Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Employers and busy students?
Would employers think negatively about someone who already has a Bachelors (and Assoc) and is working on 2 more degrees at once? Masters and 2nd Bachelors, or 2 Masters. Is it better to hide the 2nd in-progress degree?

I feel they would ask too many questions and think I was too busy/distracted. If both are part-time, they might also think that I'll take a long time to finish. 

In my case, the bachelors in-progress would be in the same field (Comp Sci). I believe having the partly-done degree is better than nothing, although others said they wouldn't consider it as a recruiter. I don't know if I can land the job unless I mention that I'm a CS student.

Doesn't it look slightly good to have a Masters in progress?

I don't know why they would it would be a negative. In general, busy people make good workers in my book, so I would list all the degrees you're working on.. As far as considering your in progress CS degree, it's done all the time for intern level positions.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Ideas
If you're enrolled, put it on your resume as in progress. If you're DIYing on your own and haven't applied/enrolled yet, leave it off.

I realize this is a question of preference, but in my opinion, it is good to list it because it can help qualify you for some jobs, and for employers that look negatively on education - they won't even bother calling you for an interview (doing you a favor). If you think your education section looks too heavy when compared with your experience section, leave off your AA.

(10-24-2017, 10:57 PM)Ideas Wrote: Would employers think negatively about someone who already has a Bachelors (and Assoc) and is working on 2 more degrees at once? Masters and 2nd Bachelors, or 2 Masters. Is it better to hide the 2nd in-progress degree?

I feel they would ask too many questions and think I was too busy/distracted. If both are part-time, they might also think that I'll take a long time to finish. 

In my case, the bachelors in-progress would be in the same field (Comp Sci). I believe having the partly-done degree is better than nothing, although others said they wouldn't consider it as a recruiter. I don't know if I can land the job unless I mention that I'm a CS student.

Doesn't it look slightly good to have a Masters in progress?
I don't know why you would put that you were in the process of getting additional degrees, if you already have one they're looking for; and I wouldn't even list all of the degrees that I had if I had my BA/BS. Once I finish my BSBA, I won't be updating my resume with the BOG AAS, since it will be completely irrelevant. I won't list my Undergrad Certificate in Management either, since it will be moot at that point as well.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Life Long Learning
(10-28-2017, 11:46 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I don't know why you would put that you were in the process of getting additional degrees, if you already have one they're looking for; and I wouldn't even list all of the degrees that I had if I had my BA/BS.  Once I finish my BSBA, I won't be updating my resume with the BOG AAS, since it will be completely irrelevant.  I won't list my Undergrad Certificate in Management either, since it will be moot at that point as well.

I don't already have the one they're looking for Sad They want a CS degree ideally, but CIS is usually enough to get your resume put in their second pile. I would have BSBA and be working on my CS degree. (BSBA without CIS concentration.) 

But I would also be working on a Masters, and they might think I would be a bad FT employee if I'm also working on 2 degrees PT. So I was thinking about leaving out the Masters. If I'm applying for a PT job, I still might want to leave out the Masters.

Also there is a different job where I am not sure about saying I'm working on 2 degrees.

Tailor the resume to the job and leave off the BS.  

Case in point: I leave off an AGS (none of their business), but keep the AAS in EM as its one of my additional duties.  I would leave in a community college Certificate in LEAN/Six Sigma as most BS in Business degrees do not have that specific knowledge/skill.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 1 user Likes Life Long Learning's post:
  • a2jc4life
That's why I said I would put the ones that are relevant.  If you have a BSBA in CIS, then it's the most relevant to the job you're looking at.  "Working on" your CS might be relevant if you're actually taking courses in the major, and can show that you've passed those courses.  I might even just list the major-related credits/courses that I had towards that degree.

