Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TAMUC considering rebranding
A lot of scuttlebutt lately about Texas A&M Commerce spending $100,000, including hiring a third-party consulting agency, to explore the possibility of a rebranding/name change. The main name being considered is Texas A&M Dallas. 

https://www.texasstandard.org/stories/te...-petition/

The University President has hosted four open forums explaining the reasoning behind the push to adopt "Dallas" into the name and listen to stakeholder feedback. 

What say you? Is a multi-site university serving the greater DFW metro area a good candidate to be called Texas A&M Dallas? Or is Commerce, TX too far away from Dallas for that to make sense?
[-] The following 3 users Like ReyMysterioso's post:
  • fromthedepths, Jonathan Whatley, ltw900rr
I mean, why not consolidate the Kingsville and Corpus campuses since they are close to each other.

Aside from that, Texas A&M - Dallas does sound better.
---
Completed:
Purdue Global - Masters in Cybersecurity
TAMUC - BAAS Organizational Leadership
Pierpont - AAS BOG

Interesting... It's all in the open right now, can go in many directions, we'll see how this one pans out...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I would LOVE this! Whenever I tell people TAMUC they just completely ignore the commerce part and think I went to the main A&M.
Currently:
UCA (University of Central Arkansas) Ph.D. Change Leadership for Equity and Inclusion 

Completed:
WGU MSML
TAMUC BAAS Org Leadership
PMP, CSM, CSPO, Google Project Management Certificate
Sophia 19 Classes | Study.com 12 Classes
[-] The following 1 user Likes mohelena02's post:
  • fromthedepths
(07-17-2024, 05:20 PM)mohelena02 Wrote: I would LOVE this! Whenever I tell people TAMUC they just completely ignore the commerce part and think I went to the main A&M.

There is a subreddit that covers some of the open forums with recaps. https://www.reddit.com/r/TAMUDatC/ 

The president cited "brand confusion" as one of the main issues. He says that doing first-round zoom interviews with prosepective job candidates where they realize the interviewee thinks they're applying for a position at the College Station flagship is a somewhat regular occurrence. He also says "Not one day goes by that I don't encounter someone who thinks Texas A&M Commerce is the business school of College Station." He says if you get 300 miles from Commerce, nobody's ever heard of the university. 
From my experience (I don't live in Texas), this is true. Nobody I mention it to has ever heard of it.

The alumni, students and faculty are vehemently opposed on the basis that Commerce is 66 miles away from Dallas and they're adamant "Commerce is NOT Dallas." The other concern is "It will erase our culture, erase our history." 

I think this is all secondary to why he really (imo) wants to change it to Dallas. If TAMUC doesn't grab the Dallas name, the A&M System will "definitely" install a new campus or buy an existing institution and relaunch it as "Texas A&M Dallas." In a scenario where that happens, that institution will get preferential new institution Permanent University Funding (PUF) to the tune of $10m per year from the state of Texas. That institution will have way more funding to recruit and compete for DFW metroplex and surrounding county future students (the exact same area where TAMUC is getting all its growth) with more leverage. 

I think - and this is my personal wild speculation - that if another institution gets the name and that new institution PUF funding, it's basically a killshot that will cause TAMUC to shrink to an untenable size and cease to exist as an independent school, absorbed as a satellite site by someone else.

"East Texas A&M University" was the name everyone wanted when East Texas State U. joined the A&M System in 1996. The "East Texas A&M U." name seems to be in play as an option and the majority of stakeholders like that a lot better as it would be a throwback to its legacy name. But nobody believes the board of regents will seriously consider it.
[-] The following 2 users Like ReyMysterioso's post:
  • Pikachu, staceydiane
(07-17-2024, 09:17 PM)ReyMysterioso Wrote:
(07-17-2024, 05:20 PM)mohelena02 Wrote: I would LOVE this! Whenever I tell people TAMUC they just completely ignore the commerce part and think I went to the main A&M.

There is a subreddit that covers some of the open forums with recaps. https://www.reddit.com/r/TAMUDatC/ 

The president cited "brand confusion" as one of the main issues. He says that doing first-round zoom interviews with prosepective job candidates where they realize the interviewee thinks they're applying for a position at the College Station flagship is a somewhat regular occurrence. He also says "Not one day goes by that I don't encounter someone who thinks Texas A&M Commerce is the business school of College Station." He says if you get 300 miles from Commerce, nobody's ever heard of the university. 
From my experience (I don't live in Texas), this is true. Nobody I mention it to has ever heard of it.

The alumni, students and faculty are vehemently opposed on the basis that Commerce is 66 miles away from Dallas and they're adamant "Commerce is NOT Dallas." The other concern is "It will erase our culture, erase our history." 

