Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
TAMUC - TSI Math Placement
My partner is trying to enroll in TAMUC but despite having an Associate's already with Beginning and Intermediate Algebra already completed at a community college and on the transcript, they are not allowing my partner to enroll without first taking the Math TSI placement exam.

Did anyone else have to do that? Or were you exempt from it? And if exempt, how so? 

I had a prior bachelor's when I enrolled, so they waived most of the normal requirements. This situation is turning out to be more difficult than I anticipated.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ReyMysterioso's post:
  • Tedium
It looks like they are looking for college algebra or above and may not consider intermediate algebra to meet that need. Here are some Sophia options from the sample degree plan:

Mathematics
3 credits required. College Algebra or Business Math or greater.

Recommended Course Provider
College Algebra Sophia
Introduction to Statistics Sophia
Precalculus Sophia
Calculus Sophia
Completed: HAU MBA | BA Economics (US) | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
Oh geez, I’m going to be in the same boat with only my AAS. I was just re-learning the application requirements too. I hope someone on the board can help.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - 
BAAS General Studies
BAAS Organizational Leadership 

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
They did not have a problem with me having an Associate's degree that was 25 years old and taking Technical Math at my CC. TAMUC gave me math credit for my Tech Math course from CC.

I would also suggest taking Sophia Algebra and see if they are OK with that. I took Sophia Algebra to fill the math credit if they did not take my math from CC.

Completed:
TAMUC BAAS Org Leadership
SJC AAS Automotive Technology
I took an ALEKS algebra class a while ago that was accepted by TAMUC. My advisor said that Sophia Algebra would be fine for the requirement as well.
---
Completed:
Purdue Global - Masters in Cybersecurity
TAMUC - BAAS Organizational Leadership
Pierpont - AAS BOG

[-] The following 2 users Like fromthedepths's post:
  • ltw900rr, Tedium
I transferred Intro to Finite Math, Intro to Statistics, and College Algebra and was determined to be TSI exempt. Technically, my SAT scores would've also exempted me, but they were too old.

Finite Math/MATH010-Mathematics Core Requirement
Intro to Statistics/MATH1342-Component Area Option Core Requirement
College Algebra/MATH 1314-Elective
Texas A&M University-Commerce: M.S. Organization, Learning, and Technologies '25
Texas A&M University-Commerce: BAAS Organizational Leadership, Summa Cum Laude 
Universidad Internacional Isabel I De Castilla/ENEB-MBA Master of Business Administration
Pierpont Community and Technical College: AAS BOG, AOE Criminal Justice 

I'm concerned about transferring Sophia because I'm not sure if it will be accepted into the RN to BSN program. I am wary of wasting money and effort on a class we have to end up retaking.
(06-04-2024, 09:08 AM)ReyMysterioso Wrote: I'm concerned about transferring Sophia because I'm not sure if it will be accepted into the RN to BSN program. I am wary of wasting money and effort on a class we have to end up retaking.
You could either just take the placement test, take one of the CLEP options if TAMUC & the BSN program accepts it, or you could do the class via ASU Universal Learner or a local community college.
Completed: HAU MBA | BA Economics (US) | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
(06-04-2024, 09:33 AM)jg_nuy Wrote:
(06-04-2024, 09:08 AM)ReyMysterioso Wrote: I'm concerned about transferring Sophia because I'm not sure if it will be accepted into the RN to BSN program. I am wary of wasting money and effort on a class we have to end up retaking.
You could either just take the placement test, take one of the CLEP options if TAMUC & the BSN program accepts it, or you could do the class via ASU Universal Learner or a local community college.

We went ahead and signed up for a month of Sophia. I'm pretty sure they can blast through algebra and then we can transfer in and just see what happens. If it works, Sophia would also be potentially an easy way to knock out the Chemistry requirement. If it doesn't work, probably just take required courses at TAMUC or do ASU. I'm less than 600 rides away from unlocking free tuition at ASU through Uber, so it's possible we may transfer and just do the whole dang program there anyway. I have a gut feeling it's slower and probably harder than TAMUC though based on my ORGL experience. But then my partner may prefer a more traditional semester based approach and find they're not into the speedrunning it takes to keep the cost of CBE really low. 
I'll update when we transfer.
[-] The following 3 users Like ReyMysterioso's post:
  • jg_nuy, ltw900rr, Tedium
(06-04-2024, 12:35 PM)ReyMysterioso Wrote:
(06-04-2024, 09:33 AM)jg_nuy Wrote:

We went ahead and signed up for a month of Sophia. I'm pretty sure they can blast through algebra and then we can transfer in and just see what happens. If it works, Sophia would also be potentially an easy way to knock out the Chemistry requirement. If it doesn't work, probably just take required courses at TAMUC or do ASU. I'm less than 600 rides away from unlocking free tuition at ASU through Uber, so it's possible we may transfer and just do the whole dang program there anyway. I have a gut feeling it's slower and probably harder than TAMUC though based on my ORGL experience. But then my partner may prefer a more traditional semester based approach and find they're not into the speedrunning it takes to keep the cost of CBE really low. 
I'll update when we transfer.

For the record, transferring in College Algebra from Sophia eliminated the need for TSI Math Placement in the BGS program.
[-] The following 2 users Like ReyMysterioso's post:
  • ltw900rr, txc1500

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TAMUC considering rebranding ReyMysterioso 18 1,465 10-14-2024, 02:27 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  TAMUC BAAS Organizational Leadership - Only 15 Classes To Go! mohelena02 49 8,082 09-26-2024, 05:43 PM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  Options for Texas Government? TAMUC westex93 9 660 09-20-2024, 01:48 PM
Last Post: westex93
  TAMUC - Accepted KagomeH 5 606 09-09-2024, 06:40 PM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  TAMUC Bachelors Public Admin - City Planning is approved (CBE) bradm31 1 331 08-05-2024, 07:03 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  New TAMUC Competency-Based Programs? RbxFunRocks 10 1,293 08-05-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: bradm31
  Thanks to everyone here I am now enrolled at TAMUC CCRB 3 404 08-03-2024, 01:43 PM
  TAMUC New CBE Program bradm31 2 430 08-02-2024, 01:30 PM
Last Post: newdegree
  TAMUC General Studies (BGS CBE) bradm31 10 669 08-01-2024, 10:03 AM
  TAMUC ORGL - Complete! fromthedepths 13 3,052 07-29-2024, 06:24 PM