I would leave off the "working on a masters" if it was not relevant to what they were asking for.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • a2jc4life
(10-29-2017, 12:23 AM)dfrecore Wrote: That's why I said I would put the ones that are relevant.  If you have a BSBA in CIS, then it's the most relevant to the job you're looking at.  "Working on" your CS might be relevant if you're actually taking courses in the major, and can show that you've passed those courses.  I might even just list the major-related credits/courses that I had towards that degree.

I would leave off the "working on a masters" if it was not relevant to what they were asking for.

No, my BSBA isn't CIS. So I have no degree relevant to the job. I don't expect to get the job, but I thought if I had BSBA and CS degree in progress, maybe I wouldn't have my resume in the trash right away. Thanks, I will leave off the Masters.

(10-29-2017, 12:10 AM)Life Long Learning Wrote: Tailor the resume to the job and leave off the BS.  

Case in point: I leave off an AGS (none of their business), but keep the AAS in EM as its one of my additional duties.  I would leave in a community college Certificate in LEAN/Six Sigma as most BS in Business degrees do not have that specific knowledge/skill.

I don't think I can leave that off. If I leave it off, I appear as a high school graduate who is working on my CS degree. It seems better to be a college graduate (who did a business degree) who is going back for a CS degree. Unless you mean leave off the CS degree, but then it's seems like a business graduate who is trying to get into a new field with hardly anything.

I guess I'm confused.  I thought you mentioned a BSBA in CIS.  Are you saying you don't have a BSBA in CIS, but you're hoping they will think you have that?
And I guess I'm confused as to why you're applying for jobs that you're not qualified for?  If you hope to be qualified in the future, then I would just wait to apply until you have the qualifications that they're looking for.  HR people aren't complete idiots most of the time, if you don't have what they're looking for, they won't give you credit for "working on" a degree that you may or may not get in the future.  They want to know what you have RIGHT NOW.
I think you're making this all way more complicated than it needs to be.
(10-29-2017, 01:30 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I guess I'm confused.  I thought you mentioned a BSBA in CIS.  Are you saying you don't have a BSBA in CIS, but you're hoping they will think you have that?
And I guess I'm confused as to why you're applying for jobs that you're not qualified for?  If you hope to be qualified in the future, then I would just wait to apply until you have the qualifications that they're looking for.  HR people aren't complete idiots most of the time, if you don't have what they're looking for, they won't give you credit for "working on" a degree that you may or may not get in the future.  They want to know what you have RIGHT NOW.
I think you're making this all way more complicated than it needs to be.

I said "BSBA without CIS" in the earlier post. No I am not hoping they would think I have it. I know the degree is not relevant. I was mentioning in this thread to show that the CS degree in progress was kind of important, since it is the only relevant schooling I would have.

I am very qualified to do the job, but looking at my resume I believe they will have doubts that I'm qualified. I think I want to try to apply, with the degree in progress, because this is only a stepping stone job. I want this job so that in a year, then I can apply to the real job I want, when the degree is done. I need some other relevant job experience (to add to my current experience which doesn't look as good), so I can get the real job I want. 

For the stepping stone job, I know there is a good chance I would get bypassed for someone who appears better on paper. I doubt they would do the job as well as I would, but I can't do much besides try, I guess.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb ASU to Launch a Free Global Initiative and enroll 100 million students MNomadic 216 38,446 08-04-2024, 12:57 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,345 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  A new program in Colorado recognizes students who didn’t complete their bachelor’s de davewill 4 706 07-06-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Older teacher gets the students! bjcheung77 2 343 06-21-2024, 11:47 PM
Last Post: Ares
  UK students invading US institutions! And more... bjcheung77 1 322 05-20-2024, 09:26 PM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 1,040 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  MBA students receive free Apple Vision Pro Imbanewbie 0 479 02-07-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Grand Canyon Uni: 86K online students, over 960 Million in revenue. bjcheung77 1 649 05-17-2023, 10:00 AM
  Two 16 year old students are recognized... bjcheung77 0 457 05-14-2023, 04:10 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  More than a third of community college students have vanished in the United States JPN 18 2,687 04-12-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore