Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition
If anyone has taken the Modern States version, can you tell me if it would be good for someone who really struggles with writing? If not, do you have some suggestions on options that aren’t too hard, but also will teach the basics you will need going forward?
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
(04-08-2024, 08:06 PM)Vle045 Wrote: If anyone has taken the Modern States version, can you tell me if it would be good for someone who really struggles with writing? If not, do you have some suggestions on options that aren’t too hard, but also will teach the basics you will need going forward?

For someone who struggles with writing, the solution is to write more. Yeah, it sucks. But it's like any other skill. I would honestly recommend the ASU classes for someone who struggles. They will give a lot of practice, though not quite as much as an actual class. They also have a lot of good reference material linked and there are "tutors" to help students who have questions. Study.com, Sophia, ModernStates, etc. are all self-study with little/no extra support or reference material. Each class at ASU is $25. If the student doesn't pass the ASU class, they may stlll pass the CLEP exam and they don't have to pay the $400 transcription fee. If they do pass the ASU class, they can transcript it or not depending on budget/grade/etc.

ASU classes will be accepted at probably 98-99% of other colleges and universities. CLEP exams, on the other hand, may be as low as 70-80% acceptance - if I had to guess. Not even Excelsior accepts the English Comp CLEP exams (though TESU and UMPI do). If the student hasn't yet picked a school, ASU will be a relatively cheap way to get near-guaranteed credit.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • allvia, jch
(04-09-2024, 06:23 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(04-08-2024, 08:06 PM)Vle045 Wrote: If anyone has taken the Modern States version, can you tell me if it would be good for someone who really struggles with writing?  If not, do you have some suggestions on options that aren’t too hard, but also will teach the basics you will need going forward?

For someone who struggles with writing, the solution is to write more. Yeah, it sucks. But it's like any other skill. I would honestly recommend the ASU classes for someone who struggles. They will give a lot of practice, though not quite as much as an actual class. They also have a lot of good reference material linked and there are "tutors" to help students who have questions. Study.com, Sophia, ModernStates, etc. are all self-study with little/no extra support or reference material. Each class at ASU is $25. If the student doesn't pass the ASU class, they may stlll pass the CLEP exam and they don't have to pay the $400 transcription fee. If they do pass the ASU class, they can transcript it or not depending on budget/grade/etc.

ASU classes will be accepted at probably 98-99% of other colleges and universities. CLEP exams, on the other hand, may be as low as 70-80% acceptance - if I had to guess. Not even Excelsior accepts the English Comp CLEP exams (though TESU and UMPI do). If the student hasn't yet picked a school, ASU will be a relatively cheap way to get near-guaranteed credit.

Thanks.  This is one of the options that I considered suggesting for him.  But I was looking for a cheaper option.  I hadn’t thought about mix & match with CLEP.  But as far as actually being able to learn, ASU might be the better option.  I do like the low risk if it doesn’t work out.  Do they allow you to keep paying the $25 to take it over and over until you get the grade you want?  Like… if you really want to get to the A but it might take several tries….
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
Yup, they do! IIRC, there is a "cooldown" period before you can do that. I'm not sure if you have to wait a full year or if you can ask to retake it sooner. When you finish a class with a passing grade (C or above), you have 12 months to put it on a transcript.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Somebody knows if Workplace composition I or II work also for TESU like it did for UMPI?
(04-09-2024, 01:20 PM)Kab Wrote: Somebody knows if Workplace composition I or II work also for TESU like it did for UMPI?

Probably won't work. TESU is, unfortunately, very specific about the English Comp requirements. They may come in as ENC-2010 and ENC-2020 or similar and those wouldn't meet the requirements. But we won't know until someone reports back what equivalencies TESU gives to those two classes.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Kab

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Speed of Completion of Sophia.org Courses colonelcamp 5 211 04-26-2024, 06:23 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 119 63,672 04-25-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: gamebradie
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 12 516 04-24-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 6 950 04-23-2024, 03:22 PM
Last Post: hsufeng
  Sophia Human Biology lab tdat314 1 154 04-22-2024, 06:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 575 04-18-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,518 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 817 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 278 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 1,035 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab