Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thomas Edison Computer Science Degree
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help me. I know this probably gets asked a lot, and I've been through a few threads that have really helped, but I could do with a bit more clarification.

I'm currently enrolled at Thomas Edison, doing the BA in computer science. I have transferred in already 72 credits, taken through Theological Research Institution Online so I have 48 remaining. As far as I understand these 2 courses are required to be taken at Thomas Edison: Information Literacy Today (SOS-1100) and Liberal Arts Capstone (LIB-4950). Additionally, I would have to take another 10 credits through online courses to fulfill the residency criteria, though this can be waved for a fee, (which seems like the cheaper option.) And I need 30 credits to be RA. Is all this correct?

My advisor sent me the following.
1. Information Literacy Today (SOS-1100)
2. One (1) Diversity Elective | Intro. to Sociology (SOC-1010) recommended

3. One (1) Scientific Knowledge Elective | Computer Concepts and Applications (CIS-1070) recommended

4. Intro. to Programming (COS-1110)

5. Data Structures (COS-2410)

6. Calculus I (MAT-2310)

7. Discrete Mathematics (MAT-270)

8. Operating Systems (COS-2400)

9. Computer Architecture (COS-3300)

10. Six (6) Area of Study Electives.  Five (5) must be at the 3000-4000 level.  Choose from the following (avoid duplicate courses):

• Management Information Systems (CIS-3010)

• Database Management (CIS-3110)

• System Analysis and Design I (CIS-3200)

• Software Engineering (CIS-3510)

• Network Technology (CMP-3540)

• C Programming (COS-1160)

• Python Programming (COS-2050)

• R Programming (COS-2060)

• C++ Programming (COS-2130)

• Artificial Intelligence (COS-4510)
11. Liberal Arts Capstone (LIB-4950)

How would I reach the RA 30 credit requirements? I see on the sample BA CS wiki that I can do intro to programming, operating systems, calculus and discrete maths and get RA credit. But that's only 13 credits. Plus the 2 required courses gets me to 19. And in Electives there are lots of Oregon state university options that don't match a specific course expected - where do they fall in my road-map? And which courses can I take through Sophia.org or Study.com?

Finally, how do I send in the credits when I outsource to these places?

Sorry if this isn't clear. Any other advice would be welcome.

p.s. I'm an international student, and not so clear on how GPA works, especially from Thomas Edison. If anyone has the time to fill me in, that would be appreciated.

The cheapest way to earn RA credit is through Finnish Universities, Tel Learning or TECEPS.

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Fi...iversities

Currently, TESU is giving away five free TECEPS exams for those who sign up for the Sept term.

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ilable-Now

So you could get 15 RA credit TECEPs
And 15 RA credits if you do a TESU flat-rate term. (For total of 30 RA)

Then your total cost would be under $5000 (not counting Study.com or Sophia)
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 3 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • avi_learning, origamishuttle, Pikachu
The cheapest way to meet the RA credit requirement for TESU would be to complete a 15-credit flat-rate term at TESU + 30 (or more) ECTS from XAMK university. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/XAMK The XAMK credits would mostly go to general electives and possibly to gen eds or the AOS - depending on the exact course(s). A BACS has 30 general electives, 18 AOS electives, and 6 additional AOS electives. General electives can be literally anything. AOS electives need to meet certain requirements (specific categories and minimum of UL vs. LL credits) but can otherwise be literally anything that meets those requirements.

As for how to get the credits to TESU, that depends on where you get the credits from. Each source has its own way of sending transcripts.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • avi_learning, origamishuttle
TESU requires 30cr of RA, but only 15cr for residency. You're mixing those up.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • avi_learning
@avi_learning, Welcome to the board, it may be best to give an overall picture of your scenario by following the addendum and template here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

What I recommend is to get the 15 credits through TECEPs, since they're FREE right now.
Then pay for another flat rate for tuition to get the remaining 15 RA credits needed.

New Jersey residents $3,319
Out-of-state residents $4,299
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • avi_learning, BrianFallon
Information Literacy Today (SOS-1100), you could take through EDx for $500 and transfer into TESU, which works only for the CS degree.

Then you could take only the capstone and pay the residency fee if you bring in 27 RA credits.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • avi_learning
I only just noticed I posted this in the wrong place, sorry about that.

Thank you all for your responces. I'll try and give a post below soon following the format that is recommended, with more details and information.