I think this is all secondary to why he really (imo) wants to change it to Dallas. If TAMUC doesn't grab the Dallas name, the A&M System will "definitely" install a new campus or buy an existing institution and relaunch it as "Texas A&M Dallas." In a scenario where that happens, that institution will get preferential new institution Permanent University Funding (PUF) to the tune of $10m per year from the state of Texas. That institution will have way more funding to recruit and compete for DFW metroplex and surrounding county future students (the exact same area where TAMUC is getting all its growth) with more leverage. 

I think - and this is my personal wild speculation - that if another institution gets the name and that new institution PUF funding, it's basically a killshot that will cause TAMUC to shrink to an untenable size and cease to exist as an independent school, absorbed as a satellite site by someone else.

"East Texas A&M University" was the name everyone wanted when East Texas State U. joined the A&M System in 1996. The "East Texas A&M U." name seems to be in play as an option and the majority of stakeholders like that a lot better as it would be a throwback to its legacy name. But nobody believes the board of regents will seriously consider it.

Wow thank you for sharing all of this context. This makes so much sense to me, IMO they should grab the Dallas name, however I do understand that the institution have been around for a long time and erasing the history is something they should be mindful of. 
I am from Texas, and in politen conversation when my university comes up usually in social settings getting to know people, they do have a lot of confusion around Commerce.
In school or work settings I make sure to be clear on where my degree is from, but yes, confusion always arises.
Currently:
UCA (University of Central Arkansas) Ph.D. Change Leadership for Equity and Inclusion 

Completed:
WGU MSML
PMP, CSM, CSPO, Google Project Management Certificate
Sophia 19 Classes | Study.com 12 Classes
East Texas A&M would be my vote. It makes sense based on the location, and you also have West Texas A&M in Canyon, TX. Having Dallas in the name when the college is not in Dallas does not make sense to me.

I am sure the college has already decided, and it will be changed to Texas A&M Dallas at Commerce.

Completed:
SJC AAS Automotive Technology
[-] The following 2 users Like ltw900rr's post:
  • RachelB, staceydiane
(07-18-2024, 05:27 AM)ltw900rr Wrote: East Texas A&M would be my vote. It makes sense based on the location, and you also have West Texas A&M in Canyon, TX. Having Dallas in the name when the college is not in Dallas does not make sense to me.

I am sure the college has already decided, and it will be changed to Texas A&M Dallas at Commerce.

Weirdly, even though "Texas A&M Dallas at Commerce" is what has been reported, the president said multiple times "I don't know where that name came from. I never said that. It was never in my notes. That's a terrible name." Seems like the "at Commerce" part is not in consideration.

The board of regents meets Aug 1st.They can take action and vote on a name change or choose to delay.Any movement or decision is up to them and the president and chancellor can make requests but but have no authority on the name of the institution. There is a planned website shutdown July 31-Aug 2nd. Many are speculating everything is a foregone conclusion and you'll wake up Aug 3rd with everything on the website rebranded. 

I guess we'll find out in a couple weeks whether I have an obsolete diploma ?.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ReyMysterioso's post:
  • ltw900rr
The sad truth is no matter how they rebrand, it wouldn't make an iota of difference for schools like TAMUC or TAMUCC. They are, and will always be treated like bastard children when ALMOST all resources are pouring towards the favorite son in College Station.

TAMU has an enrollment of over 70,000 (and not slowing down) while campuses like Commerce and San Antonio have yet to exceed 10,000, with Corpus Christi barely hitting 10K. And they would rather build satellite campuses to College Station in Galveston and McAllen rather than standalone universities.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fmsoa's post:
  • ltw900rr
(07-18-2024, 02:51 PM)fmsoa Wrote: The sad truth is no matter how they rebrand, it wouldn't make an iota of difference for schools like TAMUC or TAMUCC. They are, and will always be treated like a bastard child when ALMOST all resources are pouring towards the favorite son in College Station.

TAMU has an enrollment of over 70,000 (and not slowing down) while campuses like Commerce and San Antonio have yet to exceed 10,000, while Corpus Christi barely hitting 10K. And they would rather build satellite campuses to College Station on Galveston and McAllen.

However, on the upside TAMUC is the fastest growing public university in Texas.

https://www.tamuc.edu/news/am-commerce-e...2DCommerce
Texas A&M University-Commerce: M.S. Organization, Learning, and Technologies '25
Texas A&M University-Commerce: BAAS Organizational Leadership, Summa Cum Laude 
Universidad Internacional Isabel I De Castilla/ENEB-MBA Master of Business Administration
Pierpont Community and Technical College: AAS BOG, AOE Criminal Justice 

[-] The following 1 user Likes txc1500's post:
  • ltw900rr