Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problems with bad AI checkers
I'm paranoid so I use one just in case before I turn in any paper even though I don't use any AI at all. The most reliable one that is free I've found https://quillbot.com/ai-content-detector it's also good for spellchecking when open office is on the fritz.
Completed:
UMPI: BA Criminal Justice
Pierpont: AAS BOG w/ Emphasis in Information Systems
Sophia: 24 Courses - The CSM Course - ASU: CIS 194 Business Technology Fundamentals
Coursera: Google IT, Google Data Analytics, Google Digital Marketing, IBM Cybersecurity Analyst
(07-31-2024, 10:45 AM)David1477 Wrote:
(07-31-2024, 10:35 AM)ReyMysterioso Wrote: A Stanford study on the issue revealed seven different AI detectors flagged writing by non-native speakers as AI-generated 61 percent of the time.
It's a real problem.
https://themarkup.org/machine-learning/2...0unanimous.

So according to Stanford, I have better chances of getting through the AI CHECKER (!) by using AI than writing the assignments myself as a non-native student. Damn, the world is really a mess nowadays. I never expected such stupid issues to be possible.

Unfortunately, nobody came up with a solution yet, right?

I personally don't think a solution is possible. AI has now improved enough that there is no definitive way to detect AI used by a smart prompter. Education is just going to have to accept it's a tool everyone will use for writing and research in the same way scientific calculators are accepted tools in math classes and stop trying to fight it. Some will argue "but there's no way to make sure anyone is really learning anything." But I argue that's always been the case. Functionally illiterate students were able to graduate from high school for decades. Really unqualified and undeserving students have been able to get a degree for generations by having other people write their papers and do their homework. It's not that AI broke education. It's been broken for a long time yet so many opportunities require degrees, so we continue doing this performative dance.
(08-03-2024, 11:11 AM)ReyMysterioso Wrote: I personally don't think a solution is possible. AI has now improved enough that there is no definitive way to detect AI used by a smart prompter. Education is just going to have to accept it's a tool everyone will use for writing and research in the same way scientific calculators are accepted tools in math classes and stop trying to fight it. Some will argue "but there's no way to make sure anyone is really learning anything." But I argue that's always been the case. Functionally illiterate students were able to graduate from high school for decades. Really unqualified and undeserving students have been able to get a degree for generations by having other people write their papers and do their homework. It's not that AI broke education. It's been broken for a long time yet so many opportunities require degrees, so we continue doing this performative dance.

I agree with you. People have been graduating from high school without the ability to read for many decades. That has nothing to do with AI. This has to do with the education system as a whole. 

I admit I was one of the anti AI people. But I have actually had to use it in a couple courses recently. Yes, it was actually a requirement and we had to copy and paste our chatGPT read out into our document. I have a whole new appreciation for it. I have since used it to help me find terms to search for in the library database for scholarly journals. It has proved me with a number of topics for research papers and papers in general. Can it be abused? Absolutely. Can professors tell when someone just copies and pastes AI? Absolutely. The lack of citations is a key give away without reading a single word.
It sounds frustrating to deal with these AI detection issues, especially when you're putting in genuine effort with your assignment. It's unfortunate that your school only accepts reports from a single tool, particularly when different tools can give varying results.

Here are a few suggestions that might help:

Rewrite in Your Own Words: If possible, try to rewrite sections of your assignment in a more conversational or personalized style while keeping it academic. This can sometimes help in making the text appear more "human-like" to AI detectors.

Use AI Humanizers: Tools designed to humanize text can sometimes adjust the tone and structure in ways that make it less detectable as AI-generated. While you've tried some tools, experimenting with different ones, like MyEssayWriter.ai's AI humanizer (https://www.myessaywriter.ai/content-humanizer), might give you a different result. These tools aim to make text sound more natural and less formulaic.

Manual Revision: Focus on making your writing more varied and personalized. Use more specific examples, personal insights, or unique expressions. This can sometimes help in distinguishing your writing style from what AI tools might produce.

Seek Academic Support: If your school has an academic support center or writing lab, consider asking them for guidance on improving your writing style. They might offer insights into making your work sound more authentically human without compromising academic professionalism.

Check for Common Phrases: Sometimes, AI detectors flag common phrases or transitions. Ensure your writing avoids overused academic phrases and try to vary your sentence structures.

Avoid Over-Reliance on Tools: While AI detection tools can be useful, they aren't perfect. If the school is adamant about using one specific tool, make sure you fully understand how it works and try to align your writing style accordingly.

If none of these methods work, and you're still facing issues, documenting your efforts to address the problem can be important. Even though it hasn't helped in the past, keeping a record of your attempts to solve the issue can be useful if you need to escalate the problem further within the institution.

I hope these suggestions help, and you’re able to resolve the issue without compromising the quality of your work.
[-] The following 2 users Like harrywilson's post:
  • David1477, Pikachu
(08-05-2024, 07:48 AM)harrywilson Wrote: It sounds frustrating to deal with these AI detection issues, especially when you're putting in genuine effort with your assignment. It's unfortunate that your school only accepts reports from a single tool, particularly when different tools can give varying results.

