Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
English Comp Essay Help!
I do a lot of writing and proofreading/editing at work (and I passed the English Comp with Essay a while back!) I do not think you did a bad job, honestly. However, since you are asking for feedback to improve your future performances, my personal suggestions would be as follows:

1st paragraph
1. Introduce your subject with a statement something along the lines of "There is a significant amount of debate surrounding the issue of whether or not to assign ratings to movies and TV shows." This gives the reader/grader an idea of what your topic is without a wooden introductory sentence like "I am going to discuss the rating of movies and TV shows."

2. I'd add another generic sentence or two to this paragraph stating what ratings are and their general use, "Ratings of movies are used to categorize movies into ..." and, "More recently, the rating of TV shows has become a reality as more shows include more violent and graphic story lines to hook viewers..."

2nd paragraph
1. Then give 1-3 sentences concisely stating the positions of each side (pro and con). For example, pro: "Those who advocate the use of ratings believe that the ratings serve as an unbiased categorization of appropriateness for age groups and family situations." and con: "Those who are anti-ratings hold that the ratings system is outdated, over-conservative, or blah blah." I might even stick a sentence in there about the "undecideds" (there are definitely undecideds in every topic), and say "Still others count themselves somewhere in between, seeing the possible value of ratings while not necessarily regarding the current system as effective."

3nd paragraph
1. Here is where, regardless of your position on the issue, I'd use this paragraph and the next to count yourself as one of the "undecideds". (Key thing to remember: they do not really care about your opinion on the matter. What they are looking for is your ability to craft a comprehensible, well-spelled, well-structured written argument.) Open this paragraph with, "Having looked at both sides of the argument, I count myself among the 'undecided' group."
2. Then state the negatives (the con argument) in this paragraph for 3-5 sentences.

4rd paragraph
1. Open with something like "Conversely, I also see..." or "However, there are merits to the argument that..." and then proceed to state the positives (the pro argument) in this paragraph for 3-5 sentences.

5th paragraph
1. Re-state a little of each of the first four paragraphs. Example, "So, while the pro-ratings camp deems ratings a necessary part of an individual's entertainment choices, those on the other side of the issue...." and then add a sentence or two about your "undecided" position in conclusion.

A few things to take note of:

1. DO NOT USE CONTRACTIONS (don't, you're, it's). It is more acceptable to use them colloquially now than it was about 10 years ago, but you cannot be sure that your grader will be accepting of that. It would be best to err on the side of caution and always spell everything out.

2. Try to think of ways to not come across so colloquial. For example, in your first paragraph, you say, "When you look online to check out what movie is showing down at the theater what do you see?" I might amend that to sound less like you are talking to a buddy, and maybe have it read "When browsing on the Internet to find the movies that are playing at the local theater, what do you see?"

3. Since many of the topics they propose on these types of exams are opinion pieces, make sure you know several different synonyms for "believe" or "think". You'll be using that term a lot, and you do not want to have it read, "Others think..." and "However, I think..." and "The majority think..." Instead, it impresses your grader if you have a wide variety of synonyms to spice up your piece. So, break out the thesaurus and make sure you have a good base of 4-6 words that you can use: believe, think, postulate, theorize, feel, hold, regard, view, etc.

I hope this helps! Sorry this is so lengthy... Rolleyes

MC
Working towards a BA in Business Administration at AMU

Tests Taken:
CLEP Humanities (2002) - passed
CLEP English w/Composition (2002) - passed
CLEP Biology (2005) - passed w/ a 56
CLEP US History I (2006) - passed w/ a 66
CLEP US History II (2009) - passed w/ a 71
CLEP English Literature (2009) - passed w/ a 69
CLEP Introductory Psychology (2009) - passed w/ a 66
DANTES Human Resource Management (2009) - passed w/ a 70
DANTES Organizational Behavior (2009) - passed w/ a 70
CLEP Macroeconomics (2009) - passed w/ a 66
CLEP Microeconomics (2009) - passed w/ a 62

[SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Done with testing as of July 2009, now on to coursework![/SIZE][/SIZE] :o
Wow! Thanks for the Feedback MCunningham, it was a lot but all of it was helpful!
[SIZE="4"]Nick[/SIZE]

CC:
Principles of Macroeconomics
Principles of Microeconomics
Music Fundamentals
Computer Literacy

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Taken:
English Composition w/ Essay CLEP 57
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature CLEP 65
Introductory Psychology CLEP 57
Western Civilization I CLEP 55[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Studying for:
Principles of Management
American Government
The main thing is to be able to write something about practically anything....there's no telling what you may be asked to write about. Even if it is the most BORING topic in the world, try to act as if you are passionate about your subject. Remember your intro, two or three points, and conclusion.

