Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Review my Pierpont BoG AAS Study Plan?
Hi everyone! I just found this site and have been reading and learning tons, so thank you!

I was wondering if any of you would be willing to review this plan to obtain a Pierpont BoG AAS, and make sure I'm not missing anything. 

I'd like to take most of the courses through Saylor Academy, since they're cheap and I wouldn't feel as rushed as with Sophia courses. However, if the credits end up not being transferable with Saylor, I figure I would already know much of the info to easily take a course through Sophia instead, if necessary, for a lot of these. 

The main thing I'm concerned about is if I apply at Pierpont and transfer as many credits as possible, but then need to do "extra" Sophia courses to make up any lack from unacceptable Saylor classes. Am I able to transfer additional credits later like this? Do I just need to have everything transferred in by the time of my "enrollment?" 

I'm in my 30s, graduated high school in 2007. I'm just looking to get an Associates right now, possibly as a stepping stone to getting a Bachelors at a university overseas. (I'm hoping to move to Cambodia in the next couple of years.) 

I already have 9 credits from John Brown University, from 2007:
Old Testament Survey (3)
Intro to Psychology (3)
Spanish 201 (3)

Saylor
BIO101: Intro to Molecular and Cellular Biology 
CHEM101: General Chemistry 1
GEOG101: World Regional Geography
COMM001: Principles of Human Communication 
ECON101: Principles of Microeconomics 
ECON102: Principles of Macroeconomics 
MA001: College Algebra
MA121: Intro to Statistics 
SOC101: Intro to Sociology 
POLSC101: Intro to Political Science 

Estimating 30 credits here, if each course is granted 3. I realize that's not guaranteed!

Sophia
English Composition 1
English Composition 2
U.S. History 1
U.S. History 2
Intro to I.T.
(Possibly Topics in U.S. History)

Estimating 15 (poss 18) credits here.

I've studied Spanish at a language school overseas, so I do know a bit and would like maximum credit from it, but I'm not sure the best way to do this, considering I have 3 credit hours from JBU for an intermediate level.

If I completed Spanish 1 from Sophia, is it possible to get credit even though I completed a higher level previously through JBU, as they didn't give me credit for my prior knowledge, but only placed me at a higher level?

I'd appreciate any help and feedback you all can offer. Thanks so much!
Current Goal:
UMPI: B.L.S. with minors in English and Educational Studies

I'm 65% through my degree!

Earned:  84 credits total
RA: 3 credits
Sophia: 75 credits
Study.com: 6 credits

CLEP: 9 in progress...
UMPI: 6 in progress...
You have 18x3 = 54 credits listed. You're very close, credit-wise, to the 60 needed.

You need 6 credits in math and/or science, which you've obtained. 3 credits in English/communications - yup. 3 credits in social sciences - definitely. 3 credits in computer literacy - yes again.

You can certainly take both Spanish I and II at Sophia, if you want, and get maximum credit that way. I suspect that Spanish I would be Spanish 101 and Spanish II would be Spanish 102. You have Spanish 201 which is usually something like "Intermediate Spanish I".

If you don't still have a Sophia subscription, you could take an ACTFL exam to get credit. The Spanish LPI (listening) and RPI (reading) exams are $31 each. You could take one or both of them for credit. They shouldn't overlap at Pierpont. There are also the OPIc (oral) and WPT (writing) exams for $73 each. If you would be interested in an Area of Emphasis in Spanish for the Pierpont degree, you might want to take multiple exams to ensure that you have at least 15 credits of Spanish for Pierpont.

Another possibility for Spanish credit would be the CLEP Spanish exam. This is supposed to be a difficult exam due to the poor quality of the recordings. However, taking the exam would be free through ModernStates.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • fromthedepths, RachelB
(06-26-2023, 01:38 AM)rachel83az Wrote: You have 18x3 = 54 credits listed. You're very close, credit-wise, to the 60 needed.

You need 6 credits in math and/or science, which you've obtained. 3 credits in English/communications - yup. 3 credits in social sciences - definitely. 3 credits in computer literacy - yes again.

You can certainly take both Spanish I and II at Sophia, if you want, and get maximum credit that way. I suspect that Spanish I would be Spanish 101 and Spanish II would be Spanish 102. You have Spanish 201 which is usually something like "Intermediate Spanish I".

If you don't still have a Sophia subscription, you could take an ACTFL exam to get credit. The Spanish LPI (listening) and RPI (reading) exams are $31 each. You could take one or both of them for credit. They shouldn't overlap at Pierpont. There are also the OPIc (oral) and WPT (writing) exams for $73 each. If you would be interested in an Area of Emphasis in Spanish for the Pierpont degree, you might want to take multiple exams to ensure that you have at least 15 credits of Spanish for Pierpont.

