Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Credit Evaluation Problems
I'm dealing with someone who is evaluating my transfer credits and is giving me a hard time. I have taken a few courses where I tested out and the courses were posted on my college transcript with a grade of Pass.

The evaluator will not give credit for the courses, unless they are on an ACE transcript because it was credit by exam. She explained to me that she needed to see if the course/test is at a collegiate level. I tried to explain that because the college issued the credit on their transcript, and they are accredited, there is no need for ACE to determine if the course is at a collegiate level.

I also explained that if she were to look at my ACE transcript, she will see credits issued by companies and not universities, which is why ACE is needed to see if they are collegiate in nature. Since the credits were issued by a college for course credit, it is irrelevant if I passed taking a comprehensive final or taken the 16-week format. She insists it needs to be ACE approved.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this person? I tend to lose my patience really quickly when dealing with these folks. Should I request to speak with a different evaluator?
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
What school are you trying to transfer to?

Not all schools will accept other school's challenge exams. Some transcripts you can't tell the difference between a challenge exam and a pass/fail course, but it sounds like you can on this transcript. It's still up to the receiving institution.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
videogamesrock Wrote:I'm dealing with someone who is evaluating my transfer credits and is giving me a hard time. I have taken a few courses where I tested out and the courses were posted on my college transcript with a grade of Pass.

The evaluator will not give credit for the courses, unless they are on an ACE transcript because it was credit by exam. She explained to me that she needed to see if the course/test is at a collegiate level. I tried to explain that because the college issued the credit on their transcript, and they are accredited, there is no need for ACE to determine if the course is at a collegiate level.

I also explained that if she were to look at my ACE transcript, she will see credits issued by companies and not universities, which is why ACE is needed to see if they are collegiate in nature. Since the credits were issued by a college for course credit, it is irrelevant if I passed taking a comprehensive final or taken the 16-week format. She insists it needs to be ACE approved.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this person? I tend to lose my patience really quickly when dealing with these folks. Should I request to speak with a different evaluator?

Unfortunately, I think you'll encounter this in most cases. Having a course on a transcript does not launder it from its original source. It's typical that colleges want original transcripts for courses inside a transcript that doesn't result in a degree. Less typical when the degree is complete, but not unheard of. For example, if you had completed the degree and were applying to grad school when you asked this question, you'd see a mix of yes/no fellow members that had to provide the transcripts within their transcript (eg. CLEP, ACE, other colleges, etc.). I wrote about this last month on my LinkedIn page.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/credit-la...eader-card
It doesn't sound like he's trying to credit launder. It sounds like he took challenge exams at one school (School A), and wants to transfer those to another (School B). School B doesn't want to accept the challenge exams. Credit laundering would have an intermediary trying to hide School A from School B, and that of course never works. But in this case, he's going directly from A to B.

Sounds similar to how Excelsior didn't want to accept CSU Global CBEs a while back (until sanantone convinced them).
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
There is likely some appeal process. Go ahead and make use of it. At least then if they say, "No," it will be official.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I agree - this is not credit laundering. Every school I've ever gone to has offered the option of a challenge exam for many courses. You work directly with the dean of the department, and they have you work with an instructor who normally teaches that course. Not every course will offer this (usually anything that requires a paper like English Comp will not have this option). But it's very common, especially at CC's. I've found it to be the case for bilingual students who want to show that they are fluent in speaking as well as reading/writing. They can go to the foreign language department and the instructor will evaluate them and give them credit for courses up to the level they are at.

There is no ACE-approval for things like this. This is done through the school directly.

I would just ask to speak to someone else.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
jsd Wrote:It doesn't sound like he's trying to credit launder. It sounds like he took challenge exams at one school (School A), and wants to transfer those to another (School B). School B doesn't want to accept the challenge exams. Credit laundering would have an intermediary trying to hide School A from School B, and that of course never works. But in this case, he's going directly from A to B.

Sounds similar to how Excelsior didn't want to accept CSU Global CBEs a while back (until sanantone convinced them).

That was COSC. They have no problems with challenge exams. They accept TECEPs. They had a problem with CSU Global's CBEs not being residency credits.

If the issue was accepting pass/fail credits, then there wouldn't be anything you could argue. Since the question is whether or not the test is at the collegiate level, the school's argument is just plain stupid. An accredited college can't get away with awarding credits for tests or courses that have not gone through an evaluation process to determine worthiness for college credits. Logically, a challenge exam from an accredited college should receive less resistance than an ACE evaluation of a non-college course. ACE is not an accreditor.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Thanks for everyones feedback. I will go ahead and appeal the evaluation and take it from there.

There is no laundering, I simply challenged the course at school A which I passed and wanted to transfer to school B.
MA in progress
AAS & AGS
sanantone Wrote:That was COSC. They have no problems with challenge exams. They accept TECEPs. They had a problem with CSU Global's CBEs not being residency credits.

If the issue was accepting pass/fail credits, then there wouldn't be anything you could argue. Since the question is whether or not the test is at the collegiate level, the school's argument is just plain stupid. An accredited college can't get away with awarding credits for tests or courses that have not gone through an evaluation process to determine worthiness for college credits. Logically, a challenge exam from an accredited college should receive less resistance than an ACE evaluation of a non-college course. ACE is not an accreditor.

Sanatone,

I agree with you 100%, it doesn't get more collegiate than an exam from a college. ACE would be a stop down from that. I think the evaluator is thoroughly confused. Thanks for your help.
MA in progress
AAS & AGS
videogamesrock Wrote:Thanks for everyones feedback. I will go ahead and appeal the evaluation and take it from there.

There is no laundering, I simply challenged the course at school A which I passed and wanted to transfer to school B.

My apologies- I didn't realize these were challenge exams. In that case, you may be successful requesting a statement to that effect from your first college. There is something on there that's creating an issue, and I have no idea what that is. Typically challenge exams represent the same course name / title/ etc. and are simply pass fail (which many colleges offer as an option anyway, even when you TAKE the CLASS) so something's not right. If they were departmental challenge exams, your school can tell them that. It doesn't mean they have to accept the credit, but it will redirect them to the correct location (which is not ACE)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit bjcheung77 17 172,761 09-16-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Prerequisite and credit transfer question kblue6494 4 246 08-29-2024, 10:37 AM
Last Post: kblue6494
  Question about the 1 credit RA self-paced class from ASU sparkling 6 1,920 08-28-2024, 10:42 AM
Exclamation Problems with bad AI checkers David1477 16 1,060 08-07-2024, 01:11 PM
Last Post: David1477
  Quickest/Most inexpensive credit banking? Calstar 10 1,983 07-10-2024, 09:36 PM
  CPA prep course + 30 hours of Accounting credit for $2,970 freeloader 6 727 05-31-2024, 07:33 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 8 2,253 04-25-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  Translation for the evaluation agency Throwmeaway1590 2 338 03-28-2024, 04:29 PM
  Metropolia University Common Problems Resolved mariobros1985 21 3,696 02-24-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: therightstuff
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 2,907 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM