Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eastern Illinois University.
(04-12-2023, 08:13 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(04-12-2023, 07:17 AM)wildebeest Wrote: Three weeks from the end of semester two. I just have summer and fall left if everything stays on track, so I should be finished with my master's by mid-December. I have about two assignments left in each of the classes I'm taking right now. 

Faculty went on strike as of last Thursday, which may affect in-person students, but I don't think it'll affect me, as I'll still be able to turn in the assignments I have left. I suppose it will impact when things are graded, if it continues, but not whether I can complete the coursework. That said, if this turns out to be an extended strike action and stretches into the summer session, I will have to consider transferring into another program, which I don't want to do, as I really like the classes and professors, and feel like I'm actually learning relevant information. Hoping the strike ends successfully and everybody can move forward soon.

Anyway, first serious hiccup so far.

The professors went on strike? Yikes! Is it a state-wide thing or specific to EIU?

News Link on Subject - https://jg-tc.com/news/local/education/e...00704.html
Amberton - MSHRB
TESU - ASNSM/BSBA

(04-12-2023, 08:13 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(04-12-2023, 07:17 AM)wildebeest Wrote: Three weeks from the end of semester two. I just have summer and fall left if everything stays on track, so I should be finished with my master's by mid-December. I have about two assignments left in each of the classes I'm taking right now. 

Faculty went on strike as of last Thursday, which may affect in-person students, but I don't think it'll affect me, as I'll still be able to turn in the assignments I have left. I suppose it will impact when things are graded, if it continues, but not whether I can complete the coursework. That said, if this turns out to be an extended strike action and stretches into the summer session, I will have to consider transferring into another program, which I don't want to do, as I really like the classes and professors, and feel like I'm actually learning relevant information. Hoping the strike ends successfully and everybody can move forward soon.

Anyway, first serious hiccup so far.

The professors went on strike? Yikes! Is it a state-wide thing or specific to EIU?
This strike is specific to EIU as it's the EIU branch of the union with university-specific demands, but Chicago State and Governors State are also on strike in Illinois.
Master of Arts in Political Science: Public Administration & Public Policy, Eastern Illinois University
Bachelor of Arts in History & Political Science, University of Maine at Presque Isle
[-] The following 1 user Likes wildebeest's post:
  • ss20ts
Strike lasted a week and affected almost nothing. One live presentation became a video presentation.
Master of Arts in Political Science: Public Administration & Public Policy, Eastern Illinois University
Bachelor of Arts in History & Political Science, University of Maine at Presque Isle
  • ss20ts
Just turned in my last assignment for the semester, a 10 minute presentation. Pretty sure I'm maintaining my 4.0, which is good. I'll be taking two classes in the summer, Proseminar on American Politics and Comparative Public Policy. Interestingly, one of these classes is seven weeks long and the other is 10 weeks long. I'll see how that plays out. I was also able to sign up for my capstone course for the fall (a faculty member must agree to be your advisor, and the longer you wait, the less likely it is they will be available, so I wanted to get my ducks in a row early). I also got a $1,500 scholarship this semester, so that will cover about 2/3 of the cost of my summer courses. 

Still having a good time. Starting to think about doing a DPA at University of Illinois Springfield or possibly an Msc in Sustainable Transition from Justus Liebig in Germany. Part of me wants to step up to the doctoral level, but the cost of the German degree (almost nothing) and the subject matter are both appealing.
[-] The following 2 users Like wildebeest's post:
  • LevelUP, ss20ts
Summer classes are a killer. I'm reading about 300 pages a week, twice what I read carrying 9 credits during a normal semester, and writing two papers a week, plus standard discussion stuff. That said, the classes are interesting, so I'm not reading stuff I hate. Anyway, 6 credits in summer feels like a 15 or 18 credit semester, though this might just be the specific classes I'm taking.
  • ss20ts
(05-27-2023, 06:03 PM)wildebeest Wrote: Summer classes are a killer. I'm reading about 300 pages a week, twice what I read carrying nine credits during a normal semester, and writing two papers a week, plus standard discussion stuff. That said, the classes are interesting, so I'm not reading stuff I hate. Anyway, 6 credits in summer feels like a 15 or 18 credit semester, though this might just be the specific classes I'm taking.

ooohh boy!  I don't think I could keep up with that.  I am currently taking an 8-week class and am used to a 10-week format.  I am currently procrastinating finishing a paper that is due tomorrow.  This experience has me more committed to my previous decision just to take two classes a year.  At the moment, I am not in a rush.  But it has to be summer/winter courses.  So that means I am going to have about 18 weeks in a row of courses this time since my next 10-week class begins shortly after this.   GAH!  I need more "flexible" time.  And by flexible, I mean no schoolwork is needed during that time.
MBA - JWMI (in progress)
BA - Edinboro University
Certificate, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation

LawShelf Affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Additional course free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview

ENEB Affiliate
MBA + Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/N92904319K?ap=12c8
MBA *or* Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/S92904390Y?ap=44dc
(05-27-2023, 09:26 PM)Vle045 Wrote:
(05-27-2023, 06:03 PM)wildebeest Wrote: Summer classes are a killer. I'm reading about 300 pages a week, twice what I read carrying nine credits during a normal semester, and writing two papers a week, plus standard discussion stuff. That said, the classes are interesting, so I'm not reading stuff I hate. Anyway, 6 credits in summer feels like a 15 or 18 credit semester, though this might just be the specific classes I'm taking.

ooohh boy!  I don't think I could keep up with that.  I am currently taking an 8-week class and am used to a 10-week format.  I am currently procrastinating finishing a paper that is due tomorrow.  This experience has me more committed to my previous decision just to take two classes a year.  At the moment, I am not in a rush.  But it has to be summer/winter courses.  So that means I am going to have about 18 weeks in a row of courses this time since my next 10-week class begins shortly after this.   GAH!  I need more "flexible" time.  And by flexible, I mean no schoolwork is needed during that time.

I get that. I had two days off between spring and summer, just a weekend, and I really, really missed the month or so I had off between fall and spring. I'm only two weeks in and kinda burnt. Fortunately, I only have eight weeks left and can breathe for about three weeks before my final semester begins.
In the homestretch of the summer session. Final paper for one class is almost done except to address any notes I get, and I only have one more short paper in that class. All papers are done in the other class except the final. It has been busier than I would have liked, and there was so much reading, I did little else when I wasn't at work. That said, glad I did it. One professor has yet to grade a single paper or discussion post, however, so I have no idea what my grade might end up being, which is not like my experience prior to this class. Little frustrating. The other professor is very communicative, grades within 48 hours, and always makes useful comments. Stark contrast. Anyway, still have a 4.0 as of now and hope to maintain it. Final semester coming up in August.

I'm simultaneously exhausted and looking at PhDs. Think getting my MA, I'm going to take extended time off from school, even if I decide to continue eventually.
[-] The following 4 users Like wildebeest's post:
  • allvia, Jonathan Whatley, ss20ts, vintage_jacket
You're almost there! Way to get through the program. I subscribed to this thread since the first post and it's been encouraging to see your progress. Smile
In Progress RA Deg./Cert.: AAS Business with Marketing concentration, and Certificate, 2024
In Progress Cert.: Google PM and IT Support | CAPM
Completed: Certificate and ALS - Community College (RA), 2022, 2023

CLEP: 5 courses | Sophia.org: 1 course | and many non-credits...
[-] The following 1 user Likes vintage_jacket's post:
  • wildebeest
(07-07-2023, 12:49 PM)vintage_jacket Wrote: You're almost there! Way to get through the program. I subscribed to this thread since the first post and it's been encouraging to see  your progress. Smile

Thanks! Time has flown. Hard to believe it's been more than a year since I received my acceptance letter and decided to pursue this degree.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University of Michigan - Master of Applied Data Science Team Rocket 2 444 10-12-2024, 03:15 PM
Last Post: Captainrekt000
  Eastern University MBA Howatt777 1 272 10-09-2024, 11:43 AM
Last Post: Stonybeach
  University of the Cumberlands - Masters in Data Science dleewo 0 204 10-09-2024, 10:07 AM
Last Post: dleewo
  MSc Data Science - University Of Colorado Boulder tuckerarabi786 11 3,204 10-04-2024, 05:45 PM
Last Post: spohara
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 34 10,653 10-02-2024, 04:27 PM
Last Post: Bingbong
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 10 1,792 09-28-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: ivanswk78
  Hellenic American University MBA: Overview of $3K RA MBA PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 98 17,847 09-28-2024, 06:30 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Central Washington University (CWU) FlexIT Pro dbmw 3 429 09-23-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Coming Soon to Amberton University ss20ts 0 343 09-23-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  ENEB to University of the People (UoPeople) spree610 22 1,909 09-08-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: newdegree