Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prepare to be Blown Away!
Ok, so I teach online classes for a local community college. My new classes started Friday and my students have to do an icebreaker intro assignment. One of my students posted he is the "most educated person in America". He has 48 college degrees! He got the designation when he only had 38! He has everything up to several Master's. He has a law degree and who knows what else. The title came after winning a lawsuit against a local college.

I'm feeling very inadequate! I feel like such a wimp trying to eek out 2 bachelor's and thinking about an MBA!

I've been bitten by the education bug, but I don't know if I could get bitten this much!

I just thought this would motivate some on this board to get cracking! I really didn't know this was possible. He said they haven't made him rich yet...I guess not because all the tuition would eat up any profit.

Ok fellow degree seekers, now we have no excuses to not continue on!
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
All that knowledge and he hasnt solved any of the worlds problems.
So dont feel bad. When he does that then we bow upon his feet.
Until then hes just finding his way. hilarious

marianne202 Wrote:Ok, so I teach online classes for a local community college. My new classes started Friday and my students have to do an icebreaker intro assignment. One of my students posted he is the "most educated person in America". He has 48 college degrees! He got the designation when he only had 38! He has everything up to several Master's. He has a law degree and who knows what else. The title came after winning a lawsuit against a local college.

I'm feeling very inadequate! I feel like such a wimp trying to eek out 2 bachelor's and thiking about an MBA!

I've been bitten by the education bug, but I don't know if I could get bitten this much!

I just thought this would motivate some on this board to get cracking! I really didn't know this was possible. He said they haven't made him rich yet...I guess not because all the tuition would eat up any profit.

[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="4"][SIZE="4"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]"Oh, get a job? Just get a job? Why don't I strap on my job helmet, and squeeze down into a job cannon and fire off into job land, where jobs grow on jobbies!" Its always sunny in Philadelphia.

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]tesc credit banked
FEMA IS courses- alot

Aleks completed-many of them

Cleps:Spanish 67

Associates in psychology UOP
TESC BA in psychology[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

attempting currently
Masters in counseling
Imagine the wall needed to display the diplomas. Now, imagine walking into an office with all the diplomas displayed...I would probably take a quick look and leave fearing this was a strange person. This may be a case where too much is not good.
dmasters1 Wrote:Imagine the wall needed to display the diplomas. Now, imagine walking into an office with all the diplomas displayed...I would probably take a quick look and leave fearing this was a strange person. This may be a case where too much is not good.
I kind of agree. It's not the knowledge or the degree(s), it's what you DO with what you've learned. This professional student has reason to be very proud of having 48 college degrees but imho having that many degrees dilutes their value. Makes me wonder if he's advanced very far in the 'real world' job market.
Marianne,

When if finished laughing, I remembered the old addage "Jack of all trades, master of none."

This guy is truly a professional student! When it is all said and done it is about only two things: Moving up in your career/income (socioeconomic level) or because it is what you want to do (self-actualization). Can anyone remember the much mentioned in all psych and management courses Maslow's Heirarchy? Smile

Judy
P00057870 Wrote:Marianne,

When if finished laughing, I remembered the old addage "Jack of all trades, master of none."

This guy is truly a professional student! When it is all said and done it is about only two things: Moving up in your career/income (socioeconomic level) or because it is what you want to do (self-actualization). Can anyone remember the much mentioned in all psych and management courses Maslow's Heirarchy? Smile

Judy
>>

I know what you mean. I'm sure he thinks it's sour grapes when people question his motives, oh well. He's clearly determined.

I have always this thing in my head, where I visualize a giant balance scale, and I think balance is best. Too much consumption (schooling) needs to be balanced with contribution (working/teaching/etc). When I think about the student in your class, I think he has sure had his share of consumption...but what has he contributed? I shared this concept with my students when we conducted a resume writing seminar years back- too much job and too little education wasn't any better than too much education with too little work! Anyway, that's my own little mini-philosophy of life, that's how I make a lot of decisions- so to each their own, but that's my two cents.

The fact that he has 48 degrees isn't nearly as telling about his personality as
a) he sued his college
b) he went public with his fellow students that he sued his college (and in his intro post!)
c) he announced his title/designation in his intro post
THOSE little factoids are what I find interesting LOL Smile

I'm guessing it's a he (not a she) and that he isn't married. I'm guessing he works, but hasn't advanced. I'd guess he isn't in any kind of leadership or management role, and I'd guess he doesn't have many friends.

That was fun lol.
marianne202 Wrote:Ok, so I teach online classes for a local community college. My new classes started Friday and my students have to do an icebreaker intro assignment. One of my students posted he is the "most educated person in America". He has 48 college degrees! He got the designation when he only had 38! He has everything up to several Master's. He has a law degree and who knows what else. The title came after winning a lawsuit against a local college.

I'm feeling very inadequate! I feel like such a wimp trying to eek out 2 bachelor's and thinking about an MBA!

PM me his name.. i tried to google this person.. but nothing came up....

<head>Twenty-seven degrees and counting: Kalamazoo man enjoys the 'freedom' of intellectual pursuits - MLive.com

what is the world record for most college degrees earned by one person

WikiAnswers - Which person has earned the most college degrees excluding honorary

William & Mary - Bolger overcomes dyslexia to earn 11 graduate degrees
DSST Environment & Race to Save Humanity *  51/80 Clep CIS  63/80
College Math  66/80 * DSST Business Law II  -  No Pass
Principles of Mgmt  61/80 * A/I Lit  51/80 retest 61/80
Social Sciences and History -  66/80  -  A * Freshman Composition  -  60/80
Intro to Computers  426 -Current System - p/f = pass * Intro to Modern Middle East Studies -  61/80
Human Cultural Geography  -  61/80 * US History I  - A   -61/80
US History II - A  68/80 * Civil War  -  A   57/80
Intro to World Religions  - A  68/80 * Intro to Bus Law -  64/80    A
Public Speaking 55/80  A * MIS 429/500 * Statistics 459/500 * MacroEconomics  57/80
MicroEconomics   53/80 (ran out no money in meter) * Criminal Justice 418/500
English Comp with Essay 58/80 * Personal Finance 406/500 (Ran thru IC once & test once... 40 minutes/98 questions.. close call) 
Principle of Supervision -  436/500 * Clep American Government 67/80  
FEMA's Completed - 49 (sorry i'm addicted to them).

BA - Criminal Justice - Central State University
AAS - Computer Science - TESU
AAS - BOG - Info Tech - Pierpont
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member
A co-worker brought up a good point. Maybe he is a professional students meaning that he is doing grants / student loans and as long as he is in school he won't have to pay anything back! So when he dies with 120 degrees without paying back any loans he will feel like he beat the system. Something to think about.

Jennifer, I like your take! It makes me wonder how much time he does have for working and being a functional part of society!

I just thought it was a funny, interesting story to pass along to our group!
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
what a challenge

i admire the dude in some ways...........

some people collect cars, some collect toys, some collect jewelry, some collect movies and books, some collect whatever..................

well he chooses to collect degrees.

i like this, at least he keeps his mind challenged and does not just pile up junk.

wonder what areas his degrees are in and how many are accredited..........interesting.
:hurray:

[SIZE=2]it is a journey[/SIZE]
I would like to do the same thing. See if you can get him to share with you his technique and what degrees he has.

Thanks

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resources to prepare for ECE World Population leefleming 2 337 07-25-2024, 02:57 AM
Last Post: leefleming
  Online bachelor CS degree to prepare for a master CS program npvn 10 3,152 12-09-2019, 02:00 AM
Last Post: Zo_ey
  does learn spanish in 50 days prepare one for the upper level CLEP in spanish jgbenjamin 6 1,302 03-12-2016, 05:50 PM
Last Post: Forgiven
  HELP NEEDED:Can I prepare for the Bio CLEP in one week? How? What pacing/ scheduling? jgbenjamin 4 1,662 02-10-2016, 12:08 PM
Last Post: DBRENNAN118
  What level math can Khan Academy prepare me for, for a CLEP test? Myco_Scholar 2 2,067 07-28-2015, 10:53 AM
Last Post: jortholmes
  High School texts (or DIVE course)used to prepare for DSST Physical Science? rjohnson 12 1,743 03-09-2015, 01:41 PM
Last Post: rjohnson
  Giving away books used to prepare for CLEP exams Beate 0 472 12-30-2013, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Beate
  Using MOOCs and free online courses to prepare for CLEP exams doubush 3 1,772 10-21-2013, 01:53 PM
Last Post: Prloko
  One week to prepare robe4658 4 1,036 11-23-2012, 09:06 PM
Last Post: Westerner
  CLEP - English Literature, Any suggestions to prepare? Michacco 1 482 03-22-2012, 12:05 PM
Last Post: clep3705