Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
UMPI Class Review Master Thread
(07-28-2023, 11:29 AM)grogers14 Wrote: Name: HTY489 History of Infectious Disease 
Subject: History 
Semester/Term: Summer 2 2023 
Instructor: Zaborney 
Long or Short?: Short
Number of Outcomes: 3
Adaptive Outcomes?: No 
Number of Milestone Activities: 2
Type of Milestone Activities: Short Responses regarding the content. 
Type of Final Assessment: 1500-word Essay
Notes & Overall Thoughts: 

If you are doing the BLS and need an easier 300-400 level class, take this one. It's short , it's not a complete history of infectious disease. Also , the final is very short , you just pick 3 diseases from the class, summarize them, and talk about their effects on society , culture, politics, and economics. So it's like three 500 word essays you lump into a single 1500 word essay .

This was actually my last class for my BLS Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin , but I will say this was probably my favorite just because medical history is a personal interest of mine. I've read books, watched documentaries, and listened to podcasts on the subject .

This is my next class/last class of the BAS and I am looking forward to it for similar reasons.  It's always been a passion.  Great review.  When I submit my draft for what I am working on today, I will request this one so probably start it Monday.  Great to see this review, I was a little worried it would bog me down.

Oh -- and Congrats on being done!
Completed
2023 UMPI Bachelor of Applied Science, Minors: Management Info Systems & Political Science, summa cum laude
2022 Pierpont BOG AAS, Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Name: Bio105 Biology for Everyday Life
Subject: Biology
Semester/Term: Summer Session 2 (July-August 2023)
Instructor: Krista Delahunty
Long or Short?: Long 
Number of Outcomes: 7 (6 real, 1 “are you ready?”)  
Number of Milestone Activities: 5 (w/ multiple parts)
Type of Milestone Activities: Something else, lab activities
Type of Final Assessment: PowerPoint

TLDR; do not take this class at UMPI 
The school ships you all the supplies you need for non-virtual labs.

Milestone 1: Scientific Method
  • Answer 7 questions
  • Design a lab experiment based on solubility (For example, sugar in water or baking soda in water)
  • Create a table based on your lab assignment
  • Create a chart based on your lab 
  • Include a photo of your lab 

Milestone 2: Explore Local Biomes and Owl Pellet Dissection
  • Create a table identifying 10 species (you have to go outside away from your home to do this activity. You will have to photograph and label each species under four-five categories, resulting in roughly 40-50 descriptions in this assignment. The professor will not accept photos from your backyard or recent vacation. These are the words used in the lab instructions.)
  • Owl pellet (you will have to dissect an owl pellet. I won’t lie, I was grossed out. I am not afraid of animals or bugs but picking the bones apart from a dead rat clumped together with leftover indigestible matter and fur almost made me gag.)

Milestone 3: Microbiology Lab
  • Microbial friends (Watch a click-through video. Answer 13 prompted/comprehension questions)
  • Bacteria sampling (This is a virtual click-through lab. Answer 20 questions and submit a screenshot.)
  • Gram stain technique (This is a virtual click-through lab. Answer 17 questions and submit a screenshot.)
  • Using a microscope (This is a virtual click-through lab. Answer 17 questions and submit a screenshot.)

Milestone 4: Genetics Lab
  • Isolation of DNA (This is a virtual click-through lab. Submit screenshot.)
  • Karyotype Analysis (This is a virtual lab activity. Submit screenshot.)
  • Monster breeding (You will create two tables, like a Punnett Square to breed a ‘monster’ and then type a report. There are two sections to this activity.
  • Pigeonetics (You will play a game breeding pigeons and then you will have to write a summary of what technique you used to breed your pigeon. Submit screenshots. Answer 3 review questions.)

Milestone 5: Lactase Enzyme Lab
  • Lactase enzyme lab (You will watch a documentary and then conduct a detailed experiment testing lactose intolerance in multiple patients. The school ships you the materials for this lab. You will then create a lab report, create a graph and submit screenshots of your lab.)

Final Assessment
  • PowerPoint of all the labs and other work you created in the course. You may also have to answer some additional questions using your ppt slides.

Professor Delahunty is a tough grader (I'm not kidding in the least bit) and will not guide you through the assignments. She will reject your milestone assignment on the most miniscule detail, so be prepared to edit your assignments based on feedback given or be on your P’s and Q’s. Some of the quiz answers are wrong, so you will need to either fail the quiz or just mark the answer to get a passing grade. I completed 5 courses at UMPI in the same amount of time it has taken to get approval to submit my final assessment for Biology class with Delahunty— no I am not exaggerating. From start to finish, it took me 3 weeks to complete all of the lab assignments plus an extra week to correct a lab assignment, totaling 4 weeks.

Delahunty took an average of 48-72 hours to respond to milestones/other assignments. I could have completed this class in 8-12 days if I did not have to wait for my milestones to be approved. For example, I would submit an assignment on a Monday morning at 8:05am and Delahunty would respond on a Wednesday at 3:00pm. I would make the necessary edits and then resubmit my assignment that same Wednesday at 3:30pm. She would not respond or affirm to the same assignment for another 2-3 days later. The goal is to get my milestone affirmed. I did not send communications outside of that reason. 

