Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XAMK question
(08-21-2021, 01:12 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I have not yet completed any Master level XAMK courses. I have one scheduled but it doesn't start for another month (Chinese Business Culture).

I do take more than one course at a time, yes. Depending on the course, I usually spend 1-3 hours per week per course reading everything and doing whatever assignment/quizzes need to be done. But I'm a fast reader, so someone with a slower reading speed might expect to spend 3-5 hours per course. If it's a course with multiple essays, I would probably expect to spend even more time writing them.

I would suggest only doing 1 or 2 XAMK courses at a time to start. You can always add more if you're comfortable with the course load.
Thanks!
Hope a XAMK expert replies to this post Smile.  I found a course on XAMK that I think will apply to my degree.  It is called Nutrition for Sports and Physical Activity.  It has 3 units, the first one is worth 1 ECTS, the other 2 are worth 2 ECTS.  I *think* I might only need the first unit, "Basic Nutrition" to fulfill the TESU required course "BIO-209 Science of Nutrition."  The TESU catalog makes it seem like a fairly basic course:  The Science of Nutrition is designed to provide students with the foundational knowledge of basic nutritional science.  My question is:  can I separate this part of the XAMK unit out and only do Unit 1?  Second question:  When ACEI evaluates the courses for the transcripts "up to 10" courses would the "entire" Nutrition for Sports and Physical Activity come to 3 of the 10 or more/less than that?  Third question:  The nutrition course uses the phrase "Non-Stop Start" is that the same as Continuous Start, meaning self-paced?  Thank you!!!       
(09-11-2021, 04:40 PM)k-k-k-katy Wrote: Hope a XAMK expert replies to this post Smile.  I found a course on XAMK that I think will apply to my degree.  It is called Nutrition for Sports and Physical Activity.  It has 3 units, the first one is worth 1 ECTS, the other 2 are worth 2 ECTS.  I *think* I might only need the first unit, "Basic Nutrition" to fulfill the TESU required course "BIO-209 Science of Nutrition."  The TESU catalog makes it seem like a fairly basic course:  The Science of Nutrition is designed to provide students with the foundational knowledge of basic nutritional science.  My question is:  can I separate this part of the XAMK unit out and only do Unit 1?  Second question:  When ACEI evaluates the courses for the transcripts "up to 10" courses would the "entire" Nutrition for Sports and Physical Activity come to 3 of the 10 or more/less than that?  Third question:  The nutrition course uses the phrase "Non-Stop Start" is that the same as Continuous Start, meaning self-paced?  Thank you!!!       
You probably could, but it'll be a waste of money to only do one course and get it evaluated for 200 dollars. The two Non-Stop Start courses I took were self-paced. For ACEI it depends on how XAMK puts them on the transcripts how they evaluate it.
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

Agree with ROYISAGIRL. Take as many XAMK courses as you can. Also, the way XAMK courses work (aside from the Game Design certificate), I'm not sure that you could take just the 1 ECTS portion. Maybe. Maybe not.

I'm not sure where you get "up to 10 courses" from with ACEI. I've been looking over the site and I don't see this anywhere.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(09-11-2021, 05:12 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Agree with ROYISAGIRL. Take as many XAMK courses as you can. Also, the way XAMK courses work (aside from the Game Design certificate), I'm not sure that you could take just the 1 ECTS portion. Maybe. Maybe not.

I'm not sure where you get "up to 10 courses" from with ACEI. I've been looking over the site and I don't see this anywhere.
Thank you both for the quick replies!!  I really agree that having to go the extra mile (and $) to get courses evaluated I do want to maximize the effort.  Honestly, now I don't know where I *thought* I saw the "up to 10 courses" reference!  Super glad to think that won't be a factor for the evaluation, though.  At my last count we were considering over 10 courses.  I'm trying to budget time and get efficient with the credits, we are over by several, several for the degree plan as it is so I was also in my frugal mode.  Super grateful for the clarification!

