Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMPI instead of WGU?
So... as the old saying goes, "I wish I would have found this forum sooner!"

This is my first post. I am a 44 year old, mid-career IT turned marketing professional who is career-stuck without my degree, so I am decided to go to WGU and get my degree in Marketing. I have had no formal college education, this is my first foray in this realm. I am not a novice to adult learning, however, with over 15 technical certifications mainly in old Microsoft disciplines.

As it currently sits, I have 51 CUs that would transfer into WGU, mainly Sophia with 2 Saylor's thrown in...

Of course, now that I started reading up on UMPI YourPace and there seems to be be some major advantages that I can tell, namely additional Sophia courses I can take, and my Google certifications (which I have four from Coursera, the IT, Data Analyst, Project Management, and Digital Marketing) and the UX one is almost completed AS WELL as my Microsoft Azure cert from Microsoft (among the many expired technical certifications I have)

I originally started looking at WGU years ago because of the IT component but now that I am looking at a business degree (marketing) I think UMPI might be better for me and I maybe making a mistake. I have already started the process with WGU, did my FAFSA, and had my transcripts sent to them but I have not gone through the full enrollment process, my start date is setting up to be April so I have not done an intake interview or had my transcipts evaluated yet.

Am I crazy to think about putting on the brakes with WGU and entertaining UMPI? As I am not enrolled there is no penalty I am assuming and I can just send FAFSA over the UMPI? 

Interested in any feedback!
-scott
There is no penalty at this point, and several advantages to, switching to UMPI at this point. However, keep in mind that UMPI is very writing-heavy and WGU is less so. I'm not sure how much writing is in a UMPI Business degree, but it's less than UMPI. Some of the marketing classes at UMPI are reported to be very writing-heavy, even compared to other UMPI classes. If you're ready for that, great. Otherwise, UMPI may not be a good fit for you.

For UMPI, you will also need a foreign language (Spanish from Sophia) plus complete your science requirements before enrolling. You need a Biological Science and a Physical science, one of which must have a lab.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • origamishuttle, Pikachu
You can put off your enrollment at WGU almost indefinitely (each month is a new start option, don't start until YOU are ready). Also do not enroll with WGU until you have transferred in the max credits - once enrolled with WGU you cannot transfer in anymore. You should be able to transfer in the max of 90 for the degree you're interested in.  WGU is a good option for you.  With that said, it is possible that UMPI could be better. As far as FASFA all you have to do is login and add UMPI once you apply. Unlike WGU you can transfer in credits into UMPI after becoming enrolled. I'm not sure that for the WGU Marketing degree it would be any more or less writing than UMPI.

If you list your credits and certifications that you do have we could give help you max your plan for time and money (see here for listing recommendation - https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid335173)
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Thank you for the suggestions everyone!

I discussed it with my wife after doing more research and decided to stick with WGU.

Thanks again!
-scott
If you're going to stick with WGU, I'd make sure you maxed out on credits prior to enrolling. No sense letting the next month and a half going to waste when you can maximize credits, as well as your ability to finish in a single term.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-21-2023, 09:50 PM)ssweene1 Wrote: So... as the old saying goes, "I wish I would have found this forum sooner!"

This is my first post. I am a 44 year old, mid-career IT turned marketing professional who is career-stuck without my degree, so I am decided to go to WGU and get my degree in Marketing. I have had no formal college education, this is my first foray in this realm. I am not a novice to adult learning, however, with over 15 technical certifications mainly in old Microsoft disciplines.

As it currently sits, I have 51 CUs that would transfer into WGU, mainly Sophia with 2 Saylor's thrown in...

Of course, now that I started reading up on UMPI YourPace and there seems to be be some major advantages that I can tell, namely additional Sophia courses I can take, and my Google certifications (which I have four from Coursera, the IT, Data Analyst, Project Management, and Digital Marketing) and the UX one is almost completed AS WELL as my Microsoft Azure cert from Microsoft (among the many expired technical certifications I have)

I originally started looking at WGU years ago because of the IT component but now that I am looking at a business degree (marketing) I think UMPI might be better for me and I maybe making a mistake. I have already started the process with WGU, did my FAFSA, and had my transcripts sent to them but I have not gone through the full enrollment process, my start date is setting up to be April so I have not done an intake interview or had my transcipts evaluated yet.

Am I crazy to think about putting on the brakes with WGU and entertaining UMPI? As I am not enrolled there is no penalty I am assuming and I can just send FAFSA over the UMPI? 

-scott

Hello. I have started and stopped with WGU several times. The main problem I had with WGU is they only transferred 12 units. 12! They had my transcripts for a month! UMPI transferred all 70 units of my previous course work in less than a week.  All my credits are from my local community college and a state college I attended, so I couldn't understand what the issue was with WGU. Also, WGU constantly fumbled around with my financial aid.  The left hand never seemed to know what the right hand was doing over there. My experience with UMPI has been good so far.  I just accessed my FAFSA and removed WGU and added UMPI. I would check out UMPI if you have the ability to do so. Good luck!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Luv.Mint's post:
  • origamishuttle
I have attended both and graduated from both. i think it depends on the degree you are looking for in your choice of schools to attend. Since you are leaning towards a business degree, I would recommend UMPI over WGU. They are super accommodating, the course structure is decent, and real instructors give you feedback on your finals. My wife turned in the final for her last class this week. She transferred in 60 credits from Sophia an did 21 classes at UMPI. It took her 5 terms, while she was working a full time job.

I was in the process of re-attending WGU to get a BS Cloud Computing, but they are so disorganized now that I am rethinking attending. I applied as a retrun graduate student in mid-Jan and I am still waiting on an evaluation and intake.
DBA Organization Leadership - South - Expected April 2024
BA Political Science and History - UMPI - 2022
MS Cybersecurity & Information Assurance - WGU - 2021
BS Computer Science - Park U - 2018
MBA Public Administration - CSU - 2016
BS Management - Park U - 2010
AAS Communications Technology - CCAF - 2008

CEH/CHFI/SEC+/NET+/Proj+/CISSP
[-] The following 1 user Likes kidneysmasher's post:
  • origamishuttle
(02-21-2023, 09:50 PM)ssweene1 Wrote: So... as the old saying goes, "I wish I would have found this forum sooner!"

-scott
This is exactly me!  (Except for the degree field.)  What did you end up doing? It's also only $1400 versus $3k, right?
UMPI is $1400 per 8-week session.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
And post #4 literally tells you, they stuck it out with WGU. https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid387678
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Update on My Journey to UMPI BAS and MAOL Hackingat40 5 389 1 hour ago
Last Post: ss20ts
  Credit evaluation from UMPI lynnii2 5 489 6 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI Assignment for Review kakasahib 8 849 Yesterday, 09:03 PM
Last Post: thomasfrank
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 125 91,661 Yesterday, 05:54 PM
Last Post: psychcs
  Denied Admission to UMPI doctorTorres 15 688 09-17-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  BA History at UMPI course requirements majic29 9 712 09-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  UMPI English Composition I Old Guy 4 235 09-15-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: RJ77
Information UMPI Cost Increase to $1700 Per 8 Week Session Ares 0 227 09-14-2024, 05:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  NEW UMPI UNDERGRADS -- USE THE DRAFTS ashkir 35 18,580 09-13-2024, 11:01 AM
Last Post: DavidGood
  How to send Duolingo results to UMPI Solden81 4 298 09-12-2024, 08:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77