Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Finishing BA Psych degree plan
Hello! A little over two months ago I posted this thread asking for info on the best path to get to an LMSW. I got a lot of great advice and finally started working on my degree plan towards a BA in psychology with a human services minor. I'm confused about the general education requirements and choosing electives. It says on UMPI's website: "Select general electives to bring total earned hours to 120." 

Here's the link to my degree plan. I've looked at a few other degree plans which has helped a lot. I don't know if I'm just way over-thinking it but this is what's confusing me: "Fulfilling the GEC: To complete the GEC, select at least one course for each objective. Several courses meet more than one objective, but a minimum of 40 distinct hours in the GEC is required."

I'm pretty sure I chose the correct classes to fufill the GLO requirement so now do I just choose classes to fulfill the remainder of the general elective requirement to get me to 120 credits? 

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Also posting this from my original thread for more info!

Your location: Michigan, United States
Your age: 36
What kind of degree do you want?: Master of Social Work/LMSW
Current regional accredited credits: 0
Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS credits: 0

Any certifications/military experience?: no

Budget: Ideally as inexpensive as possible. I'm really committed to making a career change so price/student loan debt isn't super on my radar

Commitments: One preschooler and my spouse. I work two days a week and my spouse is able to work from home when needed

Dedicated time to study: 20-30 hours per week

Timeline: As quickly as possible, preferably >5 years

Tuition assistance/reimbursement: Pell Grant/unsubsidized loans
Basically, you may want to review your previous thread for more info on how to proceed further and review what was mentioned as possible options for you: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...o-MSW-LMSW
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Yes, you've fulfilled the specific requirements objective-wise, so you just need to choose electives to hit the 120 credits for your degree.
Current Goal:
UMPI: B.L.S. with minors in English and Educational Studies

I'm 65% through my degree!

Earned:  84 credits total
RA: 3 credits
Sophia: 75 credits
Study.com: 6 credits

CLEP: 9 in progress...
UMPI: 6 in progress...
[-] The following 1 user Likes RachelB's post:
  • bonjourcat
(06-09-2024, 09:52 PM)bonjourcat Wrote: Hello! A little over two months ago I posted this thread asking for info on the best path to get to an LMSW. I got a lot of great advice and finally started working on my degree plan towards a BA in psychology with a human services minor. I'm confused about the general education requirements and choosing electives. It says on UMPI's website: "Select general electives to bring total earned hours to 120." 

Here's the link to my degree plan. I've looked at a few other degree plans which has helped a lot. I don't know if I'm just way over-thinking it but this is what's confusing me: "Fulfilling the GEC: To complete the GEC, select at least one course for each objective. Several courses meet more than one objective, but a minimum of 40 distinct hours in the GEC is required."

I'm pretty sure I chose the correct classes to fufill the GLO requirement so now do I just choose classes to fulfill the remainder of the general elective requirement to get me to 120 credits? 

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Also posting this from my original thread for more info!

Budget: Ideally as inexpensive as possible. I'm really committed to making a career change so price/student loan debt isn't super on my radar

Commitments: One preschooler and my spouse. I work two days a week and my spouse is able to work from home when needed

I just completed all of these psych classes this session. Let me know if you have any questions
[-] The following 2 users Like mattbau43's post:
  • allvia, bonjourcat
(06-09-2024, 11:23 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Basically, you may want to review your previous thread for more info on how to proceed further and review what was mentioned as possible options for you: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...o-MSW-LMSW

Sorry if my post wasn't clear -- I'm trying to determine if I've chosen the correct classes to meet the GEC requirements and then beyond that if I can just choose any other classes to meet the elective requirement! I'm planning on starting Sophia/SDC as soon as I finish my degree plan and check it for errors/feedback and enrolling at UMPI this fall.

(06-10-2024, 04:49 AM)RachelB Wrote: Yes, you've fulfilled the specific requirements objective-wise, so you just need to choose electives to hit the 120 credits for your degree.

Yes thank you so much!! I thought so too but I wanted to double check in case I overlooked something. Actually I think I used your degree plan template which made things a lot easier for me so thank you again!
[-] The following 1 user Likes bonjourcat's post:
  • RachelB
For 2D, doing Visual Communications on Sophia is the quickest option.

