Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying to choose college for MFA
My youngest son is trying to choose a college for his MFA and has it narrowed down to these three: Lindenwood University, Oklahoma City University, and Seton Hill University. He definitely wants an online or low residency program and these three fit the bill. Does anyone know anything about these schools? From what I can tell, Seton Hill has a good reputation but we can't find any reviews about the other two. On the plus side, Oklahoma City University has local name recognition. It would also be easier to complete the residency there. But, I don't know how it's viewed outside our area.
University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma - 32 credits
Oklahoma City Community College - 9 credits
Charter Oak State College - 3 credits
Penn Foster - 4 credits
BYU Public Speaking (IS) - 3 credits
UP- 21 credits
FEMA - 14 credits
ALEKS - Beginning Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra/Trig, Intro to Statistics, Behavioral Science Statistics, and Business Statistics
CLEPS - Analyzing Lit (55), Human Growth and Development (65), Educational Psychology (63), American Lit (64)
DSSTS - Here's to Your Health (435), Environmental Science (58), Business Ethics (442)

Completed my COSC BS with a concentration in Psychology in Jan. 2012.
Completed Penn Foster Animal Care: Dogs Certificate in April 2012
Completed Penn Foster Natural Health Care for Pets Certificate in May 2012
Hi okiemom,

I'm planning to enroll in COSC's Literature program this fall, and when I graduate I want to apply to some MFA or MA programs. I've done a bit of research, so maybe I can help you out.

First off, there is just not as much information out there about low-res programs as there is about traditional MFA programs. That is one reason you guys are having trouble finding information. There are a few of the more well-known schools (Goddard, Vermont College of Fine Arts, Bennington, etc.), and you can find plenty of info/reviews on them, but right now they are in the minority. What it's going to come down to is how much you are willing to spend, what type of writing you want to do, and how far you are willing to travel. Thankfully, you picked Seton Hill and Oklahoma City University, and I know a bit about both.

Seton Hill - This seems like an interesting choice to me, as they offer an MFA in Popular Fiction. Is that the sort of writing your son wants to do? Does he prefer more mainstream or genre writing (Sci-Fi, Horror, Fantasy, Thriller, Romance, etc.) to literary fiction? That's an important thing to consider if he wants to attend this school. That's not saying that he couldn't write genre at UT Austin or literary fiction at Seton Hill, but you have to keep in mind what the predominant focus of the instructors and students are. Seton Hill is going to have mostly genre writers and they will be more comfortable working with other genre writers. Also, it may make your son may feel more comfortable if he writes genre there. This all leads to an increased sense of community and builds a better environment for your son to grow as a writer. I have heard stories of genre students in more traditional programs and they had bad experiences. Students/teachers looking down on their writing, ect. I imagine the reverse can be true for Seton Hill. Keep in mind though, that this sort of reaction is not guaranteed. A lot more people are more open to genre these days. I'm just letting you know what others have said.

Another thing to keep in mind: Seton Hill is going to have classes specifically geared toward writing popular books that sell. They deal more with the business side of the writing process than a lot of other MFA programs. It has a great reputation for what it provides, which is an MFA in Writing Popular Fiction. If that is what he is looking for then go for it.

Oklahoma City University (The Red Earth MFA) -
There is another reason you can't find much about this program besides the fact that it is low-res: it's almost brand new. So, you won't find many reviews on it yet and it is not likely to have much of a reputation yet. That may or may not be an issue for you. The good news is there is a lot of excitement about the program on the web, if you just dig around a little. By all accounts it is an affordable low-res program and extremely flexible in regards to planning out what your degree will look like. And you are in-state, so that may help out a lot. Like you, I don't know a terrible amount beyond that, but I am keeping my eye on it for when it's time for me to start applying. It seems like an up and coming program to me.

Lindenwood - I know absolutely nothing about this program. Never heard of it or seen it mentioned anywhere until now. That should give you some indication of how others view it. I'm sort of exaggerating, but I'm sort of not. Many people put a lot of stock in the names and reputations of school. I do in a way, but I figure if the teachers actually help me improve then I don't care about Ivy League. I care about the writing, which is what anyone should care about that is thinking about getting an MFA. Its one saving grace seems to be that it is entirely online. I did notice, though, that they only require a 7-10 page writing sample. This is pretty low by industry standards. Most ask for 20-40. That will mean that your son will have less space to show his creative skill. That may be to his disadvantage, but I'm not sure how difficult it is to get into the program. He may breeze right in. Also, they appear to be a faith-based school, if that matters to you.

In the end, you (or he) will have to make a few decisions and leaps of faith. You already narrowed it down by wanting low-residency, now you'll have to look at a few other things. Faculty - Many times faculty members list books they have published and periodicals they have published in. Read some of them. Get a feel for how that instructor writes and see if it meshes well with your son's writing. It doesn't always have to be an exact match, but it helps if the they are in the same ballpark, you know? That to me would be the most important factor. If my instructor is write coming-of-age chick lit then I don't think her and I will get along as well as someone who was more in line with my literary sensibilities. Doesn't always have to be that way, I'm sure, but it helps.

Take a look at what other courses he will be required or have the option to take. At Okie City they give you the option to customize your MFA in a sub-genre and you can also take one of two different "strands". One focuses on professional writing and editing, and the other focuses on teaching creative writing. That's one of the reasons I thought the program was so cool. I would like to work in editing. Will that sort of thing be important to him? Maybe he wants to go to a program with less English Lit. classes.

