Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FRE 101 OR SPA 101 at UMPI
Has anyone taken a language class at UMPI? If so, is it difficult? I'm trying to decide whether it's worth spending $99 on a membership at Sophia.
Do not take a language class at UMPI.

The language instructor is reported to be excessively harsh to students. Even if you "do well", this is a class that can take up a huge chunk of time. Way more than $100 worth of UMPI time.

Do not take languages at UMPI nor science. Take them at Sophia or else you'll, unfortunately, likely regret your decision.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • jch
(05-26-2023, 05:02 AM)MikeHez Wrote: Has anyone taken a language class at UMPI? If so, is it difficult? I'm trying to decide whether it's worth spending $99 on a membership at Sophia.

Do NOT take your language requirement at UMPI. I repeat do NOT take it at UMPI! Spend the $99 on Sophia and save your sanity. The professor at UMPI is offer her rocker. She accuses almost every student of cheating even though she gives you Spanish/English dictionaries to use. If you have any knowledge at all of the language she will accuse you of cheating repeatedly. Take it on Sophia. Best $99 you'll have ever spent. I speak from experience on the foreign language at UMPI. 

Have you completed the GEC? Had your transcripts evaluated at UMPI already? What do you have left to complete? You may be find another class or two on Sophia.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • jch
@MikeHez, just wondering, are you still going for the BA Accounting & BABA with a concentration double degree? Last I recall, you only needed 3 extra courses for the second major. Anyways, no... don't take anything at UMPI unless it can't be transferred in or unless it's an upper level course that can be used for the 30 credit residency. Take all gen eds/electives you have remaining at Sophia.org with that monthly membership...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • tomheany
(05-26-2023, 06:09 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Do not take a language class at UMPI.

The language instructor is reported to be excessively harsh to students. Even if you "do well", this is a class that can take up a huge chunk of time. Way more than $100 worth of UMPI time.

Do not take languages at UMPI nor science. Take them at Sophia or else you'll, unfortunately, likely regret your decision.

Thank you, saved me a lot of stress.

(05-26-2023, 09:04 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(05-26-2023, 05:02 AM)MikeHez Wrote: Has anyone taken a language class at UMPI? If so, is it difficult? I'm trying to decide whether it's worth spending $99 on a membership at Sophia.

Do NOT take your language requirement at UMPI. I repeat do NOT take it at UMPI! Spend the $99 on Sophia and save your sanity. The professor at UMPI is offer her rocker. She accuses almost every student of cheating even though she gives you Spanish/English dictionaries to use. If you have any knowledge at all of the language she will accuse you of cheating repeatedly. Take it on Sophia. Best $99 you'll have ever spent. I speak from experience on the foreign language at UMPI. 

Have you completed the GEC? Had your transcripts evaluated at UMPI already? What do you have left to complete? You may be find another class or two on Sophia.

Yes, I have finished my GEC requirements. I'm currently pursuing a double major in BA Accounting and BA Management & Leadership, with only two courses remaining: 469 Strategic Professional Communication and one second language course.

(05-26-2023, 10:08 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @MikeHez, just wondering, are you still going for the BA Accounting & BABA with a concentration double degree? Last I recall, you only needed 3 extra courses for the second major.  Anyways, no... don't take anything at UMPI unless it can't be transferred in or unless it's an upper level course that can be used for the 30 credit residency.  Take all gen eds/electives you have remaining at Sophia.org with that monthly membership...

Thanks. Yes, doing a double major in BA Accounting and BA Management & Leadership. Only have two courses remaining: 469 Strategic Professional Communication and one second language course. I took the ACTF - Speaking Proficiency in Igbo language but its showing up as credit for a second language.
@MikeHez, you're from Nigeria? I've a friend from there too! Congrats on getting the ACTFL done, did you receive ACE credits on it? I would email your academic advisor or Jessica, tell them you have the ACTFL but it's placed in the wrong area. I would highly recommend skipping another language such as Spanish and get credit for the Igbo if you can... Make sure you've got the ACE credit for it and speak with them or email them and state your case, you would like to use those credits instead of taking French or Spanish at UMPI. Great job, you're already there, one class remaining! Congrats again!
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-26-2023, 11:35 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @MikeHez, you're from Nigeria? I've a friend from there too!  Congrats on getting the ACTFL done, did you receive ACE credits on it? I would email your academic advisor or Jessica, tell them you have the ACTFL but it's placed in the wrong area.  I would highly recommend skipping another language such as Spanish and get credit for the Igbo if you can...  Make sure you've got the ACE credit for it and speak with them or email them and state your case, you would like to use those credits instead of taking French or Spanish at UMPI.  Great job, you're already there, one class remaining! Congrats again!

Yes, I am from Nigeria. It's great to hear that you have a friend from there as well! Thank you and regarding the ACE credit, I have emailed Jessica and hopefully it all goes well.
(05-26-2023, 11:04 AM)MikeHez Wrote: Thanks. Yes, doing a double major in BA Accounting and BA Management & Leadership. Only have two courses remaining: 469 Strategic Professional Communication and one second language course. I took the ACTF - Speaking Proficiency in Igbo language but its showing up as credit for a second language.

So you took an exam in a foreign language? I would have Jessica double check that. If you had the transcripts submitted to UMPI, then you should have met this requirement. BUS469 is not available outside of UMPI.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Update on My Journey to UMPI BAS and MAOL Hackingat40 5 393 2 hours ago
Last Post: ss20ts
  Credit evaluation from UMPI lynnii2 5 494 7 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI Assignment for Review kakasahib 8 849 Yesterday, 09:03 PM
Last Post: thomasfrank
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 125 91,676 Yesterday, 05:54 PM
Last Post: psychcs
  Denied Admission to UMPI doctorTorres 15 688 09-17-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  BA History at UMPI course requirements majic29 9 713 09-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  UMPI English Composition I Old Guy 4 238 09-15-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: RJ77
Information UMPI Cost Increase to $1700 Per 8 Week Session Ares 0 229 09-14-2024, 05:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  NEW UMPI UNDERGRADS -- USE THE DRAFTS ashkir 35 18,586 09-13-2024, 11:01 AM
Last Post: DavidGood
  How to send Duolingo results to UMPI Solden81 4 298 09-12-2024, 08:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77