Also, not sure if "Non-Stop Start" is the same thing as "Continuous Start" and if they both mean self-paced, so that's the other thing I'm trying to figure out today (day off).  In the meantime the Gerontology Course doesn't have either of those terms and they show a date of 2017 so I am not sure it is still a current offering.  Thanks for all the help and for replying!
Non-stop start and continuous start should mean roughly the same thing. They should be (mostly) self-paced. One or two of them might have exams/due dates that are X days after you signed up for the course. The best way to find out would be to sign up. Smile

https://www.xamk.fi/en/open-amk-courses/...ects-cr-2/
Quote:GERONTOLOGICAL NURSING (NONSTOP START), 5 ECTS CR

Time: Students can start their studies approximately within a week after enrolling on this course, except July. The estimated time for completing this course is three months. Next start 10.8.2021.

Sounds like this one is completely self-paced, at least. I don't see 2017 mentioned anywhere.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • k-k-k-katy
(09-11-2021, 05:54 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Non-stop start and continuous start should mean roughly the same thing. They should be (mostly) self-paced. One or two of them might have exams/due dates that are X days after you signed up for the course. The best way to find out would be to sign up. Smile

https://www.xamk.fi/en/open-amk-courses/...ects-cr-2/
Quote:GERONTOLOGICAL NURSING (NONSTOP START), 5 ECTS CR

Time: Students can start their studies approximately within a week after enrolling on this course, except July. The estimated time for completing this course is three months. Next start 10.8.2021.

Sounds like this one is completely self-paced, at least. I don't see 2017 mentioned anywhere.
Thanks!!
I enrolled in Business English, 3 ECTS cr. But I didn't get any user id for the learning portal. Wrote 3 emails regarding this, and didn't get any response. This course starts tomorrow, thinking of dropping it. People who are successful, what was the process to get a user id if you don't live in Finland and don't have a Finnish banking id.
All I did was write an email stating that I needed an ID. Which address did you use? I just checked one of my recent classes and it says:

Quote:If you don’t have a Finnish online banking service, send us a message to iina.hoteila@xamk.fi
Quote:If you couldn’t get your IDs from electronic authentication service, or they don’t work, please contact iina.hoteila@xamk.fi or openstudies@xamk.fi.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Pikachu
(09-11-2021, 10:17 PM)learning_spree Wrote: I enrolled in Business English, 3 ECTS cr. But  I didn't get any user id for the learning portal. Wrote 3 emails regarding this, and didn't get any response. This course starts tomorrow, thinking of dropping it. People who are successful, what was the process to get a user id if you don't live in Finland and don't have a Finnish banking id.

Just send an email to the address given and wait for several working days. Late by several days are not a problem, most of them don't have a long deadline, so no worry.
In Progress:
BS Statistics + BS Physics, Indonesia, 2023
MSc ML/AI (LJMU, UK), 2022
Completed:
PGDip ML/AI (IIITB, India), 2021
BE Civil Engineering, Universitas Pelita Harapan, 2017

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about admission hueyhoang 3 349 08-31-2024, 10:35 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Prerequisite and credit transfer question kblue6494 4 265 08-29-2024, 10:37 AM
Last Post: kblue6494
  Question about the 1 credit RA self-paced class from ASU sparkling 6 1,953 08-28-2024, 10:42 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  XAMK ROYISAGIRL 130 22,973 07-31-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Question about TESC credits robertturner 0 227 07-25-2024, 03:09 AM
Last Post: robertturner
  Xamk enforces new change Avidreader 17 1,333 07-24-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: wow
  Question about LawShelf TINASAM 6 482 07-04-2024, 10:20 AM
Last Post: TINASAM
  XAMK Tourism Diploma rachel83az 22 4,915 05-27-2024, 07:13 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Coming Soon: Free Diploma of HE in Tourism & Service Business Management (XAMK) sarahmac 2 1,467 05-27-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: mdn
  RBA degree question Jennr2z 19 3,990 12-14-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: staceydiane