I would seriously suggest meeting with the departments if at all possible. Reach out to current or former students and try to get a feel for whether the program is right for your son. This will be the next 2-3 years of his life, and you want to make sure that he is somewhere he can grow and be happy. Just poke around and ask A LOT of questions. Let him make sure it's the right choice for him.

Of the three I would personally lean toward Oklahoma City, and it seems like that may work out really well for you since you are in-state. This also leaves you open to the possibility of more grants/fellowships/whatever that come with being an in-state student. They just seem like they have a really flexible, affordable program, and your son may have more of a chance to build or join a community with his fellow writers. I think that is so important and a lot of that goes out the window when you are dealing with distance learning. Just tell him to remember this: if he writes professionally he will be spending a lot of his time alone. It is good to make contacts and connections now, and later on those relationships will help him keep grounded and on track. I have a friend that I write with and it is more important than you may realize to have someone who you are able to talk shop with, or who will tell you honestly that you missed the mark in your writing.

You guys just try not to worry about name recognition and focus on his writing. That's what this is all about and if he is going for his MFA then I assume that is what he wants to do in life. If he turns out some amazing works then no one will give two hoots where he got his degree from.

Hope that helps and good luck! You can PM me if you have any specific questions to ask. I'm always willing to chat about MFAs.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - 
BAAS General Studies
BAAS Organizational Leadership 

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
Also, I guess it would be important to know why he settled on those three? There aren't as many online/low-res as B&M, but there are definitely others.

Maybe give a few more details about the situation. Like why does the name recognition matter? Is he trying to get a teaching gig somewhere? Why online or low-res? Oklahoma State University fully funds most or all of its MFA students. If that is nearby, that may also be an option.

Oh, and I made the assumption that he was writing fiction based on the interest in Seton Hill. Is that correct?

Give me a little more info. and I might be of more help to you. Smile
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
BAAS General Studies

COMPLETED:
GED (11/16/2004)
Hi, the points raised are really helpful. Yes, his primary goal is writing fiction. That's what drew him Seton Hill. But, he knows it's difficult to make it as a writer. Teaching appeals to him as way to support his self so OKC University is beginning to move to the top of the list. Local name recognition is important but not the most important thing to him. He did glance at OSU and UCO but decided against them because they are both full residency programs. OSU is only a couple of hours from and UCO is only about 45 minutes from here. After living on campus for his undergrad, he's ready to stay here for a while. We're in a small town so he feels that by staying in here, he'll be able to get a job for now, hopefully tutoring or working at one of the papers. As far teaching go's, we're in a college town with several other universities with a fifty mile radius, which increases his odds of getting a teaching job. Basically ,the goal is to write but have means of support while he does it.
University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma - 32 credits
Oklahoma City Community College - 9 credits
Charter Oak State College - 3 credits
Penn Foster - 4 credits
BYU Public Speaking (IS) - 3 credits
UP- 21 credits
FEMA - 14 credits
ALEKS - Beginning Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra/Trig, Intro to Statistics, Behavioral Science Statistics, and Business Statistics
CLEPS - Analyzing Lit (55), Human Growth and Development (65), Educational Psychology (63), American Lit (64)
DSSTS - Here's to Your Health (435), Environmental Science (58), Business Ethics (442)

Completed my COSC BS with a concentration in Psychology in Jan. 2012.
Completed Penn Foster Animal Care: Dogs Certificate in April 2012
Completed Penn Foster Natural Health Care for Pets Certificate in May 2012
I'd say OKCU it is then. He can take one of the two strands offered (professional writing would help more with getting on with a paper or magazine, pedagogy with a teaching position), or he can even customize his own to tailor-fit his needs with approval of the department. I think a paper or the like would be interested in hiring someone who was pursuing that sort of training, but I'm not at all sure about the schools. At least until he gets his degree.

And kudos to him for taking this seriously and realistically. Too many starving artists floating around and not enough common sense. He will definitely need something to support him while he writes. That's why I want to get into publishing and/or editing. At least then I will still be working with literature and not some soul-crushing 9 to 5.

I would still strongly suggest him visiting the campus and talking with people in the program. It could only help, you know?

Seeing as that's one of the schools I am looking at, I would be extremely interested to see how it works out for him if that is the school he chooses. Please keep us updated. And good luck!
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
BAAS General Studies

COMPLETED:
GED (11/16/2004)
I'll just throw the MAIS at Western New Mexico University out there. It has a pretty solid writing department and that is one of the concentration areas available. If he went with them he could do 18 credits writing and another 18 in English increasing his odds of a teaching gig I suspect. Its very affordable, if you take a max of 6 credits/semester you get the very low in state rate. be a way to get the degree from a respectable State school for under $8K total.

Virtual Campus - Online Programs
http://www.wnmu.edu/VirtualCampus/progra...202012.pdf
http://www.wnmu.edu/VirtualCampus/progra...letter.pdf
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
So I want to take the environment dsst test. I am really interested in this subject, also it is required. Any hints on what i need to focus on, do you think IC is enough to pass?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit bjcheung77 17 172,863 09-16-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Freshman College Comp w/essay mom2school 13 2,742 09-14-2024, 07:37 AM
Last Post: upgradelately
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 18 2,030 08-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: wow
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,343 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Free College Hack - Italian or Hungarian Ancestry nykorn 7 624 07-23-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  College or university isn't what it's cracked up to be... bjcheung77 3 436 07-14-2024, 10:58 AM
  Free college for "Senior citizens" jb111 6 758 07-07-2024, 06:55 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Next Frontier for College Sports: Cornhole Scholarships LevelUP 1 294 07-01-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: lisarox
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 4 1,116 06-13-2024, 09:12 AM
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 22 3,378 05-31-2024, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Thfuriene