Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Penalty of not passing the College Mathematics CLEP exam...
New to this forum, but not to forums in general. I know the basic rules of "search before you start a new thread", but of coarse I wasn't able to find anything on the question I am about to ask, so sorry for cluttering up the board.

I plan on taking my first CLEP exam tomorrow afternoon in College Mathematics. I need to pass this exam (or the College Algebra CLEP) for unit credits, and to fulfill the graduation competency requirement at my community college for an Associates Degree. I understand that if I fail to pass, College Board prohibits me to retake the exam within 6 months. With that being said, does that penalty also include not being able to take the College Algebra within the 6 months (or other clep math exams), or is it a completely independent exam, and will be allowed to take it regardless of my College Mathematics score?

Thanks in advance for the responses!
It is only that exam. You could still take any other CLEP or DSST course (math or not), a course at your community college, or a course from elsewhere like ALEKS. College Algebra appears to be offered by both CLEP and DSST so you options on too (check with your school to see which one they take). You might also check into ALEKS.com if the CLEP doesn't go well, but make sure your school will accept these specific ACE approved credits. It sounds like you just need to take the test and be done so I wish you the best of luck (I haven't taken that exam so I have no advice on that).

The exact wording is:
"You may not repeat an examination of the same title within six months..."

See page 3 of http://media.collegeboard.com/digitalSer...focand.pdf
My completed "non-traditional" credits include 27 credits from CLEP, 30 credits from DSST, 6 credits from ALEKS, 19 credits from FEMA courses including PDS, 3 credits from NFA courses, 10 credits from ACE Workplace Training, 3 credits from a TESC TECEP exam, and 3 credits from a TESC PLA course.
Cool! thanks for the reply.

I'm so glad that I came across these options. I was originally looking for study material to score high on the Community College math assessment test, but came across the concept of Clepping for credit. I know for sure that my CC will award credit by scoring 50 or higher on CLEP exams, but not sure about DSST or ALEKS. Has anyone used ALEKS or DSST credit at any LACCD (Los Angeles Community College District) school?
Max Droid Wrote:Cool! thanks for the reply.

I'm so glad that I came across these options. I was originally looking for study material to score high on the Community College math assessment test, but came across the concept of Clepping for credit. I know for sure that my CC will award credit by scoring 50 or higher on CLEP exams, but not sure about DSST or ALEKS. Has anyone used ALEKS or DSST credit at any LACCD (Los Angeles Community College District) school?

Looks like they have their information buried on the site pretty well. The CLEP info is front and center if you search for ACE Credit on the main page but the other info doesn't seem to appear. Your best off contacting the registrar's office or admissions office to see if they take them. If they don't know what ALEKS is tell them it is an ACE (American Council on Education) approved math course you'd like to take. As far as DSST (known to some as DANTES) goes, my CC pretends they don't exist yet takes most of them. Just because they don't have the policy posted doesn't always mean they won't take it. The reason they take the CLEP exams is that they are ACE approved and the most common, but since DSST and ALEKS are too you may be surprised what your school may take. It never hurts to ask, and never hurts to "petition" for their acceptance. I was able to get many courses matched that didn't fit the transfer guide of my CC just because I took the time to research and fill out the paperwork.

Start with the CLEP test like you planned and then if you need to you can explore your other options.

CLEP Acceptance Grid for your school:
http://www.laccd.edu/admin_regs/documents/E-123.pdf
My completed "non-traditional" credits include 27 credits from CLEP, 30 credits from DSST, 6 credits from ALEKS, 19 credits from FEMA courses including PDS, 3 credits from NFA courses, 10 credits from ACE Workplace Training, 3 credits from a TESC TECEP exam, and 3 credits from a TESC PLA course.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit bjcheung77 17 172,849 09-16-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Freshman College Comp w/essay mom2school 13 2,741 09-14-2024, 07:37 AM
Last Post: upgradelately
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 18 2,030 08-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: wow
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,342 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Free College Hack - Italian or Hungarian Ancestry nykorn 7 624 07-23-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  College or university isn't what it's cracked up to be... bjcheung77 3 432 07-14-2024, 10:58 AM
  Free college for "Senior citizens" jb111 6 758 07-07-2024, 06:55 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Next Frontier for College Sports: Cornhole Scholarships LevelUP 1 294 07-01-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: lisarox
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 4 1,115 06-13-2024, 09:12 AM
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 22 3,377 05-31-2024, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Thfuriene