This may be obvious, but, make sure to use sound logic - I would venture to say that your argument is definitely the most important thing. If you have a weak argument, then no matter how polished your composition is, you won't get a high score. Test graders would rather see strong logic than flawless punctuation, spelling, capitalization, etc.

On my English Comp exam, I was assigned a very bizarre topic that stumped me for several minutes. Fortunately, in preparation for the test, I had practiced writing several essays about random subjects to prepare for the exam. Just humor the graders! Big Grin

Hope this helps!

P.S. I haven't read your sample essay yet...
-Andrew T.
[SIZE="1"]
Finished: 120 credits! [BSBA Thomas Edison State College] See my degree plan here.
[/SIZE]
Now Available for Amazon Kindle: How to Test Out of Your First Year of College (And More)
MCunningham Wrote:3nd paragraph
1. Here is where, regardless of your position on the issue, I'd use this paragraph and the next to count yourself as one of the "undecideds". (Key thing to remember: they do not really care about your opinion on the matter. What they are looking for is your ability to craft a comprehensible, well-spelled, well-structured written argument.) Open this paragraph with, "Having looked at both sides of the argument, I count myself among the 'undecided' group."

Wait, I thought you were supposed to persuade them. Are we supposed to show both sides of the issue?
Kyle
TESC Liberal Studies BA - 2011
New Charter University MPA - 2012
Georgetown University School of Law - 2016

BA in Liberal Studies - Degree Outline|

Galations 6:9 - "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."
I got my score back from the English Comp test. Believe it or not I got a 50 and needed a 50.

Like everybody said 5 paragraphs and make sure to check you spelling. Time was an issue for me I had less then one minute left before time ran out and that was without reviewing my essay.

Make sure you are up to date on the reference process.

Good luck with your test.
c_pastorius Wrote:Make sure you are up to date on the reference process.

Hi,

I am hopefully taking this test next week and was just wondering what you meant by "reference process"?

Thanks!
Principles of Accounting I - B&M
Principles of Accounting II - B&M
Intermediate Accounting I - B&M
Macro Economics - B&M
Computer Concepts & Applications - B&M
Computer Business Applications - B&M
Computerized Accounting - B&M
Language (12 credits) - NYU
Business Law - DSST
Principles of Management - CLEP
Intro to Marketing - CLEP
Fraud Examination - LSU
Business Communication - Clovis Community College
Database Design - Clovis Community College
[SIZE=1]EMT-B NJ (4 credits)
FEMA (8 credits)

[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Freshman College Comp w/essay mom2school 13 2,768 09-14-2024, 07:37 AM
Last Post: upgradelately
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 18 2,035 08-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: wow
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 8 1,824 05-18-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Spyrine
  Which essay sounds better? ChatGPT A or a Paraphrased version B? bjcheung77 5 999 08-13-2023, 02:47 PM
Last Post: davewill
  77 Online credit courses in English from Germany - from €16/ECTS FrHaseKopf 19 8,072 04-22-2023, 01:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Comp 2 umpi yourpace Mike Williams 3 853 01-01-2023, 09:57 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Saudi Scholarship: No funding for English studies bjcheung77 2 906 12-13-2022, 08:43 AM
Last Post: Fewind
  English 2 Jennr2z 2 726 05-28-2022, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Jennr2z
  What the New York Times College Cancel Culture Essay Gets Wrong About Censorship LevelUP 2 888 03-11-2022, 10:52 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  English degrees besides TESU, UMPI? Ideas 1 981 12-13-2021, 10:00 PM
Last Post: dfrecore