Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript
I have several courses completed at Sophia and wanted them to be on an official college transcript. However, I am not intending to pursue a degree at that institution. What would be the best way to do this?

Also, would the courses I transfer from Sophia to an official transcript be equivalent to taking those courses directly at the institution that issued the official transcript? Meaning, would the transcript have the same accreditation as if I took the courses at that college?

Thanks so much.
(08-30-2022, 03:07 AM)Student3452 Wrote: I have several courses completed at Sophia and wanted them to be on an official college transcript. However, I am not intending to pursue a degree at that institution. What would be the best way to do this?

Why would you do this? There are a couple of good reasons and some bad reasons.

(08-30-2022, 03:07 AM)Student3452 Wrote: Also, would the courses I transfer from Sophia to an official transcript be equivalent to taking those courses directly at the institution that issued the official transcript? Meaning, would the transcript have the same accreditation as if I took the courses at that college?

This is one of the bad reasons. No, it will show as transfer credit. This may be sufficient for some schools, but will not work for others. They will almost certainly still want to see the original transcripts.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Ah, the old credit laundering idea. I'm afraid the answer is no, you can't trick schools that don't accept alternative credit into accepting it that way.

The idea can be useful for employers who want to see certain courses, and for some government or professional certifications which require credits like becoming a CPA.

As far as how to do it, some schools have a credit banking option for this purpose. You can also go ahead and enroll as a degree seeking student, even if you have no intention of pursuing the degree.

P.S. It's usually much easier to get help around here if you simply state what you are trying to do without beating around the bush.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(08-30-2022, 05:04 AM)davewill Wrote: Ah, the old credit laundering idea. I'm afraid the answer is no, you can't trick schools that don't accept alternative credit into accepting it that way.

The answer for that is actually kind of "it depends". South Texas College doesn't normally accept ACE credit. But they've been found to do so for some purposes if that credit is first put onto a TESU transcript. Similar to how students have been told that they need to get FEMA credits added to a Frederick Community College transcript for them to be accepted by Excelsior. (The FCC step may no longer be needed for Excelsior students.)

So, credit laundering is a bad idea and won't work. But there are some instances that appear, at first, to be credit laundering but are, instead, simply weird policies.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • Arto, origamishuttle, Pikachu
@Student3452, What exactly are you trying to do? Could you provide more details? Most schools, if not all will take ACE or NCCRS credits as transfer credit. It will be placed on their transcripts and noted they were transferred in. These courses won't bump up your GPA or anything, all it will do is exempt you from needing to take the required course at the institution you want to finish at. Having these on a transcript will work if you are looking to get a pay raise or bump in position and they're asking to see an Associates or up to 60 credits. I would use a credit banking option for this...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-30-2022, 12:02 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Having these on a transcript will work if you are looking to get a pay raise or bump in position and they're asking to see an Associates or up to 60 credits.  I would use a credit banking option for this...

Instead of expensive credit banking, I'd go with the FREE Pierpont degree for US residents if an Associate degree is required and OP doesn't already have one.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(08-30-2022, 05:04 AM)davewill Wrote: Ah, the old credit laundering idea. I'm afraid the answer is no, you can't trick schools that don't accept alternative credit into accepting it that way.

The idea can be useful for employers who want to see certain courses, and for some government or professional certifications which require credits like becoming a CPA.

As far as how to do it, some schools have a credit banking option for this purpose. You can also go ahead and enroll as a degree seeking student, even if you have no intention of pursuing the degree.

P.S. It's usually much easier to get help around here if you simply state what you are trying to do without beating around the bush.

My idea was to use my Sophia credits towards becoming a CPA. So I was thinking to get those credits on an official transcript so that I can use them. Would that work and if yes, what would be the best college to transfer them to? Thanks.
Whether that would work or not would depend on your state's rules & regulations regarding becoming a CPA. Some have much more strict requirements than others.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
I have several courses completed at Sophia and wanted them to be on an official college transcript so that I can use them towards the 150 credit requirement for becoming a CPA. If I get them on an official transcript, would they be accepted towards the 150 credit requirement? I don’t need to get a Bachelors degree at that college. I just need my Sophia credits on the transcripts so that I can use them towards the 150 credit CPA requirement. What would be the best college for me to transfer them to? State is California. 

Would this be the same idea as taking courses at FEMA and transferring them to Frederick College to use them towards the 150 credit requirement?

Thanks.
(08-30-2022, 12:43 PM)Student3452 Wrote: My idea was to use my Sophia credits towards becoming a CPA. So I was thinking to get those credits on an official transcript so that I can use them. Would that work and if yes, what would be the best college to transfer them to? Thanks.

Yes, that has worked for some people here. It depends on your state, as noted above. The cheapest way I know to do this is to enroll at TESU as a degree seeking student (could be an associates or a second bachelors) by signing up for a 1cr TECEP (which you don't have to take if you don't wish to). That will give you a year to add credits to your transcript. You will be under no obligation to actually take courses towards the degree. They also have a $300 credit banking option that does essentially the same thing.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • Arto, Pikachu

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Speed of Completion of Sophia.org Courses colonelcamp 5 210 04-26-2024, 06:23 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 119 63,651 04-25-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: gamebradie
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 12 515 04-24-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 6 949 04-23-2024, 03:22 PM
Last Post: hsufeng
  FREE Voucher for Microsoft AI Skills Challenge coming soon - potential ACE credits BritStudent 8 715 04-23-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: hsufeng
  Sophia Human Biology lab tdat314 1 154 04-22-2024, 06:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 574 04-18-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,515 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Excelsior Transfer Credits, limit? Stoffelhoff89 4 225 04-16-2024, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Stoffelhoff89
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 816 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill