Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
people who have multiple degrees
i see a lot of people here have multiple degrees ( and i am not talking about those who have two bachelors ,a master and maybe a phd)
i mean those who have 4+ 5+ degrees , i am genuinely curious as to why ? does it help you professionally/academically, do people think its overkill ? i am specifically referring to those who have multiple degree across different and unrelated fields, is it just for the joy and challenge of getting a new degree .
I have two BAs, two MAs and a doctorate.

Two of the degrees were for pure fun and interest. Check the box in life sort of thing

A BS, MS and doctorate were directly related to my career. My career path forced me to get the doctorate even though I think it was completely pointless.

A PhD is entirely unnecessary even for fun IMO, and I highly caution against getting one UNLESS you want to shoot for tenure. Tons of unemployed PhDs out there.
(09-24-2024, 04:51 PM)crowbird Wrote: i see a lot of people here have multiple degrees ( and i am not talking about those who have two bachelors ,a master and maybe a phd)
i mean those who have 4+ 5+ degrees , i am genuinely curious as to why ? does it help you professionally/academically, do people think its overkill ? i am specifically referring to those who have multiple degree across different and unrelated fields, is it just for the joy and challenge of getting a new degree .

I agree who needs more than one degree.

PS. I can not confirm or deny if I have 4-5 more degrees not on my signature line.
DNP, MBA, MSIO
Ph.D. candidate - Leadership emphasis in Business 96% complete
University of the Cumberlands
I have 2 associate degrees, 2 bachelor's degrees, and am completing my second master's degree in November. Some have helped my career and were for that purpose. My second master's is because some of the doctoral programs I am looking at require 2 master's degrees as you need to have 90+ graduate level credits to graduate with your doctoral degree.

I am also completing a graduate certificate with my second master's because I could. It was a great way to earn credits and have something to show for it. I will begin working on a handful of Coursera certificates next month as well. Why? I'm a lifelong learner and enjoy learning new things.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • midnite123
(09-24-2024, 05:10 PM)Duneranger Wrote: I have two BAs, two MAs and a doctorate.

Two of the degrees were for pure fun and interest. Check the box in life sort of thing

A BS, MS and doctorate were directly related to my career. My career path forced me to get the doctorate even though I think it was completely pointless.

A PhD is entirely unnecessary even for fun IMO, and I highly caution against getting one UNLESS you want to shoot for tenure. Tons of unemployed PhDs out there.

what would someone who enjoys research do if phd in unnecessary even for fun ?

(09-24-2024, 05:10 PM)xspect Wrote:
(09-24-2024, 04:51 PM)crowbird Wrote: i see a lot of people here have multiple degrees ( and i am not talking about those who have two bachelors ,a master and maybe a phd)

PS. I can not confirm or deny if I have 4-5 more degrees not on my signature line.

don't agree with me i haven't expressed any opinion lol

(09-24-2024, 05:34 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I have 2 associate degrees, 2 bachelor's degrees, and am completing my second master's degree in November. Some have helped my career and were for that purpose. My second master's is because some of the doctoral programs I am looking at require 2 master's degrees as you need to have 90+ graduate level credits to graduate with your doctoral degree.

I am also completing a graduate certificate with my second master's because I could. It was a great way to earn credits and have something to show for it. I will begin working on a handful of Coursera certificates next month as well. Why? I'm a lifelong learner and enjoy learning new things.

that's the spirit good luck on you phd , did you 90+ graduate level credits requirement needed to be specific credit or you just chose whatever master interested you just to get those credits no matter the subject
(09-24-2024, 05:40 PM)crowbird Wrote: that's the spirit good luck on you phd , did you 90+ graduate level credits requirement needed to be specific credit or you just chose whatever master interested you just to get those credits no matter the subject

I'm actually looking at a DBA not a PhD. The 90+ graduate level credits are in business fields as that's what needed for a DBA. I did have a lot of electives especially for my second master's but all of my credits are still in various fields of business.
You're going to get a spectrum of answers, people have different reasons to get a specific educational goal, for fun, knowledge gaps, professional development, etc... It really depends on their educational goal and their needs or wants to obtain future credentials. For some, like me, we like to be life long learners and take the credentials that provide a mix/match of ROI/Value, as some of us do not have tuition assistance or reimbursement. For those who have fin aid, assistance or reimbursement, they can take whatever they can that will provide the same mix/match and they have a larger list to select from...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(09-24-2024, 05:40 PM)crowbird Wrote:
(09-24-2024, 05:10 PM)Duneranger Wrote: I have two BAs, two MAs and a doctorate.

what would someone who enjoys research do if phd in unnecessary even for fun ?

(09-24-2024, 05:10 PM)xspect Wrote:

don't agree with me i haven't expressed any opinion lol

(09-24-2024, 05:34 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I have 2 associate degrees, 2 bachelor's degrees, and am completing my second master's degree in November. Some have helped my career and were for that purpose. My second master's is because some of the doctoral programs I am looking at require 2 master's degrees as you need to have 90+ graduate level credits to graduate with your doctoral degree.

that's the spirit good luck on you phd , did you 90+ graduate level credits requirement needed to be specific credit or you just chose whatever master interested you just to get those credits no matter the subject
You can do research with a masters. A PhD is a slog and completely unneeded for most reasons. Even full time it can take 4-5 years.
(09-24-2024, 06:23 PM)Duneranger Wrote: You can do research with a masters. A PhD is a slog and completely unneeded for most reasons. Even full time it can take 4-5 years.

I've done tons of research as a master's student. I've written hundreds and hundreds of pages on the research.
Many large companies treat a Masters as 2 years experience and a Doctorate as 4. So having more experience means more money. Simple math.
-
Joe

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Inexpensive Certificates, Diplomas, Degrees bjcheung77 7 1,491 09-11-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: wow
  Seeking interviewees with non-accredited/non-traditional degrees for Ohio State Study mitchell1857 0 155 09-10-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: mitchell1857
  New online degrees from top Indian universities Robson 8 587 08-20-2024, 07:36 AM
Last Post: Robson
  How do you achieve multiple degrees? Ariadne 5 630 08-19-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Twitter freaks out over person with many degrees RbxFunRocks 12 1,130 06-25-2024, 08:15 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Affordable Online Data Science and Programming Degrees from IIT Madras (India) OtterDen 3 549 06-21-2024, 08:45 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  UVEG - Inexpensive Official Degrees in Mexico bjcheung77 14 3,579 05-20-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Will online degrees become worthless because of AI? blablablox 12 1,708 04-20-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Associate degrees??? midnite123 10 1,226 04-03-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 1,306 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh