Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Filling out the BACS AOS
My transcripts have all come in, but my evaluation isn't officially finished.  As far as I can tell, they've evaluated all the transfer equivalencies, but the one thing they haven't done yet is waive GE for having a previous bachelors (doesn't show my bach on the eval page yet either).

So everything isn't coming in exactly as I'd hoped.  I have two upper level stats classes in my Addt'l AOS, but that doesn't seem to be freeing up LL electives in the AOS.  I thought my COS-101 (RA Transfer credit) would slide in as an elective but it hasn't, and I also have another course that came in as CAP-123 that doesn't slot into the elective spot.  Do my UL classes have to be in the AOS and not addt'l AOS? Is it just the courses I thought could be electives don't fit the bill for LL electives? Should I just be patient and wait for the eval to finish? Talk to an advisor after? 

My data science course also came in as POS-499.  It is "Data Science for Public Policy", and was very methods heavy.  The public policy was just the application cases we looked at, although the course looked at business examples as well to understand the process (course final project was in one of three public policy areas though).  The focus was Machine Learning in R.  I have thoughts about appealing this to try to get something that slides into my AOS, but my guess is the best I can do is get it to a DSI course which I don't even know if it would slide in as an elective. I guess an advisor is probably the way to go on this as well?  I'm just impatient and want to be able to finish planning the rest of my degree now (the second I applied really).
I would wait until the evaluations are done. Once they are, take screenshots without your personal information (I suggest using the Fireshot browser extension) and share them here. Then we can get a better idea of what's what.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • carrythenothing, gams007
You can always appeal a course placement or equivalency - just get the syllabus from your course, and submit it to TESU and ask that they change the course equivalency. They may or may not, but I believe it's a pretty fair process and they will look closely at it.

I had also heard that the "Other Electives" section doesn't count for UL (I mean something can come in as UL, but it's not going to count towards your 18cr required in the AoS). Please report back if you can confirm or deny this, as it's really important to know this.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
For a second bachelor's degree, both the general education and free electives will be waived. You'll only need the 42 credits in the area of study (15 UL between the core classes, AOS electives, and additional AOS electives) and the 3-credit capstone.
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
@spohara, I really wonder if this would work or not, if TESU accepts "the max from the transfers" or not... Could you list the courses you have planned and the required courses side by side in a spreadsheet or something so we can review it? I am really interested to see how different your plan is compared the the regular recommendations on the Wiki!
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(09-07-2022, 04:09 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @spohara, I really wonder if this would work or not, if TESU accepts "the max from the transfers" or not... Could you list the courses you have planned and the required courses side by side in a spreadsheet or something so we can review it?  I am really interested to see how different your plan is compared the the regular recommendations on the Wiki!

This is basically what my eval looks like now, plus a whole bunch of completely irrelevant poli sci and gen-ed courses.  TESU has finally taken away my gen-ed requirement, but I still haven't gotten word that my eval is actually complete.  Both of the grad courses not used were coded as poli sci, the degree program was called "Government Analytics", so it was coded under government, but it was data science.  Both courses that didn't count were based on R. 

But it is looking like the division between 'group 1' and 'group 2' electives is firm - group 1 is 4 uppers, group 2 is 4 lowers.  And for some reason 2 additional courses makes the degree seem all the less obtainable.  I'm absolutely struggling through architecture on SDC right now, despite having been an electronics technician at one point reverse engineering basic circuits. CH5 and 6 are crushing my soul.

Attached Files
.png   TESU Eval.png (Size: 273.44 KB / Downloads: 49)
(09-07-2022, 05:09 PM)spohara Wrote: Both of the grad courses not used were coded as poli sci, the degree program was called "Government Analytics", so it was coded under government, but it was data science.  Both courses that didn't count were based on R.

Send them the syllabi.

Edit: You should also get an exception for excess credit in the calculus I requirement. I'd actually wait until they tell you the evaluation is complete before doing anything.
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
[-] The following 1 user Likes carrythenothing's post:
  • spohara
Small update.  They notified me of the Eval being done, no change from the image I posted.  There is an exception for the calc named at the top - but it seems that the exception just requires me to have 46 credits (says 46 required now instead of 45).  Presumably this is because I already have 6 LL elective credits and everything else is required?

At any rate, I have an advising appointment next Fri, so I guess I'll maybe get some more clarification.  To me it looks like it is a fixed 12hrs upper level CS AOS electives - the additional AOS doesn't count toward the 18 UL req.  But perhaps there is another explanation, or just an error on how it is automatically processed.
(09-10-2022, 11:42 AM)spohara Wrote: Small update.  They notified me of the Eval being done, no change from the image I posted.  There is an exception for the calc named at the top - but it seems that the exception just requires me to have 46 credits (says 46 required now instead of 45).  Presumably this is because I already have 6 LL elective credits and everything else is required?

At any rate, I have an advising appointment next Fri, so I guess I'll maybe get some more clarification.  To me it looks like it is a fixed 12hrs upper level CS AOS electives - the additional AOS doesn't count toward the 18 UL req.  But perhaps there is another explanation, or just an error on how it is automatically processed.

I can jump into this one. I specifically asked them if  "H: Add'l AOS Elect 6SH “is part of the AOS upper-level credits for the 2nd degree back in April because I have a upper level statics, and this was the reply, 
" the total upper-level credits needed is 18.  PSY-325(the upper level statics course I have in the additional AOS area)  and LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone will count as 6 of the 18 upper-level credits needed. "
In Progress
Georgia Tech OMSCS Cool
Enrolled: 01/2024 (2 down, 8 to go!)
Completed
TESU BA Computer Science & ASNSM Mathematics
Conferred: 09/2023
Excelsior University BS Psychology 
Conferred: 02/2023

(09-10-2022, 04:09 PM)frankc Wrote:
(09-10-2022, 11:42 AM)spohara Wrote: Small update.  They notified me of the Eval being done, no change from the image I posted.  There is an exception for the calc named at the top - but it seems that the exception just requires me to have 46 credits (says 46 required now instead of 45).  Presumably this is because I already have 6 LL elective credits and everything else is required?

I can jump into this one. I specifically asked them if  "H: Add'l AOS Elect 6SH “is part of the AOS upper-level credits for the 2nd degree back in April because I have a upper level statics, and this was the reply, 
" the total upper-level credits needed is 18.  PSY-325(the upper level statics course I have in the additional AOS area)  and LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone will count as 6 of the 18 upper-level credits needed. "
Good info.  Now I just have to figure out why none of my LL courses seem to be slotting in.  Perhaps those specific ones just don't fit the degree plan (COS-101, CAP101, ITS-130, anything DSI)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Figuring out What I Have and What I am Missing for BACS & BS-CIS Double Degree nicecoolego 8 599 06-19-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  First Post, TESU BACS questions tcompy 13 1,331 05-14-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: tcompy
Smile BACS: COS-2050 Python Programming VS COS-4510 AI,which course is easier? Felisa 5 709 01-21-2024, 01:59 PM
Last Post: davewill
  BACS Plan Verification mrobel 4 624 01-18-2024, 12:49 PM
Last Post: davewill
  French international student questions about TESU BACS azuki 19 2,364 11-03-2023, 10:25 AM
  BACS/BSBA CIS - Transferring Credits MortySanchez 12 1,772 09-08-2023, 10:26 AM
Question My current degree plan for BACS, any suggestions elcastor21 7 1,029 08-28-2023, 12:33 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  TESU BACS & Dual BSBA CIS + Finance max transfer credits. CanICode 18 1,390 08-04-2023, 06:22 AM
Last Post: Pats20
  TESU BACS & BSBA CIS at the same time? CanICode 25 3,725 07-10-2023, 08:29 PM
  Suggestion for BACS advisor? poisonedapple 7 863 04-16-2023, 11:23 AM
Last Post: poisonedapple