Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arizona State University looking to purchase FIDM
L.A. Fashion Institute students left in lurch after surprise proposed merger with Arizona State

Wow, ASU has so much cash flow, they're looking to expand again it seems...

Link: FIDM students left in lurch after surprise merger - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
A fashion school? What a weird move.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Maybe ASU wants to add more niche courses to their ASU learner program? There are tons of options for distance learning tech and business courses. But fashion design is hard to find. I could see a market for adults in design industries that want those kinds of courses as electives for their degree.
(08-23-2023, 02:31 PM)sanantone Wrote: A fashion school? What a weird move.

Why not? FIT is a SUNY school. I can't imagine how much FIT would cost as a private college. I doubt most people who have enrolled there would have ever been able to if it wasn't public. Fashion is a massive industry. Right on down to the shade of blue every shirt sold in the world is at any given moment. Know how the cut of tshirts changed a few years back? Why did it change? Fashion. Why are short shorts back in style? Fashion. Why are Joe Elliot of Def Leppard sliced jeans back in style? Fashion. There's quite a bit of harsh truth in the movie and book Devil Wears Prada. Fashion isn't just in clothing. It's in home decor, furniture, and paint. It's in other industries such as the automative and craft industries too. If you look at the name of the colors of paint for vehicles, even black rarely is called black. Why? Fashion. Fashion drives sooooo much of what consumers buy and live with. Most people aren't even aware of it. Look at the Pantone Color of the Year.....it's normally EVERYWHERE but especially in fashion. Fashion is a mega industry and worth over $340 BILLION in the US alone. So why not buy a fashion school?

https://www.google.com/search?q=gdp+of+t...e&ie=UTF-8
Hmm, they've done their research and know what they're getting themselves into, I think it's in their best interest to go into other industries or verticals, these ventures are going to give them ROI/Value in the end with their diversified educational industries... I mean most institutions are focusing on Business and IT, this is just one example of them going in a different direction...

(08-23-2023, 03:42 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(08-23-2023, 02:31 PM)sanantone Wrote: A fashion school? What a weird move.

Why not? FIT is a SUNY school. I can't imagine how much FIT would cost as a private college. I doubt most people who have enrolled there would have ever been able to if it wasn't public. Fashion is a massive industry. Right on down to the shade of blue every shirt sold in the world is at any given moment. Know how the cut of tshirts changed a few years back? Why did it change? Fashion. Why are short shorts back in style? Fashion. Why are Joe Elliot of Def Leppard sliced jeans back in style? Fashion. There's quite a bit of harsh truth in the movie and book Devil Wears Prada. Fashion isn't just in clothing. It's in home decor, furniture, and paint. It's in other industries such as the automative and craft industries too. If you look at the name of the colors of paint for vehicles, even black rarely is called black. Why? Fashion. Fashion drives sooooo much of what consumers buy and live with. Most people aren't even aware of it. Look at the Pantone Color of the Year.....it's normally EVERYWHERE but especially in fashion. Fashion is a mega industry and worth over $340 BILLION in the US alone. So why not buy a fashion school?

https://www.google.com/search?q=gdp+of+t...e&ie=UTF-8

The job market for fashion designers is small, and job growth is slow. While fashion might bring in a lot of money for businesses, the average salary for an FIDM fashion graduate is $74,000. That's not a bad salary at all, but fashion being a $340 billion industry isn't trickling down to everyone else. I guess ASU wanted to join other public universities in buying failed for-profit colleges. They couldn't let University of Arizona outdo them. LOL

ASU not only eliminated the one-year program FIDM students were in, but the LA campus currently doesn't qualify for financial aid. This program is not available online.

https://asufidm.asu.edu/bachelors-degree...ad/false/5

I didn't read the very end of the article that's about FIDM's new partnership with Shein, a company facing a RICO lawsuit.

(08-23-2023, 07:55 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hmm, they've done their research and know what they're getting themselves into, I think it's in their best interest to go into other industries or verticals, these ventures are going to give them ROI/Value in the end with their diversified educational industries... I mean most institutions are focusing on Business and IT, this is just one example of them going in a different direction...

ASU already had a fashion program that they started in 2017.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(08-23-2023, 08:06 PM)sanantone Wrote: ASU already had a fashion program that they started in 2017.

That's cool, I guess they are snapping up the competition to gain a small number of students (450 or so) and also to shrink their competition or expand their offerings, merging offerings or whatever their plans are...

FIT and FIDM is highly known in the fashion industry. Almost every girl I grew up with knew what it was instantly. I think this is a great way for ASU to expand. They are also EXTREMELY expensive.
TESU - BA CS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Perdoceo to acquire University of St. Augustine... bjcheung77 1 199 09-17-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free Course Jacksonville State University a_dblu 58 11,575 09-16-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: wow
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 17 2,843 09-15-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  University of The Cumberlands Mrsmiracle90 3 350 09-12-2024, 08:47 PM
  Seeking interviewees with non-accredited/non-traditional degrees for Ohio State Study mitchell1857 0 128 09-10-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: mitchell1857
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 23 3,636 08-16-2024, 08:31 PM
Last Post: eyrobinson
  University of Lynchburg Transformation Charles Fout 8 791 08-01-2024, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  College or university isn't what it's cracked up to be... bjcheung77 3 432 07-14-2024, 10:58 AM
  UNED Spanish online university Avidreader 5 765 07-03-2024, 08:29 AM
Last Post: inor
  Talk to me about California Coast University Vle045 16 9,333 06-25-2024, 08:19 PM