Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mississippi State Engineering
2 new online Bachelors degrees
Bagley College of Engineering announces two online degree programs | Bagley College of Engineering (msstate.edu)
In addition to the $385.50/cr for T&RF (tuition & required fees), there's a Distance Fee - Engineering of $200/cr + Instructional Support Fee $25/cr - for a total of $610.50/cr, or $1,831.50/3cr course.

128cr total - 64cr from a CC, and there's a 32cr UL residency requirement as well. So even if you could transfer in the max (doubtful), you'd have to pay $19,536. It's not bad for an engineering degree, but you also don't get all of the hands-on labs and working with other students, as well as internships and contact with teachers.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(10-03-2022, 09:53 PM)dfrecore Wrote: In addition to the $385.50/cr for T&RF (tuition & required fees), there's a Distance Fee - Engineering of $200/cr + Instructional Support Fee $25/cr - for a total of $610.50/cr, or $1,831.50/3cr course.

128cr total - 64cr from a CC, and there's a 32cr UL residency requirement as well.  So even if you could transfer in the max (doubtful), you'd have to pay $19,536.  It's not bad for an engineering degree, but you also don't get all of the hands-on labs and working with other students, as well as internships and contact with teachers.

OK, but all those negatives are essentially true of any distance learning program.  In general, people don't enroll in these sorts of programs because they think it's the best way to go through university.  They do it because it's the only way they can manage it. Isn't it a good thing that there are now more choices available?
Engineering programs are harder to find online and affordably... Prospective students should research possible programs that hit their interests, that are within their budget, and also the course content is what they are really into, as some programs have courses that are not exactly the same courses a student may want to take. Some focus on specific subject area such as in Engineering, IT, or some programs may be too basic, practical or technical, etc... I would add a few programs from other institutions to compare and then decide which ones you want to go for and which ones you would have as your backup plan.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-04-2022, 09:19 AM)Alpha Wrote:
(10-03-2022, 09:53 PM)dfrecore Wrote: In addition to the $385.50/cr for T&RF (tuition & required fees), there's a Distance Fee - Engineering of $200/cr + Instructional Support Fee $25/cr - for a total of $610.50/cr, or $1,831.50/3cr course.

128cr total - 64cr from a CC, and there's a 32cr UL residency requirement as well.  So even if you could transfer in the max (doubtful), you'd have to pay $19,536.  It's not bad for an engineering degree, but you also don't get all of the hands-on labs and working with other students, as well as internships and contact with teachers.

OK, but all those negatives are essentially true of any distance learning program.  In general, people don't enroll in these sorts of programs because they think it's the best way to go through university.  They do it because it's the only way they can manage it.  Isn't it a good thing that there are now more choices available?

Sure except that with Engineering especially, you're really missing out doing it online.  You're missing some critical parts of a degree that wouldn't matter with a lot of other degrees.

For the price tag, I think you could go to a lot of in-state colleges with decent engineering programs for the same cost, especially if you look at the cost of a CC worth of 64cr and then 64cr x $610.50/cr = $39k - you can definitely get an engineering degree for that price lots of places.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
If I were graduating high school now, I'd do the BSEE degree online. I'd probably pick U of A (Arizona), ASU, or Stony Brook. I mean there are a lot of choices for online BSEE degrees now. I'm sure there will be more. Mississippi State is still a good option; probably not as well-known as the ones I mentioned.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free Course Jacksonville State University a_dblu 61 12,408 09-26-2024, 08:26 PM
Last Post: BritStudent
  Seeking interviewees with non-accredited/non-traditional degrees for Ohio State Study mitchell1857 0 166 09-10-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: mitchell1857
  Online Electrical Engineering Degree OtterDen 5 780 07-09-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Systems Engineering Certification NotJoeBiden 3 682 03-31-2024, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Chimera
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 662 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  5 institutions paying fine plus how much college costs in every state bjcheung77 1 384 01-25-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: inor
  Metropolia Transition to Bachelor of Engineering in Information Technology aleksa 10 2,157 11-09-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: aleksa
  Mexican Bachelor of Engineering programs US$4200 elcastor21 2 594 08-31-2023, 03:38 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Arizona State University looking to purchase FIDM bjcheung77 7 1,235 08-24-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: inf
  Average time to complete a Mechanical Engineering Degree soliloquy 8 12,397 08-14-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: soliloquy