Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Do you really read the whole textbook from A-Z?
KittenMittens Wrote:I haven't purposely skipped over feedback for the exam that may or could have said it was easy (though there wasn't much indicating this assertion you make). I merely went to the test taker subscriber's forum where people post their thoughts on exams, and I didn't dig through the deep realms of the Internet. I put more emphasis on what students' general impressions are over what the official neutral test descriptions are. They're not going to tell you that an exam is hard or easy. But I did find a few threads and most of them said it was hard with only a couple saying it was easy, but most saying that preparing for it was quite involved. Again, this exam could very well be easy as you mention (I don't think the typical forum user may realize that), it's just not very accessible or centrally located to be readily obvious - you'd really really have to dig for that trace comment you mention where you're putting the trust in the opinion of one person and not many.

Here's an aggregate of links regarding the exam I found through a google search, and I'll make a tally of what the impressions of these people were. After about 10 pages or so, noiseConfusedignal ratio was too high, so I just focused on gleaning information from those 10 pages:

http://www.degreeforum.net/specific-exam...ation.html

3/4 posts saying its hard and time-intensive to prepare for.

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...ation.html

Comments are generally neutral saying that its passable but with ample studying and prep. HorseManiac thought it was very difficult.

Consensus is that the exam is hard (from 2008)

One person says its straightforward but has a like for taxation.

http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...ement.html

This is thread talking about finding easy TECEPs and Yanji indicates some exams that are easier than others but indicates that it should be avoided if you dislike accounting and mentions you'd have to study 2-3x for this one compared to other ones.

In fact in this very thread you mention that "you wouldn't say TECEP in Taxation is easy"

Beyond these links, there is little to no other information about this exam besides people wondering about the difficulty and being unanswered.

In one of the threads you explicitly mention that this TECEP isn't exactly easy either, yet here you are saying it is, and from all the aggregate comments I could reasonably find, majority said it was not straightforward as you state it is. So how can you imply I'm being disingenuous when I couldn't find much data saying that this exam was easy? Majority of the comments had a fear or observation that you'd have to study hard for this exam, and that it was difficult.

Even if we assume you're correct on this (though the data I've shown clearly shows otherwise), it's all over the place, and not in one easy to access and comprehend location. Scattered and messy raw data is meaningless without proper context especially if you can't easily find it. Like I said I'm not against TECEPs, I'm against uncertainty, and difficulty in not knowing what to anticipate. That means having review materials, practice exams, ample test results, and abundant discussions that reach some sort of consensus. I'm not alone on this by any means - it's just that the posts/threads on these issues are scattered throughout the forum and through time, and the OP is proof of that.

Anyways, I don't want to derail the thread, so I'll keep quiet on this issue on this thread from here on out - my only point was that the concern about TECEPs being a PITA is a very valid one as the OP and many others like myself have indicated. That is all.

I didn't say the exam was easy, but I didn't say the exam was difficult either. All I said in this thread is that Federal Income Taxation is open book, and there is no need to read the whole tax code. Others said the exam was easy, which gave me the confidence to take the exam cold. I did say that there is more than enough time to look up the answers. If someone were to spend a few hours completing practice questions in the tax books, then the exam probably would be easy. I went into the test not remembering anything about taxation.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Messages In This Thread
Do you really read the whole textbook from A-Z? - by sanantone - 04-08-2015, 12:03 PM
Do you really read the whole textbook from A-Z? - by NYCMIA777 - 04-19-2015, 11:07 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You've been reading wrong all your life. How to read 1000 pages a day. LevelUP 2 464 04-17-2024, 08:24 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Perlego: Startup for "all you can read" textbooks bjcheung77 7 1,320 09-08-2023, 04:03 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Do you read the syllabus? bjcheung77 9 1,494 01-27-2022, 12:50 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  One of the Worst Education Articles I've Read sanantone 19 3,099 04-08-2019, 02:34 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Another Textbook Option AngelaP 5 875 03-13-2016, 10:23 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Humanities Textbook Debugjaws 1 658 10-06-2015, 11:46 AM
Last Post: cstock
  social psychology by aronson textbook editions ladylearner 1 654 05-14-2015, 12:31 PM
Last Post: AngelaP
  Do you read everything that is assigned to you? soliloquy 15 1,680 04-28-2015, 07:58 PM
Last Post: Devanna
  Using a digital textbook during straighterline tests? Kaskadian 3 992 03-17-2015, 10:10 PM
Last Post: CollegeKid
  TECEP Exams Textbook Clarification heidi08 13 1,699 02-04-2015, 02:18 PM
Last Post: bricabrac