I notice everyone recommending a flat out rate for 15 credits. Does it come out cheaper to take a flat rate tuition for 15 credits from Thomas Edison, or to try and get the RA credits from other sources such as Strayer challange exams and ASU universal learner, and then to pay the residency fee waver? I'm trying to avoid a flat rate tuition because I'm pretty busy at the moment and that seems a bit more than I can chew.

Finally, if I've already sent in transcripts and my academic evaluation accepted them towards my degree, can I take a TECEP in those areas and use them instead?

Thank you all so much.
It comes out cheaper to do the flat rate 15cr term than to pay tuition for the cornerstone and capstone and pay the residency waiver fee. Anything you have to pay to get those credits another way increases the bill some more.

However, if you don't have time to do the flat rate term, then the price difference doesn't really matter, does it?
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • avi_learning
Yes, you can take a TECEP for courses already covered by your transcripts. But they probably won't be free TECEPs, so I wouldn't bother with that. The currently-free TECEPs need to cover degree requirements that haven't already been met in order to be free.

Time to sign up for the free TECEPs is running out, though.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • avi_learning, origamishuttle
Thank you all for your help so far. It is really appreciated.

Do you think this is a good plan for the rest of my course credits? I apologize for the layout - I wasn't sure how to add a table in my post.

Course / Method / Credits / RA Credits / Price ($)

1. Information Literacy Today (SOS-1100) TESU /  3  /   3   /  1000 
  2. History TCEP (Diversity Elective) TCEP  /   3  /   3  /   Free 
  3. Computer concepts applications TCEP (Scientific Knowldege Elective) TCEP   /  3  /   3  /   Free 
  4. Intro. to Programming (COS-1110) TESU  /   3  /   3  /   1000 
  5. Data Structures (COS-2410) Study.com  /   3  /   0  /   235/month 
  6. Calculus I (MAT-2310) Coopersmiths  /   3  /   0  /   Free 
  7. Discrete Mathematics (MAT-270) Strayer   /  3  /   3  /   20 
  8. Operating Systems (COS-2400) Strayer  /   3   /   3  /   20 
  9. Computer Architecture (COS-3300) Study.com   /  3  /   0  /   235/month 
  10. Software Engineering (CIS-3510) TESU  /   3  /   3  /   1000 
  11. Network Technology (CMP-3540) TCEP  /   3  /   3  /   Free 
  12. Artificial Intelligence (COS-4510) TESU  /   3  /   3  /   1000 
  13. Database Management (CIS-3110) Study.com   /  3   /  0   /  235/month S
  14. System Analysis and Design I (CIS-3200) Study.com   /  3  /   0  /   235/month 
  15. Python Programming COS-205   Study.com  /   3  /   0  /   235/month 
  16. Liberal Arts Capstone (LIB-4950) TESU  /   3  /   3  /   1000
comes out: 48 / 30 / ~$5500

A few quick clarifications:
I read somewhere for the 15 credits in one term I need to have over 100 credits already and have completed the majority of my upper level courses. Is this correct?
And does the Artificial Intelligence course on Study.com transfer credits for the AI course?
Lastly should I verify I can transfer all these in with the academic advisor at Thomas Edison?

If this is too much of a mess I'll re-post. Thank you again all.

p.s. I signed up for the TCEPS I could. Thank you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New WIki TESU BS Cloud Computing Degree Plan LevelUP 2 253 10-03-2024, 08:55 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  TESU Dual CS/CIS Degree Help! comatose95 13 746 09-24-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU computer science and information systems are the same degree Chann 9 886 09-19-2024, 10:29 AM
  BA Computer Science Questions puga 18 1,411 08-16-2024, 11:23 PM
  TESU AAS Degree, Environmental, Safety, and Security Technologies newdegree 2 347 08-13-2024, 06:53 PM
  TESU ASNSM in Computer Science / AAS Applied Computer Studies newdegree 15 1,049 07-26-2024, 11:31 AM
  Comp sci Degree [UK] asthewindblows 10 747 07-21-2024, 05:39 PM
  Upper level Computer Science Credits TESU BA CS newdegree 6 701 07-18-2024, 06:24 PM
  How to register / sign up for a specific degree at TESU? CreativeLearner 8 485 07-17-2024, 03:04 PM
  Urgent Help Needed: Am I Missing Out on a Double Degree or Associate Degree at TESU? User7364 15 1,413 07-04-2024, 02:58 PM