Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
20 Credits to 120 Credits Big 3 vs WGU
Hi All... I just discovered the whole idea of credit by examination, the BIG 3, and WGU. A lot of this discovery came from these forums, so thanks so much for that!:hurray: I am actually wondering why I didn't find this sooner, and I'm anxious to work through my degree!

I currently have about 20 credits from a CC, and I'm looking to pursue a BS in Business Administration. I have many years of experience in Business, and a B&M school just isn't viable to me because I need to work daily. I am also looking to push on to an MBA once I am finished.

My question is for those who are more experienced, what are your thoughts on me perusing the BSBA part of my degree at WGU vs the Big 3? I was leaning towards WGU, but it seems like it might be easier to just take CLEP/DSST exams at TESC or COSC for the BSBA portion of my education.

For anyone who has experience, how would you rate the CLEP/DSST exams for almost all of your degree versus testing out of exams at WGU? I am leary of enrolling to WGU because it seems like once you join you can't really look back unless you want to be out $3500 for the semester since it is difficult to transfer credits somewhere else, however I could theoretically transfer CLEP/DSST exams to WGU if I decide that I don't want to keep "clepping."

My main concern is speed. I would like to finish all 120 of my credits within 9 months - or 12 months at the max. I see people are finishing their Masters in as little as one semester at WGU, but haven't read too much about people finishing a BS from very little credits in the same amount of time.

Anyone have any thoughts and recommendations? Thanks again for all the awesome knowledge everyone has packed into these forums. For the first time finishing school actually seems like a possibility for me! :coolgleam:
Check this out. http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...-days.html If you're disciplined enough, you can do it. (As someone who's on the 37-year plan [for college], this makes me want to weep.)

Welcome, and good luck.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
I had no problems transferring my WGU credits to the Big 3. They all three accepted most of the credits, but Charter Oak accepted the most credits. It all depends on what you want to do. You could finish all your credits at one school, or enroll at only one. Or you could even enroll in WGU, test out of as many courses as you can, and then transfer to one of the big 3 (which is basically what I did). Right now, I have to take 2 more exams, the cornerstone, and the capstone at Charter Oak, and I'll finally be finished.
publius2k4,

How would you compare the tests at WGU versus the standard CLEP/DSST exams? Also, out of curiosity what made you transfer from WGU to Charter Oak? Out of all the threads I've read, you're the first I've seen who transferred away from WGU (and had no problems).

Thanks for the feedback! And holy cow to the the person who did 22 exams in 4 days. Big Grin Are you guys all geniuses on here? I'm a pretty smart guy, but I don't want to get my hopes up and find out that I'm in way over my head.
I have no experience with WGU, but it seems more feasible to finish a business degree at one of the Big 3 in 6 months through testing than it is to finish the equivalent of 100 or so credits through coursework at WGU. WGU can be tedious and that's why most people leave when they do leave from what I've heard.

Is it true that once you lock in your degree plan at WGU, you can't modify? That means you can't decide to test out of a module or transfer in a course after you've started.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I honestly can't comment on the content of the exams, because I haven't taken any duplicate courses (no 2 tests with the same content). The WGU exams are much more convenient than taking CLEP or DSST because they let you use a webcam proctor.

I transferred because I took all of the exams at WGU that I could, and had too many courses left that involved me writing....I test really well, but I hate homework lol.

The best way to see if taking the degree by exam path is right for you is to just go take a test. There are 5 CLEP exams that are worth 6 credits each. One of those might be a good place to start, because it will give you momentum, and it will tell you how well you might do. I wouldn't recommend taking anything in a subject you're not comfortable with...yet.....baby steps... If you go take a test and decide it's not right for you, you're only out $100.
sanantone Wrote:Is it true that once you lock in your degree plan at WGU, you can't modify? That means you can't decide to test out of a module or transfer in a course after you've started.

Yes, it's true....and that's my biggest complaint with WGU. I took the College Composition CLEP after starting WGU and I was uber-angry when they wouldn't let me transfer it in. It's a great school, but them not allowing you to transfer in courses after you start your degree is a source of major headache.
sanantone Wrote:Is it true that once you lock in your degree plan at WGU, you can't modify? That means you can't decide to test out of a module or transfer in a course after you've started.

I've done searches and can't seem to find the answer, but remember this being talked about. Can someone clarify this statement?
AAS in Environmental Safety & Security Technologies from TESC - Completed 2014
and BA Emergency & Disaster Mgmt at American Military University with a minor in Security Management - Completed

Completed:
FEMA: 20 credit hours, B&M: 33 credit hours, AARTS: 14 credit hours, certifications
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpret. Literature CLEP - 66, English Composition Modular CLEP - 58, American Government CLEP - 58, Social Sciences & History CLEP - 63
DSST: Intro to Computing DSST - 452
Straighterline: Business Ethics (88%), Criminal Justice (94%), World Religions (93%), Cultural Anthropology (92%), Intro to Sociology (94%)
TECEP: CIS 107, ENGL 102, PSY 270, BIO 208
A little old, but thought I'd pipe in. Doing some research on WGU for my husband, found this on Straighterline's website:

"The tuition credit is $50 per course for the first four (4) StraighterLine courses transferred upon admission to WGU ($200 maximum). To qualify, courses must be (1) completed before his or her first term of enrollment at WGU and (2) eligible for transfer to WGU. WGU applies the tuition credit to the student's first-term tuition bill at WGU.

Once a student establishes AAV (academic activity verification) or confirms which courses they will complete at WGU, WGU is unable to transfer in additional coursework."

So you have to decide on all of your transfer activity AFTER admission but BEFORE enrollment.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:So you have to decide on all of your transfer activity AFTER admission but BEFORE enrollment.

This is correct. WGU will not accept any transfer credit after admission to the program. So, if you plan on using CLEP/DSST, definitely knock those out before admission.

dmjacobsen http://donaldjacobsen.com
Author, nurse, and all-around awesome guy
MSN Executive Leadership - The University of Memphis - 2016
MBA Healthcare Management - Western Governors University - 2015

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheap, easy graded credits for increasing GPA. Treach 9 863 09-05-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: karehiro
  Does any institution apply over 90 transfer credits? hlg38 7 747 08-24-2024, 12:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Transferring credits ecomony 8 413 08-19-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Question about TESC credits robertturner 0 218 07-25-2024, 03:09 AM
Last Post: robertturner
  Transfer Credits for Certificates 3ichael7ambert 9 923 05-30-2024, 08:16 PM
  So... I Asked IU if they accept ACE credits, they do! elcastor21 22 3,094 05-15-2024, 04:02 AM
Last Post: Travellifter
  Best Options For Fast Credits harrypotter 11 1,077 05-10-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: harrypotter
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 8 2,258 04-25-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 2,911 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 1,560 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl