Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taking Multiple Tests On One Day
Hello everyone!
I'm new to the board, just joined IC last night. I'm a social work major at a private university in the southwest, and am attempting to do all of my general-eds via CLEP to cut off the two years of basics the major requires and jump right into the practical training I'm paying multiple thousands of dollars for.

I was homeschooled my entire life so the concept of self-teaching is nothing new to me, I just want to make sure I'm not biting off more than I can chew. Is four exams in a day too much? Three? Two? Am I insane? Big Grin

Thanks!
kassie Wrote:Hello everyone!
I'm new to the board, just joined IC last night. I'm a social work major at a private university in the southwest, and am attempting to do all of my general-eds via CLEP to cut off the two years of basics the major requires and jump right into the practical training I'm paying multiple thousands of dollars for.

I was homeschooled my entire life so the concept of self-teaching is nothing new to me, I just want to make sure I'm not biting off more than I can chew. Is four exams in a day too much? Three? Two? Am I insane? Big Grin

Thanks!

The number of exams you may be able to pass on one given testing day really depends on your background and expertise in the subject(s) area. Is there a reason you need to load up on one day? (ie-distance to testing site; limited scheduling opportunities). If not, I'd suggest you space them out a bit. Speaking from my own experience, two in one day was more than plenty. I only did that a couple times when scheduling was an issue. While I passed, I'm certain I would have done better had I spaced them out. One step at a time works well for both walking and for test taking. Wink

Best wishes to you with your new project.

-Terry
[SIZE="4"]Terry[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][B][SIZE="2"]How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time![/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/B]

[SIZE="3"]
AS and BS completed
MBA - In Progress[/SIZE]
Thank you for the advice! The main reason for loading up is relative distance to the testing site. It's not massively ridiculous, but any money I can save on gas is money I can use to pay off student loans! I excel in lit and history so I will probaby do those two exams first and space out the others as much as I can.
Hey Kassie! I was homeschooled for most of my schooling too. Smile I have taken almost 30 CLEP and DANTES tests, but have yet to take two on the same day. I know it can be done, but I have felt much more comfortable taking them one at a time. There was one time I took five exams (psychology and sociology ones) within 9 days. Though I didn't have much time, I really enjoyed being able to go home, spend an evening or a day reviewing for the next one and then go take it.

I would recommend that you only take one test the first time you try. Then, you'll be more aware of whether you could handle two or more. Smile Be forewarned, even some of the easy ones can take it out of you.

I hope it goes well! Let us know how you progress!
~Brittany

From 0 to 120 credits in ten months and seven days because of CollegePlus! and InstantCert!!!

AHHHH!!!!!!!! I DID IT!!!!!!!! Graduation, here I come!

"The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save." ~Zephaniah 3:17
A lot of it depends on your test-taking skills. My sister is one of those yeah-this-answer-is-prolly-right-I'll-just-pick-it test takers and she could (and did) take two tests on the same day in about an hour--several different times. I, on the other hand, agonized over EVERYTHING. I'm a very slow test-taker. Big Grin And I always felt really drained at the end of one from tying my brains in knots about it.

So yeah, as someone else suggested, maybe just start with one (or at most two--and that in a compatible subject) to see how you do.

Really though, I would think the issue wouldn't be so much even your test-taking skills as just preparing for three or four tests at once. I preferred to focus on one at a time (I usually did one test a week) so that I wasn't trying to study for forty-'leven tricky things all at once. But hey, if that doesn't bother you, go for it! Big Grin
The most I have done is 3 tests in a week, and that got me a C on one of them.

You could do two DSST tests in a day if the second test was an easy one. Perhaps there are some really easy CLEPS too.

I would consider taking the following DSST tests as the second test in the afternoon, since I smoked through them in less than an hour:
1) Race to save the Planet
2) Here's to your health
3) MIS

Just consider this...
You will save a drive to the test center if you double up on tests. The grade you get will be on your transcript for life. Also, the drive is a good time to mentally review for the test, and you can't do this with two tests on the same day.

If you have a year or so to do this then slow it down to one test every two weeks. That is a totally sane rate, and you will probably learn more with the extra time to prepare. That rate will give you 75 CREDITS!!! in a year.

Good luck!
EC - BSLS Finally done!
Went from 86 to 120 credits in six weeks thanks to IC and the forum.
Currently doing MBA pre-reqs.
Now BSLS + 9 credits
Just thought I'd weigh in on this one too. I've taken 2 tests back to back on 3 occasions now and I have to say it's not too bad. I live about an hour from the testing center so I would just as soon take 2 tests if I'm driving "all that way".

I don't think it's impossible - but maybe not the best way to get started down the "testing out" road. I think of it like this, when I was in B&M college during finals week I was expected to take 5 final exams in one week. And, back then I was not as motivated and had a lot less life experience behind me.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Purple"]Thomas Edison State College BSBA - 6/10
Excelsior College BS Liberal Arts - 9/10

Amberton MBA - 12/13 [/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
The first 6 exams I've taken have been two at a time. Some people say if you do that you should take 2 that have overlapping material. I personally disagree because I found studying for 2 totally unrelated test to be easy for me because I could keep everything separate in my head, but that's just me.

From here on out though I'm going to start taking them 1 at a time, with a week or two study period between them.
CLEP's Taken:
[SIZE="1"]A & I Lit-6CH (62), American Gov't (63), Introductory Business Law (64), History of the United States I (66), Introductory Psychology (61), Introductory Sociology (73), American Literature (63), Macroeconomics (58)[/SIZE]

DSST's Taken:
[SIZE="1"]Intro to World Religion (464), Astronomy (70)[/SIZE]

Up Next:
[SIZE="1"] Taking a break![/SIZE]
Hi there, that's amazing you were able to get so much done in such a short period of time. What's the secret? Should I be doing something else besides the practice exams on here? Do you suggest cliff notes and etc?

Thanks,
Wadson
Thank y'all for the advice! I believe I'm going to try and see how two in a week goes. I'm excited!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you achieve multiple degrees? Ariadne 5 595 08-19-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Taking exams for online courses stats-time 4 345 08-04-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Teachers working multiple jobs? bjcheung77 18 1,785 09-23-2022, 05:37 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  What have others used to write the Spanish letters/characters while taking ACTFL? Insert Name 3 740 06-16-2022, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Anyone Do IQ Tests or a Part of an IQ Society? dewisant 9 1,173 05-13-2022, 06:34 PM
Last Post: creationstory
  Multiple Bachelor Degrees Possible? StudiousTraveller 14 1,834 04-03-2022, 08:19 PM
Last Post: StudiousTraveller
  An Investigation Finds That Millions of Students Are Taking on Dangerous BNPL Debt LevelUP 4 983 03-07-2022, 07:14 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Looking for EQ & IQ Tests online: Anyone? bjcheung77 6 1,155 10-12-2021, 05:40 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Do most college professors teach at multiple schools??? Vle045 6 2,546 08-11-2021, 01:36 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  For parents of teens taking college level courses. Lacedonia4 15 2,690 10-15-2020, 11:26 PM
Last Post: BrianFallon