Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMPI BS in Mathematics confusion
Recently I was browsing UMPIs website and came across the non yourpace maths degree. (the one without the actuarial science concentration.) I looked what courses are major specific and which are needed to graduate and I've found out that you could technically complete all math courses through the yourpace program in the AA LS or BLS. I was wondering If one could maybe just do all the necessary coursework and kindly ask whether or not it can transfer into their mathematics degree. Maybe there is something I am missing so I thought I share it with y'all so you can give me some input on that.

LiberalStudies_AA.pdf (umpi.edu)
Mathematics_BS.pdf (umpi.edu)
I recommend you ask Jessica if you can. For a while there there weren't all the courses needed for some of the degree paths, but, they have expanded quite a bit. jessica.b.winslow@maine.edu
Dr. Ashkir DHA, MBA, MAOL, PMP, GARA
[-] The following 1 user Likes ashkir's post:
  • tsgreer
(02-13-2023, 05:25 PM)IReallyNeedADegree Wrote: Recently I was browsing UMPIs website and came across the non yourpace maths degree. (the one without the actuarial science concentration.) I looked what courses are major specific and which are needed to graduate and I've found out that you could technically complete all math courses through the yourpace program in the AA LS or BLS. I was wondering If one could maybe just do all the necessary coursework and kindly ask whether or not it can transfer into their mathematics degree. Maybe there is something I am missing so I thought I share it with y'all so you can give me some input on that.

What do you mean, you could complete all the courses through YourPace?  At least when I attended UMPI (graduated December 2021), there were no statistics or calculus courses or higher-level math that required statistics or calculus as a prerequisite. Maybe that has changed, but I haven’t seen any changes on the website or discussion of that here.  Would love to know if that has changed.

Or are you saying you could do everything OTHER than the math through YourPace and transfer to being an on-campus student to finish a math degree?
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
[-] The following 1 user Likes freeloader's post:
  • ss20ts
The AALS and BS Math document the same 14 math courses required for the 'concentration'. Your main question to Jessica is, are these courses offered in the YourPace platform as I don't see the option for many math classes in any of the YourPace offerings. Most of these courses will need to come through as transfer if that's even possible for the AOS/Major to be transferred over. Again, that's the main concern is the transfer of credits, as you can transfer a max of 90 credits, 30 must be done at UMPI, you need to know what that 30 is...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(02-13-2023, 07:30 PM)freeloader Wrote:
(02-13-2023, 05:25 PM)IReallyNeedADegree Wrote: Recently I was browsing UMPIs website and came across the non yourpace maths degree. (the one without the actuarial science concentration.) I looked what courses are major specific and which are needed to graduate and I've found out that you could technically complete all math courses through the yourpace program in the AA LS or BLS. I was wondering If one could maybe just do all the necessary coursework and kindly ask whether or not it can transfer into their mathematics degree. Maybe there is something I am missing so I thought I share it with y'all so you can give me some input on that.

What do you mean, you could complete all the courses through YourPace?  At least when I attended UMPI (graduated December 2021), there were no statistics or calculus courses or higher-level math that required statistics or calculus as a prerequisite. Maybe that has changed, but I haven’t seen any changes on the website or discussion of that here.  Would love to know if that has changed.

Or are you saying you could do everything OTHER than the math through YourPace and transfer to being an on-campus student to finish a math degree?
What confuses me is that you can see in the yourpace AA in Liberal Studies that you can choose between a lot of math courses and they are as far as I know all needed math courses needed for the BS in Maths I wondered why you couldnt just finish all maths courses get the GEC and GELs done via UMPI and maybe ACE credits and graduate with the BS in Maths. Maybe I missed something maybe those courses arent available in yourpace but I assumed since they are in the yourpace AA LS brochure they must be available

(02-14-2023, 11:28 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: The AALS and BS Math document the same 14 math courses required for the 'concentration'.  Your main question to Jessica is, are these courses offered in the YourPace platform as I don't see the option for many math classes in any of the YourPace offerings.  Most of these courses will need to come through as transfer if that's even possible for the AOS/Major to be transferred over.  Again, that's the main concern is the transfer of credits, as you can transfer a max of 90 credits, 30 must be done at UMPI, you need to know what that 30 is...

Yeah thats why I started this thread I didnt know whether or not the courses really are available but I thought since they are in the pdf of the AA LS in the yourpace section they could be available
YourPace doesn't have an AALS, though? You can get one on the way to a regular Bachelor's degree, but it's not something you can actually enroll in on its own or anything.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(02-14-2023, 12:33 PM)rachel83az Wrote: YourPace doesn't have an AALS, though? You can get one on the way to a regular Bachelor's degree, but it's not something you can actually enroll in on its own or anything.

