Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Xamk enforces new change
Sadly, it seems like Xamk has enacted a new rule and you forcibly need a Finnish social security number to sign up for new courses. There seems to be no way around this.
I was hoping they would continue offering their open university courses to foreigners if they paid the tuition, but it seems like they did this instead.
Well, at least I managed to sign up for a few courses right before this change happened.
Does that requirement apply to their video game certificate as well?
You could try to sign up. I didn’t test any of the videogame classes. Tried a biology and then a health science course and both cases they require that ID number with an asterisk. This requirement wasn't there when I signed up for a business class a few weeks ago.
Okay, given I have nothing to lose, I tried signing up for the videogame course and you can still sign up until August 31st!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Avidreader's post:
  • Pikachu
I remember other Finland university also requires similar things recently. Is this being new law/act in the Finland education system?
Finished: University of Derby - Computing & IT Bsc Hons

In progress: OTHM Level 7 Diploma in Strategic Management and Leadership

Planning: MBA Top-up
(06-30-2024, 11:38 PM)OtterDen Wrote: I remember other Finland university also requires similar things recently. Is this being new law/act in the Finland education system?
Briefly yes, due to the financial situation and future changes, for example: https://yle.fi/a/74-20089083

Might be later it will be improved somehow for EU/EEA students.

(06-27-2024, 01:57 PM)Avidreader Wrote: I was hoping they would continue offering their open university courses to foreigners if they paid the tuition, but it seems like they did this instead.
15 EUR per ECTS - definitely considered as subsidized, as at least 10000 EUR per year per 60 credits = ~167 EUR per credit. Also it had been said multiple times that the current tuition fee in 10-12k EUR per year does not "cover the full cost of education."
(06-30-2024, 11:38 PM)OtterDen Wrote: I remember other Finland university also requires similar things recently. Is this being new law/act in the Finland education system?

good, why should they pay for other countries to get free education?
[-] The following 1 user Likes indigoshuffle's post:
  • TINASAM
That sucks cause Xamk was a good option to get RA credit.

Some people have had a bad experience with Tel Learning.  So, I guess TECEPs are the best option for TESU.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
Can you register for anything other than the Video Game one for free still? After August, will they start charging for those who don't finish the free programs?
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(07-01-2024, 10:02 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Can you register for anything other than the Video Game one for free still?  After August, will they start charging for those who don't finish the free programs?
I could not sign up for anything else, but the business course I was approved before the change is active. To be on the safe side, I will plan on finishing it while I still can.

I finished a MOOC from U Helsinki yesterday and for now Helsinki hasn’t announced any changes. There's some open online courses in the fall season I'd like to take from them.
[-] The following 2 users Like Avidreader's post:
  • Pikachu, Tomas

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSU Post-Bacc BSCS degree name about to change sialiblo 7 1,288 09-01-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: Fred78
  XAMK ROYISAGIRL 130 22,668 07-31-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: mdn
  XAMK Tourism Diploma rachel83az 22 4,846 05-27-2024, 07:13 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Coming Soon: Free Diploma of HE in Tourism & Service Business Management (XAMK) sarahmac 2 1,439 05-27-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Upper-level credit via XAMK, Metropolia or U of Helsinki jg_nuy 0 706 12-09-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  XAMK- video game creation help Personherebb9 2 805 08-08-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: flosfillin
  Finnish Universities (XAMK etc.) (incl. CS/IT courses!) sarahmac 32 8,612 06-16-2023, 02:38 PM
Last Post: wow
  Getting HAKA access with Xamk? freddiebear 12 2,673 06-01-2023, 12:44 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  XAMK question k-k-k-katy 62 8,431 04-23-2022, 02:32 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  can't log in to XAMK Learn wow 3 946 04-14-2022, 03:58 PM
Last Post: carrythenothing