The 4A Orientation course counts as 0 credits, not 2.

For 5A, do Introduction to Sociology on Sophia.

GE UPMI Wiki
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...ts_Roadmap

You can't do a Human Services Minor because those are not YourPace courses.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • bonjourcat
(06-10-2024, 11:02 AM)LevelUP Wrote: For 2D, doing Visual Communications on Sophia is the quickest option.

GE UPMI Wiki

Unless you have all the Human Services minor classes transferred in, yeah... It's going to be one of those minors you can't do... I also second that Gen Eds WIKI for UMPI. Exactly what I mentioned here for another member: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid421126
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • bonjourcat
(06-10-2024, 11:02 AM)LevelUP Wrote: For 2D, doing Visual Communications on Sophia is the quickest option.

GE UPMI Wiki

I totally missed that Human Services isn't offered on YourPace, good catch thank you. Another poster mentioned it on my other thread and after looking at Wayne State's MSW program it looks like I'd be taking a lot of similar classes anyway. 

re: 2D I don't see the UMPI equivalent course of COM-XXX listed on UMPI's website even though it's on the wiki that Jessica can manually adjust things.

re: 4A On the UMPI website it lists the course as counting for credits so if I do them at UMPI do I still get the credits? Or is there a Sophia/SDC equivalent or another course that counts for 4A that I missed on the wiki? I do see on the wiki it says 0 credits for a 1-2 hour orientation. 

re: 5A Added! Now I just need one lone credit to fulfill the GEC before moving onto electives. Plan updated here.

Also as far as the biology lab is it pretty obvious where or how to take that on Sophia.com? Thank you so much for all of your help!

(06-10-2024, 11:54 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote:

GE UPMI Wiki

Unless you have all the Human Services minor classes transferred in, yeah... It's going to be one of those minors you can't do...  I also second that Gen Eds WIKI for UMPI.  Exactly what I mentioned here for another member: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid421126

I've been cross referencing the UMPI GEC roadmap, Sophia.org equivalency list, and UMPI Sophia transfer equivalents. I did totally miss that Human Services isn't part of YourPace though so thank you for catching that! I'm not super bummed to be honest since I don't plan on stopping at just a bachelor's.
It is recommended you take everything you can through Sophia (before any other provider); for lowest cost, ease, and speed. All this is on the Wiki link page - https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...ts_Roadmap
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • bonjourcat
(06-10-2024, 08:24 AM)mattbau43 Wrote:
(06-09-2024, 09:52 PM)bonjourcat Wrote: Hello! A little over two months ago I posted this thread asking for info on the best path to get to an LMSW. I got a lot of great advice and finally started working on my degree plan towards a BA in psychology with a human services minor. I'm confused about the general education requirements and choosing electives. It says on UMPI's website: "Select general electives to bring total earned hours to 120." 

I just completed all of these psych classes this session. Let me know if you have any questions

I will be 100% reaching out with questions, thank you!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI Admission Requirements/Plan. svnkid 5 172 Yesterday, 02:56 PM
Last Post: svnkid
  BLS Degree Complete- Big Thank You!! dm.hans32 3 150 10-15-2024, 07:41 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Long Time Lurker, First Time Poster...Personal Plan & Progress wkshasta 16 717 10-12-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: klone
  UMPI Accounting Assistance - Degree Plan NewbieLearner 17 1,248 10-10-2024, 11:47 AM
Last Post: NewbieLearner
Question New Here & Would Appreciate Advice In Degree Planning Aardvarks_n_scotties 6 345 10-07-2024, 01:52 PM
Last Post: Hackingat40
  UMPI Plan and Progress AirborneAgent 26 2,230 09-27-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Seeking Academic Writing Resources for UMPI BAS Degree garveymoshe 2 233 09-11-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Non-Degree Enrollment PreLawCoastie 4 793 08-26-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: Kjnova
  BLS Minor in Management Plan mohelena02 5 478 08-25-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Does spain/EU accept UMPI degree? Solden81 16 1,810 08-01-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: MrPanda