Here are a few suggestions that might help:

Rewrite in Your Own Words: If possible, try to rewrite sections of your assignment in a more conversational or personalized style while keeping it academic. This can sometimes help in making the text appear more "human-like" to AI detectors.

Use AI Humanizers: Tools designed to humanize text can sometimes adjust the tone and structure in ways that make it less detectable as AI-generated. While you've tried some tools, experimenting with different ones, like MyEssayWriter.ai's AI humanizer (https://www.myessaywriter.ai/content-humanizer), might give you a different result. These tools aim to make text sound more natural and less formulaic.

Manual Revision: Focus on making your writing more varied and personalized. Use more specific examples, personal insights, or unique expressions. This can sometimes help in distinguishing your writing style from what AI tools might produce.

Seek Academic Support: If your school has an academic support center or writing lab, consider asking them for guidance on improving your writing style. They might offer insights into making your work sound more authentically human without compromising academic professionalism.

Check for Common Phrases: Sometimes, AI detectors flag common phrases or transitions. Ensure your writing avoids overused academic phrases and try to vary your sentence structures.

Avoid Over-Reliance on Tools: While AI detection tools can be useful, they aren't perfect. If the school is adamant about using one specific tool, make sure you fully understand how it works and try to align your writing style accordingly.

If none of these methods work, and you're still facing issues, documenting your efforts to address the problem can be important. Even though it hasn't helped in the past, keeping a record of your attempts to solve the issue can be useful if you need to escalate the problem further within the institution.

I hope these suggestions help, and you’re able to resolve the issue without compromising the quality of your work.

Thank you very much for your advise. I will try the options you suggested!
As has already been mentioned, it is widely understood that AI detectors commonly return a false positive result on content written by non-native speaker. This is thought to be related to specific vocabulary and the use of less complex language compared with native speakers.

One suggestion I have is to try originality.ai. It isn't free, but by a wide margin seems to be the most accurate AI detector out there. It flags content and for each individual phrase, offers a percentage score of how likely it is that the content is AI.

I found that in places where other AI detection tools found my original writing (I am a native speaker) to show a 50-60% likelihood of AI generation, Originality found a 0 likelihood. (I tested it with AI generated text, too, and it caught that almost 100%.)

Originality charges by the size of the document you submit. I think a 10 page assignment cost 40 cents or something. You buy $5 or 10 worth of credits. I'm still using my original purchase from. a year ago.
[-] The following 1 user Likes studyingfortests's post:
  • Pikachu
(08-07-2024, 07:14 AM)studyingfortests Wrote: As has already been mentioned, it is widely understood that AI detectors commonly return a false positive result on content written by non-native speaker.  This is thought to be related to specific vocabulary and the use of less complex language compared with native speakers.

One suggestion I have is to try originality.ai.  It isn't free, but by a wide margin seems to be the most accurate AI detector out there. It flags content and for each individual phrase, offers a percentage score of how likely it is that the content is AI.

I found that in places where other AI detection tools found my original writing (I am a native speaker) to show a 50-60% likelihood of AI generation, Originality found a 0 likelihood.  (I tested it with AI generated text, too, and it caught that almost 100%.)

Originality charges by the size of the document you submit.  I think a 10 page assignment cost 40 cents or something.  You buy $5 or 10 worth of credits.  I'm still using my original purchase from. a year ago.

Thank you for this information! Since my school only accepts the reports created by plagiarismchecker.org, it might not help me get out of this situation. But I could definitely try to use this page in a final attempt to prove my innocence.

Now I finally know an AI checker that is pretty good! Thanks a lot!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Metropolia University Common Problems Resolved mariobros1985 21 3,696 02-24-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: therightstuff
  Accreditation problems for Ocean County College indigoshuffle 4 943 07-23-2023, 12:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Another article about transfer problems davewill 11 2,349 11-26-2018, 03:11 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Remote Proctor problems rlw74 7 1,972 03-17-2017, 01:41 PM
Last Post: rlw74
  Credit Evaluation Problems videogamesrock 9 1,673 07-01-2016, 02:16 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Western Civ 1 Instantcert problems Jesusfreak97 6 1,409 06-09-2016, 06:05 PM
Last Post: Jesusfreak97
  Problems with Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct ACE Credit varJosh 12 3,877 06-01-2016, 05:28 PM
Last Post: alzee
  Problems with WGU MBA publius2k4 26 2,802 07-08-2014, 12:24 PM
Last Post: publius2k4
  Problems with College Algebra Clep test 2254178 2 689 04-24-2014, 12:31 AM
Last Post: UptonSinclair
  Aleks and plotting OGIVES? Problems Can219 4 1,439 03-31-2014, 10:24 AM
Last Post: LaterBloomer