Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMPI Minors Wiki Guide
Since minoring at UMPI seems to be becoming more popular, I thought I would create a wiki guide for UMPI minors.

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UMPI_!Minors

Let me know if there are any mistakes or other minors that can be completed.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 5 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • berlinerd, Jonathan Whatley, Kab, ktll, RachelB
(07-07-2024, 12:28 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Since minoring at UMPI seems to be becoming more popular, I thought I would create a wiki guide for UMPI minors.

Some of these aren't officially available in YourPace and you need permission to complete them. You have to transfer in some classes for them seems to be the real issue. There's been some changes to the PoliSci minor recently based on Discord.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • ashkir
Great addition ,thanks
Completed: HAU MBA | BA Economics (US) | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
(07-07-2024, 01:02 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-07-2024, 12:28 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Since minoring at UMPI seems to be becoming more popular, I thought I would create a wiki guide for UMPI minors.

Some of these aren't officially available in YourPace and you need permission to complete them. You have to transfer in some classes for them seems to be the real issue. There's been some changes to the PoliSci minor recently based on Discord.

I added an asterisk (*) for the courses that must be transferred which aren't offered by YourPace.

Also added that you need to get permission to take minors that are outside of YourPace.

I'm not aware of the PoliSci minor changes.

I'm not sure why the professional communication minor requires an odd number of 19 credits. Is that a typo? Otherwise, you would need 21 credits, as there aren't any 4-credit or 1-credit courses to hit exactly 19 credits.
http://catalog.umpi.edu/preview_program....turnto=225
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
Yeah that 19 credits has to be a typo because all of those courses are 3 credits.

The PoliSci Minor has had changes. They've talked about it on Discord. I'm not exactly sure what they are. It's not a minor I know much about.

Notes towards Chemistry and Physical Science minors:

Study.com offers courses titled Chemistry I with Lab and Chemistry II with Lab (4 cr each), but both MaineStreet and Study.com's UMPI transfer page indicate each only go to CHY 1XX Chemistry Elective. Per MaineStreet, Sophia Introduction to Chemistry and its lab and Saylor General Chemistry I also appear to go only to CHY 1XX Chemistry Elective.

Straighterline offers General Chemistry I, which does appear in MaineStreet as going to UMPI CHY 111 General Chemistry I. But Straighterline offers neither General Chemistry II nor a lab even for I.

RA sources for General Chemistry I and II with labs include Portage Learning (Geneva College) and Doane University.

Straighterline offers Organic Chemistry I and II and labs, and Biochemistry and lab (lecture portions 3 cr each, lab portions 1 cr each). None of these courses appear in MaineStreet yet.

RA sources for Organic Chemistry I and II with labs and Biochemistry with lab include Doane University.

For UMPI GEY 112 Fundamentals of Geology (4 cr), which is an option towards the Physical Science minor, if this requirement could not be satisfied via 3 cr of transfer credit in Geology e.g., from Study.com or DSST, perhaps it could be satisfied with American Public University System's 4-cr SCIN138 Introduction to Physical Geology with Lab.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • jg_nuy, LevelUP
I brought a lot of History credits with me from my own history decades ago when I spent about two years as a History major before switching to English Lit. Yeah, teenage and 20ish me was great at picking majors. Anyway, Susan M. says that I need two 300+ History classes for a History minor, but the what-if tool seems to indicate I need four. I trust her more than I trust the tool, especially me using the tool, but I wonder what creates the discrepancy. Maybe some transfer credits need to be recoded or something (or whatever the right term is for matching it to a requirement). I asked her for clarity, but for now, planning to grab that minor because why not.
(07-28-2024, 06:46 PM)Kjnova Wrote: I brought a lot of History credits with me from my own history decades ago when I spent about two years as a History major before switching to English Lit. Yeah, teenage and 20ish me was great at picking majors. Anyway, Susan M. says that I need two 300+ History classes for a History minor, but the what-if tool seems to indicate I need four. I trust her more than I trust the tool, especially me using the tool, but I wonder what creates the discrepancy. Maybe some transfer credits need to be recoded or something (or whatever the right term is for matching it to a requirement). I asked her for clarity, but for now, planning to grab that minor because why not.

The tool is for on campus students. It's never been accurate for YourPace students.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Kjnova
To close the loop on that, what happened is, the academic advisors need to add the minor and then assign the relevant classes to minor requirements. Before Susan M. added the minor to my plan, there were two classes that had not been slotted to address minor requirements, hence I needed all four 300+ classes. Susan allocated one of the two, resulting in the Degree Progress tool showing I needed three. The issue was that since UMPI offered neither of the two 300+ History classes I had transferred in, and since they were initially just free electives, they came in looking identical in terms of UMPI credit. Susan M. needed help from Jessica to update the second one so it registered as a different 300+ HTY class. Once she did that, the tool showed I needed two more, which I had already signed up for by then.

Long story short, the advisors have to do stuff and they hadn't done it yet when I was first looking. It's all resolved now.

Attached Files
.png   Screenshot 2024-07-31 at 9.03.53 PM.png (Size: 99.05 KB / Downloads: 18)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kjnova's post:
  • jg_nuy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI Criminal Justice BA YourPace Program Completed slaterjack 10 814 2 hours ago
Last Post: Bunnies2012
  bjcheung77 - UMPI BAS Progress Thread bjcheung77 30 3,879 Today, 07:12 AM
Last Post: azmusic
  European studying umpi your pace . MuneebAzhar 70 4,350 Yesterday, 02:03 PM
Last Post: kakasahib
  Framed UMPI Diploma joshua27 32 9,326 08-23-2024, 05:28 PM
Last Post: BritStudent
  Update on My Journey to UMPI BAS and MAOL Hackingat40 0 314 08-21-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: Hackingat40
  UMPI YourPace BABA UnderGrad sunjaroa 1 321 08-21-2024, 09:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Language requirements at UMPI yc1981 9 918 08-16-2024, 11:08 PM
  Transfer cybersecurity minor/major into UMPI? Robson 11 658 08-16-2024, 12:03 PM
  Need help for UMPI YourPace Admission AnnaVu 6 678 08-16-2024, 11:42 AM
  ENEB to UMPI MAOL? ecdw94 6 534 08-16-2024, 11:24 AM