Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is 7 months enough to study and pass these CLEP exams?
I know it depends on the person but I would like general advice. I have no science past I believe 10th grade high school BIO. If you have taken any of the tests below please share how long you studied for them and any other advice you can think of. I pretty much have zero background in all of these and some Micro. Thanks!

FEBRUARY:
Analyzing & Interpreting Lit
Humanities
Intro to Sociology

MARCH:
Principles of Management
Principles of Marketing

APRIL:
Social Science & History
Natural Science

MAY:
Biology

JULY:
American Govt
Western Civilization I

JULY:
US History I
US History II
I think your distribution looks good!
I took the Analyzing and Interpreting Lit and studied probably a month total. I used REA Analyzing & Interpreting Lit Book, Peterson's - free through DOD, and Instacert. I also studied some of the terms, but don't get hung up on those. I really stressed over this test, but did well considering I haven't been in school for MANY years.
TESU BSBA General Mgmt 6/10/16 Wink
TESU: TECEP Public Relations Thought & Practice - 82
Penn Foster: Financial Mgmt 94, International Business 97, Strategic Mgmt 98, Corporate Finance 99, Consumer Behavior 95, Human Resource Mgmt 99
Saylor: Business Law & Ethics 82, Corporate Communication 76, Principles of Marketing 72
Sophia: Intro to Sociology 90, Conflict Resolution 87, Project Mgmt 88
Straighterline: Principles of Mgmt 94, Organizational Behavior 88, American Government 92
The Institutes: Ethics and the CPU Code of Professional Conduct (free 2 CR)

COSC - Associate of Science Honors General Studies 2014
COSC - Cornerstone - A
Straighterline: Into to Religions A, Business Ethics B, West. Civ. I B, Intro to Env. Science B
CLEP: A&I Literature - 69
If I could take them over, I would probably take them in this order (with the amount of study time in parenthesis):

Analyzing & Interpreting Lit (0 weeks)
Intro to Sociology (1 week)
Principles of Marketing (1 week)
Principles of Management (1 week)
Biology (2 weeks)
Natural Sciences (2 weeks)
US History I (1 week)
US History II (1 week)
American Govt (1 week)
Social Science & History (1 week)
Western Civilization I (2 weeks)
Humanities (2 weeks)

I struggled with WC and Humanities, that's why I put them last. You could really put them anywhere in there if you are comfortable with the material.

The important things to note are:
Take Bio before NS
Take US I and US II before Am Gov, and Soc Sci will be a freebie after that.
TESU BSBA in General Management
CCAF AAS in Computer Science Technology

Resources used:  CLEP, DSST,
Penn Foster, Sophia, StraighterLine, TEEX, NFA, ALEKS, The Institutes
jmeitrem Wrote:If I could take them over, I would probably take them in this order (with the amount of study time in parenthesis):

Analyzing & Interpreting Lit (0 weeks)
Intro to Sociology (1 week)
Principles of Marketing (1 week)
Principles of Management (1 week)
Biology (2 weeks)
US History I (1 week)
US History II (1 week)
American Govt (1 week)
Social Science & History (1 week)
Western Civilization I (2 weeks)
Humanities (2 weeks)

I struggled with WC and Humanities, that's why I put them last. You could really put them anywhere in there if you are comfortable with the material.

The important things to note are:
Take Bio before NS
Take US I and US II before Am Gov, and Soc Sci will be a freebie after that.

OMG you are so amazing! This was the best help I could receive thank you so much!
I got to be honest, and this is just my view, and not to sound like a downer. If you need seven months to study for a CLEP for say “US History 1”. Then look into taking the class at a local regionally accredited community college. Most CC’s are anyone from 8 weeks to 18 weeks. Summer is usually like 4 or 8 weeks. Fall/Spring is 18 weeks depending on your college. Some community colleges like mine offer the course online in hybrid (partial) or full (full) online course. You’ll get regular course credit, and be able to have instructor assistant. I think CLEPS are more for people that know the subject to a college or pre-college level that they don’t need to take the course. Like someone that is a math whiz and doesn’t need to take College Algebra in college. So they just CLEP out to save a semester of class.