Oh I thought its possible since it is shown on the website but in the end BLS or AALS doesnt matter because If the courses are available the BS in Maths could be possible
(02-14-2023, 12:12 PM)IReallyNeedADegree Wrote: What confuses me is that you can see in the yourpace AA in Liberal Studies that you can choose between a lot of math courses and they are as far as I know all needed math courses needed for the BS in Maths I wondered why you couldnt just finish all maths courses get the GEC and GELs done via UMPI and maybe ACE credits and graduate with the BS in Maths. Maybe I missed something maybe those courses arent available in yourpace but I assumed since they are in the yourpace AA LS brochure they must be available

Technically, YourPace does not offer associate degrees so there isn't an AA in Liberal Studies. That degree is an on campus degree. There are FEW math courses offered on YourPace. Nothing like Calc or above - just Math for Business, Stats, Algebra. Those types of courses. Your PDF is not from YourPace. Technically, the only actual degrees available to YourPace students are on the YourPace website not the UMPI website. Some of the minors can be transferred in and completed, but not a whole major such as math. Also if you look at the requirements for the AA, it requires 9 credits in science. YourPace only offers 2 science courses. You need to look at this website:

https://online.umpi.edu/
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • origamishuttle
(02-14-2023, 01:38 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(02-14-2023, 12:12 PM)IReallyNeedADegree Wrote: What confuses me is that you can see in the yourpace AA in Liberal Studies that you can choose between a lot of math courses and they are as far as I know all needed math courses needed for the BS in Maths I wondered why you couldnt just finish all maths courses get the GEC and GELs done via UMPI and maybe ACE credits and graduate with the BS in Maths. Maybe I missed something maybe those courses arent available in yourpace but I assumed since they are in the yourpace AA LS brochure they must be available

Technically, YourPace does not offer associate degrees so there isn't an AA in Liberal Studies. That degree is an on campus degree. There are FEW math courses offered on YourPace. Nothing like Calc or above - just Math for Business, Stats, Algebra. Those types of courses. Your PDF is not from YourPace. Technically, the only actual degrees available to YourPace students are on the YourPace website not the UMPI website. Some of the minors can be transferred in and completed, but not a whole major such as math. Also if you look at the requirements for the AA, it requires 9 credits in science. YourPace only offers 2 science courses. You need to look at this website:

https://online.umpi.edu/
thank you for clearing things up!
(02-14-2023, 12:12 PM)IReallyNeedADegree Wrote:
(02-14-2023, 11:28 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: The AALS and BS Math document the same 14 math courses required for the 'concentration'.  Your main question to Jessica is, are these courses offered in the YourPace platform as I don't see the option for many math classes in any of the YourPace offerings.  Most of these courses will need to come through as transfer if that's even possible for the AOS/Major to be transferred over.  Again, that's the main concern is the transfer of credits, as you can transfer a max of 90 credits, 30 must be done at UMPI, you need to know what that 30 is...

Yeah thats why I started this thread I didnt know whether or not the courses really are available but I thought since they are in the pdf of the AA LS in the yourpace section they could be available

I think you're referring to this page for Liberal Studies and it shows you the YourPace concentrations, underneath it has the BLS and AALS, you can ignore this mention of the AALS as it's not a Yourpace program: https://www.umpi.edu/academics/liberal-studies/  As mentioned earlier by ss20ts, viewing the link provided for the online programs work, another link would be this: https://www.umpi.edu/academics/ and you can click the YourPace heading for specific list of programs.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • origamishuttle

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI Accounting Assitance NewbieLearner 7 180 4 hours ago
Last Post: NewbieLearner
  English Comp. 1&2 at UMPI vs CLEP? Jwheels27 22 4,054 09-21-2024, 03:22 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Coursera Google PM Cert to UMPI dm.hans32 0 123 09-20-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Update on My Journey to UMPI BAS and MAOL Hackingat40 5 501 09-19-2024, 08:25 PM
  Credit evaluation from UMPI lynnii2 5 556 09-19-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI Assignment for Review kakasahib 8 887 09-18-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: thomasfrank
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 125 92,437 09-18-2024, 05:54 PM
Last Post: psychcs
  Denied Admission to UMPI doctorTorres 15 914 09-17-2024, 09:28 PM
  BA History at UMPI course requirements majic29 9 739 09-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  UMPI English Composition I Old Guy 4 281 09-15-2024, 02:10 PM