Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lib Arts Health + Wellness Concentration
(05-24-2021, 10:31 PM)k-k-k-katy Wrote: or at least not in time for my degree plan, ha - but hopefully, in the future, on-line, alternative will open up more and more.  Here's an off-topic question, though:  I'm not sure where the Sophia Introduction to Information Technology fits in a lib arts degree plan - is it a General Education Elective?

It can either go in Understanding the Physical & Natural World or under GE electives, yes.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(05-25-2021, 08:31 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(05-24-2021, 10:31 PM)k-k-k-katy Wrote: or at least not in time for my degree plan, ha - but hopefully, in the future, on-line, alternative will open up more and more.  Here's an off-topic question, though:  I'm not sure where the Sophia Introduction to Information Technology fits in a lib arts degree plan - is it a General Education Elective?

It can either go in Understanding the Physical & Natural World or under GE electives, yes.
Thanks!
(05-18-2021, 09:22 PM)dfrecore Wrote: This is just not one of the concentrations you can get cheaply/quickly.

My daughter is considering this degree from Purdue Global (her work pays 100% for any degree there).  You can bring in 90cr, including ACE.

Hi!  I know its been awhile since this thread but this particular post from you just came to my mind today.  Did your daughter choose the Health and Wellness degree from Purdue Global?  Did she bring in all the alternative credits?  How did you figure that out?  We're getting closer to needing to make our leap for TESU...or somewhere else.  Does Purdue Global work like UMPI (except no age restriction), self-paced, finish as many courses as possible per term?  Is it priced similarly to UMPI?  Very curious to know what you think of Purdue Global and how it all works.  If you see this post I hope to hear your perspective.  Thanks!
(08-24-2021, 05:41 PM)k-k-k-katy Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 09:22 PM)dfrecore Wrote: This is just not one of the concentrations you can get cheaply/quickly.

My daughter is considering this degree from Purdue Global (her work pays 100% for any degree there).  You can bring in 90cr, including ACE.

Hi!  I know its been awhile since this thread but this particular post from you just came to my mind today.  Did your daughter choose the Health and Wellness degree from Purdue Global?  Did she bring in all the alternative credits?  How did you figure that out?  We're getting closer to needing to make our leap for TESU...or somewhere else.  Does Purdue Global work like UMPI (except no age restriction), self-paced, finish as many courses as possible per term?  Is it priced similarly to UMPI?  Very curious to know what you think of Purdue Global and how it all works.  If you see this post I hope to hear your perspective.  Thanks!

She starts tomorrow (although she already did the orientation course, and some other things). She has some credits already from a year of CC, and will be doing Study.com for a bunch more.  But really, she's doing PG because they have the courses she needs for a different program - once she finishes those, she's only 8 courses away from finishing the degree entirely, and she'll be done with the pre-reqs for a surgical tech program, so it makes sense for her to try to finish the bachelor's prior to starting the ST program (fall start only).

She is not doing the ExcelTrack program (the CBE), but the regular one - Health & Wellness is not offered through CBE.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-24-2021, 09:19 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

She starts tomorrow (although she already did the orientation course, and some other things). She has some credits already from a year of CC, and will be doing Study.com for a bunch more.  But really, she's doing PG because they have the courses she needs for a different program - once she finishes those, she's only 8 courses away from finishing the degree entirely, and she'll be done with the pre-reqs for a surgical tech program, so it makes sense for her to try to finish the bachelor's prior to starting the ST program (fall start only).

She is not doing the ExcelTrack program (the CBE), but the regular one - Health & Wellness is not offered through CBE.

Thanks!  That's very impressive, actually.  How many alt credits will she bring in altogether?  How many Purdue Global courses is she allowed to take per term and how long are the terms?  So, will she be taking study.com courses at the same time she is taking PG courses?  What is her timeline?  How did you figure out which study.com courses to use for that degree?  That always seems to be the mystery for me (for most schools) how to match alt credit to the required courses.  I had wondered if the Health and Wellness degree was part of the ExcelTrack, so it looks like TESU still seems to be the best match for us.  I appreciate your response, as always.
(08-24-2021, 10:19 PM)k-k-k-katy Wrote:
(08-24-2021, 09:19 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

Thanks!  That's very impressive, actually.  How many alt credits will she bring in altogether?  How many Purdue Global courses is she allowed to take per term and how long are the terms?  So, will she be taking study.com courses at the same time she is taking PG courses?  What is her timeline?  How did you figure out which study.com courses to use for that degree?  That always seems to be the mystery for me (for most schools) how to match alt credit to the required courses.  I had wondered if the Health and Wellness degree was part of the ExcelTrack, so it looks like TESU still seems to be the best match for us.  I appreciate your response, as always.

Well, she's not trying to max out on alt-credit, since she needs the RA credit including sciences with labs for a different program - she's kind of doing it backwards from what we on this forum usually do.  Her employer pays 100% of courses, so this is her best option to get free credit to take back to somewhere else.