It’s like me with Intermediate Math. I’m not going to mess around trying to test out or take an online self pace course and spend five months doing so when I can take the class at my CC which is ten minutes away and cost the same amount as taking the CLEP test. I’m just going to do it this summer in a nine week course at the college like I did with Elementary Algebra years back. I already know which instructor to take, and what the class will be about as it’s for adults returning back to college, and in the end if I pass I get regular college credits.

Some courses we know enough about that we can study or re-study for a week or two and take the CLEP and pass. That would be me in say Intro to Theater or an English writing course. But some courses there’s no way I could pass even if I study on my own. At least in a class I know what’s coming on a test, quiz, report, and there’s extra credit and I can always file C/NP.

Don’t get me wrong. CLEP’s are awesome. But if you only have a 10th grade understanding of some sciences, and need seven months to study in hopes you pass, then I would strongly recommend taking the course. I took Astronomy 1 in community college, and it was like the only class I got a C in and I study like crazy, and liked Astronomy, but the course was designed for people wanting to major in Astrophysicist. The testing out exam would have been the same way.

CLEPS is not really for people that have zero background. The “intro to sociology” is something, yes, you can study on your own. But when you get into say “US History II” or “Natural Sciences” who knows what’s on the test, and if you have no knowledge of those topics, it’s best to probably just take the course and save yourself time in the end.
Yes, I think it's enough.

If you schedule the tests one out - it forces you to focus on studying.

The last month of my degree I took 5 tests in 4 weeks. I actually took my two ethics test back-to-back on the same day.

You really only need about a week for A&I - get the REA book take the sample test - then (IMPORTANT) look at the answer pages where they explain why some were right and some were wrong. With this test, it's intuitive, requires reading slowly, and (IMPORTANT) know what the test is looking for in answers.
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

jmeitrem Wrote:Biology (2 weeks)
My view is that all CLEPs are essentially pretty easy (compared to an equivalent course final) but I think there's no way someone without at least a high school science background could pass Bio and Nat Sci in a month, let alone learn enough to lay a foundation for college Chem or UL Bio courses.
CPA (WA), CFA Level III Candidate

Currently pursuing: ALM, Data Science - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA (12/48, on hold for CFA/life commitments)
MBA, Finance/Accounting - Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2015
BSBA, General Management - Thomas Edison State College, Trenton, NJ, 2012

Christopher Wrote:I got to be honest, and this is just my view, and not to sound like a downer. If you need seven months to study for a CLEP for say “US History 1”...

Pretty sure OP wasn't saying they need 7 months to study for US History I. Looks like they were asking if the plan they had fragged out for studying for different tests each month was realistic or if we had any suggestions to tweak it.

And as far as 'take a CC class instead', there are a lot of people who can study for something in the free time they have and then take a test who can't necessarily fit in a guaranteed block of time 2-3 times a week for their local CC classes.
hightecrebel Wrote:And as far as 'take a CC class instead', there are a lot of people who can study for something in the free time they have and then take a test who can't necessarily fit in a guaranteed block of time 2-3 times a week for their local CC classes.
For soft subjects like Intro to Psych or low-level business courses, I think CLEPs are the way to go. For more substantial exams like Calculus or Chemistry, I think you could get learn much more from a CC course with much less effort. I understand that people have busy lives, but sometimes the traditional way is the best way.
CPA (WA), CFA Level III Candidate

Currently pursuing: ALM, Data Science - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA (12/48, on hold for CFA/life commitments)
MBA, Finance/Accounting - Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2015
BSBA, General Management - Thomas Edison State College, Trenton, NJ, 2012

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seeking interviewees with non-accredited/non-traditional degrees for Ohio State Study mitchell1857 0 167 09-10-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: mitchell1857
  Large study of over 10,000 participants showed the top 5 careers for millionaires LevelUP 7 518 08-31-2024, 12:53 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  PMP practice quizzes or exams Kjnova 5 498 08-18-2024, 08:45 AM
Last Post: Kjnova
  Taking exams for online courses stats-time 4 393 08-04-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Decide your path of study... bjcheung77 2 266 07-25-2024, 02:11 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 8 1,888 05-18-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Spyrine
  DSST practice Exams for BUS LAW II? doloresramirez 6 516 05-06-2024, 02:38 AM
Last Post: doloresramirez
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 854 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How to Study Deetzin 3 476 03-12-2024, 02:43 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 1,143 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer