Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eastern Illinois University.
(09-17-2022, 07:56 PM)newdegree Wrote: I wonder if the summer courses are also 16 weeks I see they offer summer semesters

Next summer's session, according to their current calendar, is ten weeks.

NOTE ON EDIT: I originally wrote "six weeks." This was an error.
It looks like a nice option for Illinois residents.
(09-17-2022, 12:47 PM)wildebeest Wrote: I will note, however, that there is definitely something to be said for being able to take one class at a time and focusing all your attention on it, which you cannot do here if you want to graduate within a reasonable timeframe, rather than being mentally spread over multiple subjects. I wouldn't pick a different grad school. I love the small class sizes (between eight and ten) and, as I said, the professors seem to actually care, and they're good at what they do, but (at least right now) I do wish I could take one or two classes at a time over seven- or eight-week terms rather than three classes over a sixteen-week semester. I think I'd feel much less scattered. But that might just be me and the way my mind works.

There is someone I have had a few classes with at Amberton who is working on their master's 1 class at a time. He's already 2 years in and has another year to go.....3 years for 36 credits sounds like an eternity after UMPI. I get it since he's working and doesn't have the time, but man that UMPI formula really is hard to beat! I also somewhat miss just taking 1 class at a time and focusing on that one and then moving on to the next. Bouncing back and forth can be confusing at times as many classes in my program discuss similar topics.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • rachel83az, wildebeest
(09-18-2022, 04:06 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(09-17-2022, 12:47 PM)wildebeest Wrote: I will note, however, that there is definitely something to be said for being able to take one class at a time and focusing all your attention on it, which you cannot do here if you want to graduate within a reasonable timeframe, rather than being mentally spread over multiple subjects. I wouldn't pick a different grad school. I love the small class sizes (between eight and ten) and, as I said, the professors seem to actually care, and they're good at what they do, but (at least right now) I do wish I could take one or two classes at a time over seven- or eight-week terms rather than three classes over a sixteen-week semester. I think I'd feel much less scattered. But that might just be me and the way my mind works.

There is someone I have had a few classes with at Amberton who is working on their master's 1 class at a time. He's already 2 years in and has another year to go.....3 years for 36 credits sounds like an eternity after UMPI. I get it since he's working and doesn't have the time, but man that UMPI formula really is hard to beat! I also somewhat miss just taking 1 class at a time and focusing on that one and then moving on to the next. Bouncing back and forth can be confusing at times as many classes in my program discuss similar topics.

Same. Two of my classes right now feel almost like different stages of the same class, the second assuming you already know what you learn in the first.

My program is probably going to take me 18 months, three full semesters and a summer with two classes, and that already feels like a long time. I absolutely understand doing one class at a time, but the timeframe really puts me off the idea. I can't help but think: I could get a second master's degree in that time.

How many credits are you doing per semester?
(09-18-2022, 05:10 PM)wildebeest Wrote: Same. Two of my classes right now feel almost like different stages of the same class, the second assuming you already know what you learn in the first.

My program is probably going to take me 18 months, three full semesters and a summer with two classes, and that already feels like a long time. I absolutely understand doing one class at a time, but the timeframe really puts me off the idea. I can't help but think: I could get a second master's degree in that time.

My terms are 10 weeks long. I've been completing 9 credits per term. This is my final term for my MBA and I'm taking 12 credits which required approval from the Dean. I just want to be done. I can't imagine spending 3 years to do this like a classmate of mine. I'd give up. That's probably why I loved UMPI so much. If I had to take a class that I was less than thrilled with, I could move through it quickly. Worse case scenario it was 8 weeks long. The session was so short that you had to just keep moving on.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • wildebeest
(09-18-2022, 05:22 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(09-18-2022, 05:10 PM)wildebeest Wrote: Same. Two of my classes right now feel almost like different stages of the same class, the second assuming you already know what you learn in the first.

My terms are 10 weeks long. I've been completing 9 credits per term. This is my final term for my MBA and I'm taking 12 credits which required approval from the Dean. I just want to be done. I can't imagine spending 3 years to do this like a classmate of mine. I'd give up. That's probably why I loved UMPI so much. If I had to take a class that I was less than thrilled with, I could move through it quickly. Worse case scenario it was 8 weeks long. The session was so short that you had to just keep moving on.

Yes, UMPI's format and pricing made a BA possible for me. I had been looking at TESU and couldn't figure out a way to make it affordable. I would jump at a master's program from them that was even like a second cousin of what I was looking for.
Nearing the end of my first semester. I managed to find a good balance for time spent between school, work, and kids, and found a good rhythm within the semester, so I've enjoyed the last two months quite a bit. While I've liked my public policy classes, I think the budgeting and financial management course has been my favorite. While there are absolutely practical applications for every course I'm currently doing, this one feels the most useful in real-world situations. 

This week, since there's no school, I'm working on a final paper I have due on December 9. It's for the public policy research and analysis class and is the only final I have that is independent of the rest of the work we've done this semester. That is, for the other two classes, I can essentially combine assignments into the final. For this class, I'm writing a 25-page paper from scratch. 

Anyway, happy to be wrapping up my first semester, and have my next semester planned: Public Policy and Grant Writing in Human Services, Proseminar in Public Administration, and Health Politics and Policy. The grant writing class is technically outside my major (an HSL rather than a PLS course), but I wanted to take a grant writing class, found one in a different program, and got approval (which involved exactly two emails and an online application). Repeating myself, but I really like this school, how involved the professors are, and how easy it is to navigate the system (their football team, however, has been a bit of a disappointment).
[-] The following 1 user Likes wildebeest's post:
  • ss20ts
Stuck at home with COVID, so I'll take the time to update. 

I'm six weeks into my second semester and am having a legitimately good time. I'm taking Public Policy & Healthcare; Public Policy & Grant Writing; and Proseminar in Public Administration. The healthcare class is both pretty easy and relatively interesting. So far there has only been one honest-to-god paper due. The grant writing class is a surprise fundraising class. Have to plan and implement a fundraiser in the first half and write a grant proposal in the second. I am currently planning my fundraiser and, you know what? It's a good time. Have only had one honest-to-god paper due for this class as well. Finally, Public Administration. I wouldn't have thought I'd find a textbooks called Classics of Public Administration particularly interesting, but I absolutely love this class. It's essentially Philosophy of Business: Public and Private, and I flat-out enjoy thinking about the stuff that covers. Anyway, I'm more than a third of the way into the semester and have had exactly zero experience with stress or worry so far. It may be that I just enjoy these classes more than the ones I took during my first semester. It may be that I've found my groove. It may be that this semester's courses are easier. I don't know, but I'm having a good, low-stress time. Kinda wish I'd added a fourth class.
Master of Arts in Political Science: Public Administration & Public Policy, Eastern Illinois University
Bachelor of Arts in History & Political Science, University of Maine at Presque Isle
[-] The following 2 users Like wildebeest's post:
  • LevelUP, ss20ts
Three weeks from the end of semester two. I just have summer and fall left if everything stays on track, so I should be finished with my master's by mid-December. I have about two assignments left in each of the classes I'm taking right now. 

Faculty went on strike as of last Thursday, which may affect in-person students, but I don't think it'll affect me, as I'll still be able to turn in the assignments I have left. I suppose it will impact when things are graded, if it continues, but not whether I can complete the coursework. That said, if this turns out to be an extended strike action and stretches into the summer session, I will have to consider transferring into another program, which I don't want to do, as I really like the classes and professors, and feel like I'm actually learning relevant information. Hoping the strike ends successfully and everybody can move forward soon.

Anyway, first serious hiccup so far.
Master of Arts in Political Science: Public Administration & Public Policy, Eastern Illinois University
Bachelor of Arts in History & Political Science, University of Maine at Presque Isle
[-] The following 2 users Like wildebeest's post:
  • ss20ts, teejayb
(04-12-2023, 07:17 AM)wildebeest Wrote: Three weeks from the end of semester two. I just have summer and fall left if everything stays on track, so I should be finished with my master's by mid-December. I have about two assignments left in each of the classes I'm taking right now. 

Faculty went on strike as of last Thursday, which may affect in-person students, but I don't think it'll affect me, as I'll still be able to turn in the assignments I have left. I suppose it will impact when things are graded, if it continues, but not whether I can complete the coursework. That said, if this turns out to be an extended strike action and stretches into the summer session, I will have to consider transferring into another program, which I don't want to do, as I really like the classes and professors, and feel like I'm actually learning relevant information. Hoping the strike ends successfully and everybody can move forward soon.

Anyway, first serious hiccup so far.

The professors went on strike? Yikes! Is it a state-wide thing or specific to EIU?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University of Michigan - Master of Applied Data Science Team Rocket 2 444 10-12-2024, 03:15 PM
Last Post: Captainrekt000
  Eastern University MBA Howatt777 1 274 10-09-2024, 11:43 AM
Last Post: Stonybeach
  University of the Cumberlands - Masters in Data Science dleewo 0 204 10-09-2024, 10:07 AM
Last Post: dleewo
  MSc Data Science - University Of Colorado Boulder tuckerarabi786 11 3,207 10-04-2024, 05:45 PM
Last Post: spohara
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 34 10,658 10-02-2024, 04:27 PM
Last Post: Bingbong
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 10 1,794 09-28-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: ivanswk78
  Hellenic American University MBA: Overview of $3K RA MBA PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 98 17,855 09-28-2024, 06:30 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Central Washington University (CWU) FlexIT Pro dbmw 3 431 09-23-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Coming Soon to Amberton University ss20ts 0 343 09-23-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  ENEB to University of the People (UoPeople) spree610 22 1,911 09-08-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: newdegree