PG has 10-week terms; so shorter than semesters, shorter even than 12-week quarters.  They will only allow 2 courses her first term, and then she plans on taking 3 each term, which should be roughly equal to a 15cr semester that she was used to.  It's also nice to be able to go year-round, rather than 2 semesters - it works better for someone who's not really needing summers off.  She works FT (or close to it), so it's silly to do the traditional thing for her.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • k-k-k-katy
Check this new thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...IT-courses

Most of the MOOC (free) courses are CS/IT, but they currently have a 2-credit "Rethinking Health" course (must enroll by December). https://studies.helsinki.fi/courses/cur/...ing_health

It's probably not worth getting just 2 ECTS evaluated, but you might find some interesting/useful courses on other topics. Or they might add more Health & Wellness options in January. I have no idea, but I think it'd be worth taking the 2-credit course just in case.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(10-14-2021, 06:29 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Check this new thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...IT-courses

Most of the MOOC (free) courses are CS/IT, but they currently have a 2-credit "Rethinking Health" course (must enroll by December). https://studies.helsinki.fi/courses/cur/...ing_health

It's probably not worth getting just 2 ECTS evaluated, but you might find some interesting/useful courses on other topics. Or they might add more Health & Wellness options in January. I have no idea, but I think it'd be worth taking the 2-credit course just in case.

Thanks!!! I definitely will check that out!  I am hoping the XAMK courses we did take (GER, NUT) will fit exactly into our AOS.  I emailed back and forth with an assistant dean (health and wellness) at TESU recently and there seemed to be quite a reluctance to accept ANY alternative HEA or FIT courses (I sent a long list of SDC, Coopersmith possibilities as examples of how the HEA and FIT courses could be met by alternative credit to meet AOS requirements).  There was "just" a bit of hope, though, so I'm not giving up.  I think he wanted to know EXACTLY which courses I wanted to use in place of THEIR exact courses.  I'll head over to the other thread and see what's up.  I have LOVED the XAMK courses, they are great, the instructors are very responsive, the course content REALLY good.
I'm glad that you're enjoying the XAMK courses!

TESU staff are definitely very reluctant to state unequivocally exactly which courses will work for what requirement. It's usually easiest (though not necessarily cheapest) to just transfer the courses in anyway and see where TESU puts them.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(10-14-2021, 11:45 AM)k-k-k-katy Wrote:
(10-14-2021, 06:29 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Check this new thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...IT-courses

Thanks!!! I definitely will check that out!  I am hoping the XAMK courses we did take (GER, NUT) will fit exactly into our AOS.  I emailed back and forth with an assistant dean (health and wellness) at TESU recently and there seemed to be quite a reluctance to accept ANY alternative HEA or FIT courses (I sent a long list of SDC, Coopersmith possibilities as examples of how the HEA and FIT courses could be met by alternative credit to meet AOS requirements).  There was "just" a bit of hope, though, so I'm not giving up.  I think he wanted to know EXACTLY which courses I wanted to use in place of THEIR exact courses.  I'll head over to the other thread and see what's up.  I have LOVED the XAMK courses, they are great, the instructors are very responsive, the course content REALLY good.

So the issue with this particular cert being more difficult to get is that they have a very specific set of courses you must take, rather than something like the Marketing cert, which has 2 specific courses and then 4 elective courses (https://www.tesu.edu/business/marketing).

So really, you are looking for those EXACT courses.  The only one I know for sure is SDC's NUTR 101: Science of Nutrition (although I'm guessing Coopersmith's SCI-101: The Science of Nutrition; SCIx259: The Science of Nutrition (UExcel), and NUTRI101: Introduction to Nutrition (SL) will work as well).

Coopersmith used to have Kinesiology, but no longer does.

The other things that have to do with Fitness and Health don't really match up to the courses TESU requires.  Like, Coopersmith's FIT-101: Fundamentals of Fitness and SL's PE101: Personal Fitness & Wellness don't line up with FIT-230 (which is more about assessing fitness and wellness of others and creating programs for them).

I would give up on this as being way too expensive.  You might find one elsewhere for cheaper as it's just an undergrad cert.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice needed for Health Degree thethinker58 13 1,735 08-10-2024, 10:21 PM
Last Post: wow
  Health Science, AAS leaannrillorta@gmail.com 3 287 06-27-2024, 02:37 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI YourPace Liberal Arts- Education Minor Degree Plan ecomony 6 505 05-16-2024, 02:57 PM
  Psychology or Liberal Arts with Excelsior University H31d1 6 755 10-01-2023, 06:54 AM
Last Post: H31d1
  Please help me plan my Gen Ed courses for a Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics at SNHU ausernameisneeded 13 2,778 08-01-2023, 01:20 AM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  Help with TESU AAS in Health Studies Pathway to BSN maebak2skl 14 1,613 07-07-2023, 01:01 PM
Last Post: maebak2skl
  Excelsior liberal arts and Tesu Business admin ! jakill2 7 894 04-11-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excel: BPS in Technology Management with a Nuclear Technology Concentration. Radcon7 5 1,035 01-06-2023, 09:41 AM
Last Post: allvia
  Plan for Excelsior BS Liberal Arts JTPhoneHome 16 2,755 11-18-2022, 06:08 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Where to get Liberal Arts degree? NBM123 13 1,762 10-12-2022, 06:05 PM