I would not advise taking this class at UMPI. It has been nothing short of a nightmarish headache. I will say it again, avoid this class at all costs if you are able to. I attended a brick-and-mortar undergrad right after high school and I never had an instructor this difficult in Science or Math. I transferred in Biology with a lab (taken in undergrad) and Environmental Science (taken at Sophia) but UMPI required me to take another science. I am pursuing BLS, Management.

*edited to make the topic titles blue in color
[-] The following 2 users Like 007007's post:
  • Pikachu, samiam
(07-28-2023, 02:12 PM)007007 Wrote: Name: Bio105 Biology for Everyday Life

• Answer 7 questions
  • Design a lab experiment based on solubility (For example, sugar in water or baking soda in water)

• Create a table identifying 10 species (you have to go outside away from your home to do this activity. You will have to photograph and label each species under four-five categories, resulting in roughly 40-50 descriptions in this assignment. The professor will not accept photos from your backyard or recent vacation. These are the words used in the lab instructions.)
  • Owl pellet (you will have to dissect an owl pellet. I won’t lie, I was grossed out. I am not afraid of animals or bugs but picking the bones apart from a dead rat clumped together with leftover indigestible matter and fur almost made me gag.)

• Microbial friends (Watch a click-through video. Answer 13 prompted/comprehension questions)
  • Bacteria sampling (This is a virtual click-through lab. Answer 20 questions and submit a screenshot.)
  • Gram stain technique (This is a virtual click-through lab. Answer 17 questions and submit a screenshot.)
  • Using a microscope (This is a virtual click-through lab. Answer 17 questions and submit a screenshot.)

• Monster breeding (You will create two tables, like a Punnett Square to breed a ‘monster’ and then type a report. There are two sections to this activity.
  • Pigeonetics (You will play a game breeding pigeons and then you will have to write a summary of what technique you used to breed your pigeon. Submit screenshots. Answer 3 review questions.)

• Lactase enzyme lab (You will watch a documentary and then conduct a detailed experiment testing lactose intolerance in multiple patients. The school ships you the materials for this lab. You will then create a lab report, create a graph and submit screenshots of your lab.)

Final Assessment
  • PowerPoint of all the labs and other work you created in the course. You may also have to answer some additional questions using your ppt slides.

Professor Delahunty is a tough grader (I'm not kidding in the least bit) and will not guide you through the assignments. She will reject your milestone assignment on the most miniscule detail, so be prepared to edit your assignments based on feedback given or be on your P’s and Q’s. Some of the quiz answers are wrong, so you will need to either fail the quiz or just mark the answer to get a passing grade. I completed 5 courses at UMPI in the same amount of time it has taken to get approval to submit my final assessment for Biology class with Delahunty— no I am not exaggerating. From start to finish, it took me 3 weeks to complete all of the lab assignments plus an extra week to correct a lab assignment, totaling 4 weeks.

Delahunty took an average of 48-72 hours to respond to milestones/other assignments. I could have completed this class in 8-12 days if I did not have to wait for my milestones to be approved. For example, I would submit an assignment on a Monday morning at 8:05am and Delahunty would respond on a Wednesday at 3:00pm. I would make the necessary edits and then resubmit my assignment that same Wednesday at 3:30pm. She would not respond or affirm to the same assignment for another 2-3 days later. The goal is to get my milestone affirmed. I did not send communications outside of that reason. 

I would not advise taking this class at UMPI. It has been nothing short of a nightmarish headache. I will say it again, avoid this class at all costs if you are able to. I attended a brick-and-mortar undergrad right after high school and I never had an instructor this difficult in Science or Math. I transferred in Biology with a lab (taken in undergrad) and Environmental Science (taken at Sophia) but UMPI required me to take another science. I am pursuing BLS, Management.

That sounds awful.  Why did they require you to take an additional science with lab?  Sounds like a nightmare course, especially for something you already took once before?
Completed
2023 UMPI Bachelor of Applied Science, Minors: Management Info Systems & Political Science, summa cum laude
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tswede's post:
  • DolceDolce
[quote pid='398608' dateline='1690571543']

• Answer 7 questions

Final Assessment

[/quote]

That sounds awful.  Why did they require you to take an additional science with lab?  Sounds like a nightmare course, especially for something you already took once before?

Tswede Hi! I have no idea. There was no explanation for why an additional science was added to my degree plan. I transferred in 122 credits collectively from undergrad, Sophia and Straighterline combined. I think maybe because there are no additional classes available to fulfill the 3E competency but that is just a guess on my part.

(Please forgive the formatting. This is my first post and I am still learning how to make replies.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes 007007's post:
  • Tswede

The school ships you all the supplies you need for non-virtual labs.

• Answer 7 questions

Final Assessment

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I forgot to add that when you dissect the owl pellet, the milestone activity requires you to arrange each bone that you find on a flat surface and label them with the anatomical names, not plain English. For example, the ribs, the pelvic bones and etc. The bones are extremely tiny and fragile. You will need a pair of tweezers or particular apparatus to extract the bones. I used a plastic fork. It took me about 3 hours to dissect the pellet (I did this on my outdoor patio), not including the written portion of the assignment. Delahunty includes in the instructions that if you do not find enough bones or the right bones, your assignment will not be satisfactory.
[-] The following 2 users Like 007007's post:
  • origamishuttle, Pikachu
(07-28-2023, 07:02 PM)007007 Wrote: I forgot to add that when you dissect the owl pellet, the milestone activity requires you to arrange each bone that you find on a flat surface and label them with the anatomical names, not plain English. For example, the ribs, the pelvic bones and etc. The bones are extremely tiny and fragile. You will need a pair of tweezers or particular apparatus to extract the bones. I used a plastic fork. It took me about 3 hours to dissect the pellet (I did this on my outdoor patio), not including the written portion of the assignment. Delahunty includes in the instructions that if you do not find enough bones or the right bones, your assignment will not be satisfactory.

Yikes! So you can fail if you get sent a "defective" pellet? That's terrible.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • origamishuttle
(07-29-2023, 02:24 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(07-28-2023, 07:02 PM)007007 Wrote: I forgot to add that when you dissect the owl pellet, the milestone activity requires you to arrange each bone that you find on a flat surface and label them with the anatomical names, not plain English. For example, the ribs, the pelvic bones and etc. The bones are extremely tiny and fragile. You will need a pair of tweezers or particular apparatus to extract the bones. I used a plastic fork. It took me about 3 hours to dissect the pellet (I did this on my outdoor patio), not including the written portion of the assignment. Delahunty includes in the instructions that if you do not find enough bones or the right bones, your assignment will not be satisfactory.

Yikes! So you can fail if you get sent a "defective" pellet? That's terrible.

Why in the world is this a lab for an online class when virtual labs are a thing?  This seems like a terrible design for a class.  Definitely glad I took a virtual lab when Sophia opened them up.

Name: POS 335 – Modern Political Thought
Subject: Political Science
Semester/Term: Summer 2 2023
Instructor: Zaborney
Long or Short?: Short
Number of Outcomes: 2 real, 1 are you ready, 1 references
Adaptive Outcomes?: No
Number of Milestone Activities: 2
Type of Milestone Activities: Short essay
Type of Final Assessment: 1500 word essay
Notes & Overall Thoughts: Pretty typical and straightforward Poli-Sci class with Zaborney.  Good mixture of previous Dr Z classes and background.  Taking this one at the end after especially taking Am Govt, EU Govt, Marxism and Arab-Israeli made this one a breeze.  I have already been exposed to most of these political ideas this semester, so that made this one a kind of nice capstone, pulling together the things I have been studying.
Completed
[-] The following 4 users Like Tswede's post:
  • origamishuttle, Pikachu, RachelB, ss20ts
We have said for a few years to avoid the science courses at UMPI at all costs. Spend the money on Sophia or Study for them. Your sanity will thank you. Both are far less work.
[-] The following 3 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • Darknigh7, origamishuttle, SophiaPrincess
Name: POS343 Marxism 
Subject: Political Science 
Long or Short?:  Short
Type of Milestone Activities: 500-word Short Response 
Notes & Overall Thoughts: Straightforward upper division class

Name: POS335 Modern Political Thought 
Subject: Political Science 
Number of Outcomes: 2
Type of Milestone Activities: 500-word short response
Notes & Overall Thoughts: Short and sweet straightforward class
[-] The following 2 users Like grogers14's post:
  • origamishuttle, Pikachu
Name: HTY439 The Vietnam Wars
Type of Milestone Activities: 500-word Essay
Notes & Overall Thoughts: Very straightforward class with Zaborney. I didn’t know a lot about the Vietnam Wars , so it was a lot of new information for me. 

Name: HTY/POS370 : Topics in Non-Western History: The Arab-Israeli Conflict 
Number of Outcomes: 2
Type of Milestone Activities: 500-word Essay
Notes & Overall Thoughts: Very Straightforward class with Zaborney. Not a lot of information to take in.
[-] The following 1 user Likes grogers14's post:
  • Pikachu

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bjcheung77 - UMPI BAS Progress Thread bjcheung77 33 4,642 8 hours ago
Last Post: Bikingrox211
  UMPI YourPace BA History & Political Science - transfer questions. Patchouli_Skoal 5 195 Yesterday, 10:48 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Personal Progress Thread DavidGood 24 1,317 10-14-2024, 10:28 PM
Last Post: Samhain408
  UMPI Accounting Assistance - Degree Plan NewbieLearner 17 1,194 10-10-2024, 11:47 AM
Last Post: NewbieLearner
  Any BUS class to add before the term ends? seven9781 7 272 10-09-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  7 Bus & Psy Courses Left - UMPI vs study.com??? radicallena 7 453 10-07-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Question regarding UMPI BAS to MAOL Hackingat40 5 403 10-02-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Hackingat40
  UMPI GPA Question joshua27 8 2,257 09-28-2024, 09:24 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  UMPI Plan and Progress AirborneAgent 26 2,200 09-27-2024, 03:10 PM
  UMPI Courses With Test klone 1 299 09-27-2024, 09:24 AM