Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Large study of over 10,000 participants showed the top 5 careers for millionaires
Top findings
  • The top five careers for millionaires include engineer, accountant, teacher, management and attorney

• Only 31% averaged $100,000 a year over the course of their career

• 88% graduated college

• 52% of the millionaires earned a master’s or doctoral degree
Interestingly, teachers were the millionaires. I wonder why that is?
Doctors earn a lot but are bad at saving money and likely have large college debt.

The National Study of Millionaires
https://www.ramseysolutions.com/retireme...s-research
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
There are several reasons why these professions are more represented among millionaires.

Student loan debt - medical school is expensive

Numbers - there are 3X more teachers than physicians

Income - engineers have high incomes, but they only need a bachelor's degree

Financial literacy - accountant is self-explanatory

Retirement benefits - many people become millionaires via their retirement plans. Government agencies tend to offer better retirement benefits than most private sector employers.

One article on this study theorized that it's about personality. In most of these professions, everything is black or white, right or wrong. This makes them anal about tracking their finances.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • LevelUP
It's sort of interesting, but naturally I'm having some contrarian thoughts:

*Being a millionaire isn't what it used to be. It's worth maybe half as much as it was back when books like The Millionaire Next Door were coming out. Anyone with the capacity to invest in their retirement (that is, they have a source of income that covers more than basic needs) should aim to be a millionaire at minimum by the time they retire.

*The study talks about the most common professions among millionaires, which makes sense for David Ramsey's purposes. He wants to normalize having a lot of savings. But it's not actually that helpful for figuring out which career path is most likely to get you to millionaire status. For that, one would want to know the percentage of millionaires per occupation, and the information would somehow need to be divided up or standardized based on age, because someone who is 65 is much more likely to be a millionaire than someone who's 25 in the same career with the same pay and the same retirement benefits.
[-] The following 1 user Likes wow's post:
  • LevelUP
This is a heavily flawed study. It doesn’t even list the methodology, so we have no idea how it was conducted.

Dave Ramsey makes money peddling his financial advice and has a strong vested interest in promoting the same conclusions his institute reached with this survey.

You should always question reports like this.
-
Joe
(08-28-2024, 03:49 PM)NotJoeBiden Wrote: This is a heavily flawed study. It doesn’t even list the methodology, so we have no idea how it was conducted.

Dave Ramsey makes money peddling his financial advice and has a strong vested interest in promoting the same conclusions his institute reached with this survey.

True, but Dave Ramsey is known for bringing people on his show who have high college debt, which one could argue doesn't promote attending college.

The study shows that a college degree strongly correlates with higher income, ultimately making it easier to become a millionaire.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(08-28-2024, 03:49 PM)NotJoeBiden Wrote: This is a heavily flawed study. It doesn’t even list the methodology, so we have no idea how it was conducted.

True, but other studies have found that an overwhelming majority of billionaires have college degrees and that most millionaires become millionaires by saving and investing. In the federal government, there's a term called "TSP millionaire." TSP is a 401k-like retirement account.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
> Interestingly, teachers were the millionaires. I wonder why that is?

depends on what a "teacher" is

went to law school, became an attorney, practiced for 20 years, now a professor at a law school

is that person a teacher ?
yeah
is that how they made their millions ?
probably not
An article from yesterday on there being more 401k millionaires.

https://www.fox13news.com/news/401k-mill...es-us-more
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seeking interviewees with non-accredited/non-traditional degrees for Ohio State Study mitchell1857 0 102 09-10-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: mitchell1857
  Decide your path of study... bjcheung77 2 233 07-25-2024, 02:11 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 790 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How to Study Deetzin 3 447 03-12-2024, 02:43 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 1,128 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  Major Study: Unproctored Online Exams Provide Meaningful Assessment Jonathan Whatley 0 535 11-16-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Study.com for World History TECEP bannerfield 4 1,264 09-27-2023, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Question about BYU Independent Study Amberlinjeanne 4 1,803 09-05-2023, 06:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  No study.com any more, and take crash course on coppersmith? qiaoyiren 10 2,604 04-12-2023, 09:59 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Crash Course's Study Hall quigongene 4 1,128 01-25-2023, 04:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore