Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Certificates for Enrolled Students
I'm working on a BSBA in Accounting & Finance and would also like to simultaneously get a certificate or two in other areas. What isn't clear to me is whether I will have to take 9 semester hours toward the certificate at TESU as an enrolled student. I do intend to do 15 credits the semester I do the Capstone, but it would be good to know in advance if I have to use 9 of those to get the certificate.
You can transfer in all the credits required for the certificates as long as you are graduating with the associates/bachelors.  You only need to do the 9 credits at TESU if you're not going for an associates or bachelors.  You can get a max of 2 Associates, 2 Bachelors, and a few Certificates all at once if you pay the residency waiver fee or if you do the flat rate of 15 credits for residency, there are a couple certificates that aren't available - Entrepreneurship and International Business, otherwise the BS/BSBA AOS are all covered.

Associates add-ons: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...gree_Plans
Certificate add-ons: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...cate_Plans
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Yenisei
Thank you very much for the thorough explanation!
You can not get the same cert as your major.
I've decided to use the residency waiver instead of taking 15 credits in a single term. I have 9 Finance credits that were earned before my first bachelor's degree and 9 afterward. I know that I can't use the credits earned before my first bachelor's was awarded in the Finance AOS, but what about toward an Undergraduate Certificate in Finance?
(05-15-2024, 06:05 PM)Yenisei Wrote: I've decided to use the residency waiver instead of taking 15 credits in a single term. I have 9 Finance credits that were earned before my first bachelor's degree and 9 afterward. I know that I can't use the credits earned before my first bachelor's was awarded in the Finance AOS, but what about toward an Undergraduate Certificate in Finance?

Was your bachelor AOS Finance? If so, then you cannot earn a certificate in Finance.  Now if you graduated with only an AOS in Accouting, and now you want a certificate in Finance that is possible, and you can use some of those credits earned prior to your bachelor.  50% of the credits need to be earned after the bachelor, and can be transferred in - you just need to let them know this when you apply for the certificate, and be aware you will have to pay the certificate waiver fee. I speak from experience as I have an Accounting certificate pending (I'm preplanned with TESU to transfer in 6 credits from SDC for it); I just haven't been motivated enough  to get it done, or pay the waiver (yet).

Also, to confirm you have already graduated with your TESU BSBA, and you're now planning to add on the certificate post BSBA? If you haven't graduated with the BSBA yet, then it would be a 2nd AOS vs a certificate.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Thanks for that explanation. My first bachelor's was in Economics from an RA school other than TESU. I'm currently pursuing a BSBA with an Accounting AOS. If I can't get a Finance certificate, I can still take some more Finance courses from Study.com and get the Finance AOS. But I'll ask about the certificate. AFAIK, if I get a certificate at the same time I get a bachelor's, I only need to pay the residency waiver for the bachelor's.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Yenisei's post:
  • allvia

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free TECEPs Offer for Accepted-but-not-Enrolled PLEX 3 495 03-20-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 567 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Degree plans - Second bachelor's degree, ASNSM, and certificates carrythenothing 6 1,990 01-06-2024, 04:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  International students would like to ask some questions. Ron9 4 985 11-02-2023, 11:25 AM
  If classes start Monday, December 5th, are you enrolled? Insert Name 2 555 12-02-2022, 05:10 PM
Last Post: Insert Name
  For those who have earned certificates from TESU - what do they look like? Amberlinjeanne 3 994 09-17-2022, 01:23 AM
  Old Student Re-Enrolled..still under 2014-15 Catalog loops77 20 2,076 09-17-2022, 01:06 AM
  Does TESU have a “what if” type section for their students? Insert Name 5 1,548 06-16-2022, 03:04 PM
Last Post: jch
  Free study resources for TESU students! rachel83az 7 1,464 03-08-2022, 04:25 AM
Last Post: Dorothy44
  New Wiki page: Certificates rachel83az 25 3,661 02-20-2022, 07:34 PM
Last Post: CarpeDiem8