Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Mississippi State Engineering - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Mississippi State Engineering (/Thread-Mississippi-State-Engineering)

Mississippi State Engineering - Alpha - 10-03-2022

2 new online Bachelors degrees
Bagley College of Engineering announces two online degree programs | Bagley College of Engineering (msstate.edu)

RE: Mississippi State Engineering - dfrecore - 10-03-2022

In addition to the $385.50/cr for T&RF (tuition & required fees), there's a Distance Fee - Engineering of $200/cr + Instructional Support Fee $25/cr - for a total of $610.50/cr, or $1,831.50/3cr course.

128cr total - 64cr from a CC, and there's a 32cr UL residency requirement as well. So even if you could transfer in the max (doubtful), you'd have to pay $19,536. It's not bad for an engineering degree, but you also don't get all of the hands-on labs and working with other students, as well as internships and contact with teachers.

RE: Mississippi State Engineering - Alpha - 10-04-2022

(10-03-2022, 09:53 PM)dfrecore Wrote: In addition to the $385.50/cr for T&RF (tuition & required fees), there's a Distance Fee - Engineering of $200/cr + Instructional Support Fee $25/cr - for a total of $610.50/cr, or $1,831.50/3cr course.

128cr total - 64cr from a CC, and there's a 32cr UL residency requirement as well.  So even if you could transfer in the max (doubtful), you'd have to pay $19,536.  It's not bad for an engineering degree, but you also don't get all of the hands-on labs and working with other students, as well as internships and contact with teachers.

OK, but all those negatives are essentially true of any distance learning program.  In general, people don't enroll in these sorts of programs because they think it's the best way to go through university.  They do it because it's the only way they can manage it. Isn't it a good thing that there are now more choices available?

RE: Mississippi State Engineering - bjcheung77 - 10-04-2022

Engineering programs are harder to find online and affordably... Prospective students should research possible programs that hit their interests, that are within their budget, and also the course content is what they are really into, as some programs have courses that are not exactly the same courses a student may want to take. Some focus on specific subject area such as in Engineering, IT, or some programs may be too basic, practical or technical, etc... I would add a few programs from other institutions to compare and then decide which ones you want to go for and which ones you would have as your backup plan.

RE: Mississippi State Engineering - dfrecore - 10-04-2022

(10-04-2022, 09:19 AM)Alpha Wrote:
(10-03-2022, 09:53 PM)dfrecore Wrote: In addition to the $385.50/cr for T&RF (tuition & required fees), there's a Distance Fee - Engineering of $200/cr + Instructional Support Fee $25/cr - for a total of $610.50/cr, or $1,831.50/3cr course.

128cr total - 64cr from a CC, and there's a 32cr UL residency requirement as well.  So even if you could transfer in the max (doubtful), you'd have to pay $19,536.  It's not bad for an engineering degree, but you also don't get all of the hands-on labs and working with other students, as well as internships and contact with teachers.

OK, but all those negatives are essentially true of any distance learning program.  In general, people don't enroll in these sorts of programs because they think it's the best way to go through university.  They do it because it's the only way they can manage it.  Isn't it a good thing that there are now more choices available?

Sure except that with Engineering especially, you're really missing out doing it online.  You're missing some critical parts of a degree that wouldn't matter with a lot of other degrees.

For the price tag, I think you could go to a lot of in-state colleges with decent engineering programs for the same cost, especially if you look at the cost of a CC worth of 64cr and then 64cr x $610.50/cr = $39k - you can definitely get an engineering degree for that price lots of places.

RE: Mississippi State Engineering - ifomonay - 10-04-2022

If I were graduating high school now, I'd do the BSEE degree online. I'd probably pick U of A (Arizona), ASU, or Stony Brook. I mean there are a lot of choices for online BSEE degrees now. I'm sure there will be more. Mississippi State is still a good option; probably not as well-known as the ones I mentioned.