Another possibility for Spanish credit would be the CLEP Spanish exam. This is supposed to be a difficult exam due to the poor quality of the recordings. However, taking the exam would be free through ModernStates.

Thanks for the info on Spanish! So it sounds like I can do Spanish 101 & 102 through Sophia to get the additional 6 credits I need, if I understand correctly. 

Now to get to work... Smile
Current Goal:
UMPI: B.L.S. with minors in English and Educational Studies

I'm 65% through my degree!

Earned:  84 credits total
RA: 3 credits
Sophia: 75 credits
Study.com: 6 credits

CLEP: 9 in progress...
UMPI: 6 in progress...
Yup, you totally can do that! Because you're already familiar with Spanish, it should go pretty quickly. The grading may take a while, however.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • RachelB
(06-26-2023, 01:38 AM)rachel83az Wrote: You have 18x3 = 54 credits listed. You're very close, credit-wise, to the 60 needed.

As a native Spanish speaker I can attest to how horrible the CLEP Spanish exam's recordings are.
---
Completed:
Purdue Global - Masters in Cybersecurity
TAMUC - BAAS Organizational Leadership
Pierpont - AAS BOG

[-] The following 2 users Like fromthedepths's post:
  • rachel83az, RachelB
@RachelB, Welcome to the board, you've provided some great info and overview of your situation. That's a great start and follow up, take your time reviewing advice provided already, you may also want to check out the WIKI for Pierpont BOG AAS and the ladder to UMPI degrees. I still suggest you fill us in on more details of your current situation, if possible, by completing the template and last post addendum here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

With the info you currently have, I suggest you complete more credits from Sophia.org that will ladder up to UMPI Bachelors from the Pierpont BOG AAS, you're doing just fine right now with your RA graded credit, you just need more Sophia.org credits to complete the BOG AAS.  These credits get transferred entirely into the UMPI BLS with a minor as that allows 60 credits in electives.  You can decide on that degree or go with the UMPI BABA with a concentration.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(06-26-2023, 09:58 AM)fromthedepths Wrote:
(06-26-2023, 01:38 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Another possibility for Spanish credit would be the CLEP Spanish exam. This is supposed to be a difficult exam due to the poor quality of the recordings. However, taking the exam would be free through ModernStates.

As a native Spanish speaker I can attest to how horrible the CLEP Spanish exam's recordings are.

It is so strange that they haven't gotten better in all these years (at least 15), because there is not the same complaint for French or German; and I can't see why they haven't updated the quality in all that time; I mean, how hard could it be to fix this problem?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-28-2023, 02:20 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-26-2023, 09:58 AM)fromthedepths Wrote:
(06-26-2023, 01:38 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Another possibility for Spanish credit would be the CLEP Spanish exam. This is supposed to be a difficult exam due to the poor quality of the recordings. However, taking the exam would be free through ModernStates.

It is so strange that they haven't gotten better in all these years (at least 15), because there is not the same complaint for French or German; and I can't see why they haven't updated the quality in all that time; I mean, how hard could it be to fix this problem?
I can only assume it's because a lot of people who take the CLEP are either native speakers (like myself) or are so comfortable with the language that they can work through deciphering whatever the f*ck they are saying in the recordings  Big Grin
---
Completed:
Purdue Global - Masters in Cybersecurity
TAMUC - BAAS Organizational Leadership
Pierpont - AAS BOG

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pierpont BOG Associates - speedrun before residency changes millionwords 26 1,431 Yesterday, 08:33 PM
Last Post: FeFe_Fiona
  Pierpont Contacts - Please Do Not Spam Them tensen 20 5,456 Yesterday, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Bermy18
  Pierpont new residency requirement homeschoolmom1 62 6,564 Yesterday, 11:17 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Pierpont is still processing BOGs! lvl0rg4n 3 158 09-16-2024, 10:30 PM
  Pierpont BOG requirement / register before 10/4/24 Jkjy 29 1,865 09-16-2024, 11:46 AM
Last Post: delvin
  Pierpont BOG Progress AirborneAgent 10 1,220 09-15-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Anyone Have Issues Transferring Earned College Credits to Pierpont? Gumbeaux 20 3,682 09-13-2024, 08:25 PM
  Rest in peace, Pierpont BOG AAS? Robson 10 901 09-13-2024, 02:17 PM
Last Post: slaterjack
  Pierpont BOG inkwell 2 223 09-12-2024, 08:24 PM
  Pierpont BOG / 1 credit needed intheprocess 7 530 09-09-2024, 01:44 PM
Last Post: DThomas