Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perlego: Startup for "all you can read" textbooks
These guys "Perlego" want to become the "Spotify for textbooks"...  I guess they have competition with other big names in the textbook rental arena!  I wonder if this will pan out well as there are so many other players in the field already, but they did raise $50 million, so I guess there are plenty of supporters.  In the end though, most students will take out the cheapest, or easiest rental they can get versus purchasing an older used paper copy....

Link: Perlego raises $50M to build out its vision of being the ‘Spotify for textbooks’ | TechCrunch
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
This is a great concept depending on how much they're charging students to rent textbooks. The price of textbooks absolutely factors into which classes students take. I was looking at a class that I am really interested in taking until I saw it required a $236 textbook. Nope. Not happening. I'm not that interested in a class. I've dropped classes in the past when I discovered the required books cost several hundred collars. Do professors forget that most college students don't have a million dollar bank account? I know they want to support their buddies, but don't you have a duty to your students? There was hope that digital textbooks would drop the price of textbooks, but that hasn't happen. Some digital books are more than a printed version. WHY?????? All of this really just supports what students have said for decades - that textbook prices are a scam.

I have a professor this semester who doesn't use textbooks. Instead she uses business books. The price difference is astounding. I bought 3 business books on Amazon for my Kindle app for under $50 which was less than the printed versions. This really makes that class with a $236 textbook look like a joke. That book costs almost as much as 1 credit! I really hope open source books really become more of a norm.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • carrythenothing, katsiki
As I recall like 2 main textbook publishers control 75% of the market.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
According to their pricing page, it's $18 a month (or $12 a month if you prepay for a whole year). A good deal IMO.
https://www.perlego.com/pricing
[-] The following 2 users Like msganti's post:
  • rachel83az, ss20ts
It might not be worth it if enough of your classes also require digital access codes (included in new textbooks or available as separate purchases).
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
(04-04-2022, 09:42 AM)carrythenothing Wrote: It might not be worth it if enough of your classes also require digital access codes (included in new textbooks or available as separate purchases).

That digital access code is such a joke. It's just a money grab from publishers. College textbooks are one of the biggest scams out there.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • rachel83az
I agree with you that Perlego has some fierce competition in the textbook rental space, but they seem to be making a name for themselves with their "all you can read" model.
Bumping this thread. While TESU's specific textbooks aren't listed, so far as I can tell, Perlego still offers beneficial study materials for the free TECEP promo..
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You've been reading wrong all your life. How to read 1000 pages a day. LevelUP 2 224 04-17-2024, 08:24 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Why Shaquille O’Neal led edtech startup Edsoma’s $2.5M seed round bjcheung77 2 307 10-03-2023, 11:00 AM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Skip the Startup, Invest in Me! bjcheung77 0 349 04-03-2022, 05:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Do you read the syllabus? bjcheung77 9 1,258 01-27-2022, 12:50 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Multiverse (Apprenticeship Startup) bjcheung77 0 430 11-01-2021, 06:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Credit Providers that uses real textbooks? msa145 4 1,039 04-07-2020, 01:02 PM
Last Post: Library2HospitalChaplain
  Textbooks—Huge, Expensive, and Out of Print pws 1 1,624 04-18-2019, 10:21 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  One of the Worst Education Articles I've Read sanantone 19 2,677 04-08-2019, 02:34 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Cheap textbooks. Danielp 7 2,329 08-27-2018, 07:37 AM
Last Post: eLearner
  Penn Foster Textbooks bjcheung77 9 4,812 05-30-2016, 08:29 PM
Last Post: AngelaP