Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Missed by One Point
My goodness, I am so disappointed. I took Human Growth and Development this morning and missed my school's cutoff (63) by one point. Sad

I don't know how I'm going to drive home, even (it's an hour back). I'm so bummed.

What do you guys do after "failing"?
You didn't fail, your school has an unusually high cut off. Most people would be thrilled with a 62. You can take it again in 6 months.

Will your school take the DSST Lifespan developmental Psychology? That is Very similar and you could try taking right away.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Don't let this bring your confidence down....pick yourself up and continue.
The first CLEP I took, I scored a 47 and I stopped CLEPs for a whole year and started again this year...don't be like me...continue on.
Plus, you didn't fail. You're school just has a high score needed to pass.
Good luck!
- [SIZE="2"]STG[/SIZE]
[COLOR="Plum"][SIZE="1"]Intro to Sociology 51|Biology 54|Intro to Psychology 61
College Algebra A[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]124 credits: B.A Social Sciences [B]DONE in 14 months; August 2011[/COLOR][/B]
"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty"- [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Winston Churchill[/COLOR]
authorized77 Wrote:My goodness, I am so disappointed. I took Human Growth and Development this morning and missed my school's cutoff (63) by one point. Sad

I don't know how I'm going to drive home, even (it's an hour back). I'm so bummed.

AWWWWW.. I am so sorry that you missed the cutoff, but I agree with Linda in that it is unusually high. As you can see from the tests in my signature, I would have never graduated if COSC hadn't used the ACE recommended score for my tests.

I did fail Macroecon and scored a 48 when 50 is passing. It was embarrassing failing a test that I knew wasn't one of the tough ones and definitely a big bruise to my ego. I spent the next few weeks on Straighterline and that helped take my mind off of it. I also wondered if I would be able to pass other tests after that.... perhaps I had gotten lucky on the previous tests I had taken?

It was tough to get back on the wagon after failing, but it did improve my study habits after that. I don't think it sounds like you need to improve a lot, after all, by almost anyone's standards YOU PASSED. However, if your school has ridiculously high scoring, then you'll need to take study to the next level. Or, you may want to consider other ways to earn the same type of credit such as the self-paced classes from CSU or LSU. Are the passing scores for all of the DSST/CLEP that they accept so high?
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
ISSA Certified Nutritionist
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
I failed TWO DSST's two weeks ago, Statistics and Race to save the planet. I've taken quite a few tests and these were my first fails. I didn't do anything for the first week (well, except feel bad for myself) but this past week I'm more on track, figuring out other ways to get the credits. I have not given up on testing, I've gotten a lot of credits that way! Don't beat yourself up, your school really does have a high score requirement. Best of luck!
Ann

January, 2009: Northeastern University, AS, Human Resources!

Tests Passed:
Labor Relations ECE: B
HR Management, ECE: B
Principles of Marketing CLEP: 67
Introductory Business Law CLEP: 68
Information Systems CLEP: 59
English Comp w/Essay CLEP: 60
Introductory Psychology CLEP: 61
Macroeconomics Clep: 54
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature CLEP: 72
College Math CLEP: 55
Here's to Your Health DSST: 426
Technical Writing DSST: 61
Business Ethics DSST: 444
Business Policy TECEP: Passed!
American Literature: 58
Principles of Supervision DSST: 456
Principles of Statistics DSST: 420

FEMA Courses Passed: 8

Penn Foster:
Business and Technical Writing: Done!
Art Appreciation: Done!

Straighterline:
Microeconomics: 72
Accounting 2: 73
US History: 83
Introductory Biology for Non-Majors: 79
Supposedly, Thomas Edison tried hundreds (thousands?) of items for filaments before he found one that succeeded for light bulbs. It may be apocryphal, but when he was asked how it felt to fail x# of times, he said, "I didn't fail. I learned that x# of items cannot be used as filaments." While technically you failed (that IS a high score requirement), you've learned a lot. Take what you've learned, and lighten up on yourself. :roflol: (Sorry, I'm not good at puns, but I couldn't resist.)
authorized77 Wrote:My goodness, I am so disappointed. I took Human Growth and Development this morning and missed my school's cutoff (63) by one point. Sad

Out of all my CLEPs, 63 was my highest score, and that was on HGD. I went on to earn 51 credits via testing, and earned my degree in 2009. *there was a "real" fail in there, I bombed the Civil War exam.....messes with your head.

For the record, according to CLEP, you passed (with flying colors) and any other school you send that score to will award you 3 credits. If I may ask, how many credits are you away from graduating?
Honestly, I drink alcohol. Seriously though people here are so nice and supportive. We have all been in your place, so dust yourself off and get going on the next one.

authorized77 Wrote:What do you guys do after "failing"?
cookderosa Wrote:Out of all my CLEPs, 63 was my highest score, and that was on HGD. I went on to earn 51 credits via testing, and earned my degree in 2009. *there was a "real" fail in there, I bombed the Civil War exam.....messes with your head.

For the record, according to CLEP, you passed (with flying colors) and any other school you send that score to will award you 3 credits. If I may ask, how many credits are you away from graduating?

I'm *many* credits away from graduating (probably 90?). I just finished my first year of nursing pre-reqs, which leaves 3 years of school left. There are about 5 classes I can CLEP (my school doesn't accept many and it doesn't accept any DSSTs) and especially since I'm pregnant with our first baby (due in about a week!), I want to minimize time in class as much as possible.

I need sociology as a pre-req to applying to the nursing program, so I'm going to schedule it for the end of August and if I don't pass, I will have to take the class this fall. Developmental psych needs to be taken spring semester, so likewise, I'm going to schedule that one for December (winter break, I guess?) and if I don't pass then, I will have to take the class this coming spring.

Whew. I guess I feel better realizing they have a higher cutoff. I cried on the way home, and thought everything was pretty crummy. But I feel better. Thanks for all of the feedback and input Smile
jobee Wrote:Honestly, I drink alcohol. Seriously though people here are so nice and supportive. We have all been in your place, so dust yourself off and get going on the next one.

Heh, I would, but I'm 39 weeks pregnant. One more week! I actually started brewing last week and my first batch should be done right after the baby comes.

I put my new study goals on my whiteboard for the next one.

+Get the REA book and study that
+do instacert flashcards
+do all three Peterson tests
+study any other information on here that I can arm myself with

This time, I studied mostly from flashcards, a little from the textbook I have, and drew some on the gen psych class I took last semester.

Sociology, the next one on my list, passes with a 59. I was going to do it Tuesday but I got pretty freaked out by this being so close (and losing $100) that I am going to do it next month or in August.

Do you guys review every question before you exit the test? One of the biggest things I'm kicking myself is for not spending more time on the test. I spent about 40 minutes and felt like I had plenty of time for each question. I had read in the CLEP prep book from Princeston Review not to change your answers, because usually the first one you pick is right. I did mark some and change them, but I didn't go through the whole test like I would have had it been a regular old college exam.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Should a 10-Point Grading Scale Be The Standard? Ares 6 1,775 02-07-2024, 08:46 PM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  Degree Mills that were accredited at some point? elcastor21 1 694 09-07-2023, 06:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Missed NJDOE GPA for CE by .15! NEED ADVISE ASAP! PLEASE HELP! mel_y_mel 35 4,037 10-06-2021, 10:48 PM
Last Post: NoStudentNoCry
  Catch me up, I feel I missed so much AJ_Atlanta 13 2,991 12-17-2017, 07:36 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Failed Clep Exam by one point lolo 5 3,709 04-10-2017, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jadae@wgu.edu
  Can anyone point me in the right direction? LI94 3 1,203 05-28-2015, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Prloko
  Failed CLEP Macro Economics by ONE point cooperalex2004 10 1,778 09-18-2012, 08:29 PM
Last Post: Westerner
  Omg! Failed American Govt by ONE POINT! nadalcyn 12 2,024 05-10-2011, 10:55 AM
Last Post: nadalcyn
  I Missed My Test!!!!!! kimaya24 7 1,519 03-28-2011, 08:53 PM
Last Post: Storyteller
  Missed Spanish Clep by two points. Teach2Reach 6 1,737 10-19-2010, 08:15 PM
Last Post: NAP