Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drat - College Math
Flunked College math today. Sad The weird thing was that I thought the test was a breeze and I could definitely ease up to a 50. Well, I almost got there with a 49...I used a new online service (yourteacher.com) instead of speedyprep or instancert that I usually use. I guess the moral is to stick with the study resources that really work! Any advice for next time (in 6 months)? Or is there another math test that I can study for in the mean time?
[SIZE="1"]CLEPS:
English Comp. w/Essay - 66
Analyzing & Interpreting Lit. - 72
U.S. History I - 58
U.S. History II - 58
Intro. to Psychology - 63
Humanities - 68
Natural Sciences - 54
Western Civ. I - 68
Western Civ. II - 60
Sociology - 63
Social Sciences & History - 57
Information Systems - 64
[/SIZE]
Have you heard of ALEKS? You pay 20$ a month and sign up for math classes, you take an assessment and if you score 70% or higher you are done then you have them send your transcript. As far as I know all three schools take them, credit it is ACE but I know for sure Excelsior does. I am really bad at math and am only at 42% but a lot of people test out on their first try. If you dont test at 70% you keep working on the pie chart till you get there. You can also request assessments through your master account everyday or more if you want till you reach 70%, mathway helped me a lot.
littleloulou28 Wrote:Have you heard of ALEKS? You pay 20$ a month and sign up for math classes, you take an assessment and if you score 70% or higher you are done then you have them send your transcript. As far as I know all three schools take them, credit it is ACE but I know for sure Excelsior does. I am really bad at math and am only at 42% but a lot of people test out on their first try. If you dont test at 70% you keep working on the pie chart till you get there. You can also request assessments through your master account everyday or more if you want till you reach 70%, mathway helped me a lot.

Do you have the website for ALEKS? I'm working with a tutor to help me prepare for the CLEP College Algebra. And today, I completed an application for a university ($99 per credit hour) for their College Algebra course just in case I cannot pass the CLEP. It sounds like ALEKS would be the best way to go for me.
KBnoweapons Wrote:Do you have the website for ALEKS? I'm working with a tutor to help me prepare for the CLEP College Algebra. And today, I completed an application for a university ($99 per credit hour) for their College Algebra course just in case I cannot pass the CLEP. It sounds like ALEKS would be the best way to go for me.

Here's another inexpensive option - Clovis Community College. The summer schedule is not posted yet, but the class was offered last summer.

Cost for THE COURSE is $175:

Tuition

Mary Caffey is the instructor for the course - extremely competent online instuctor. You use Plato Learning's College Algebra text. Midterm and Final are proctored exams; no notes permitted for exams. You need to allow 3 hours for each exam. If you plan to take the course at Clovis, you MUST take the Accuplacer unless you can show you have completed Intermediate Algebra at another institution.

Customer service is 1st rate - I've had 2 homeschooled kids take classes there, and would recommend them to anyone!

My daughter took Intermediate and College Algebra, along with Trigonometry through Clovis, then did the Calculus CLEP so she had a good base to build upon.
Shawn A Wrote:Here's another inexpensive option - Clovis Community College. The summer schedule is not posted yet, but the class was offered last summer.

Cost for THE COURSE is $175:

Tuition

Mary Caffey is the instructor for the course - extremely competent online instuctor. You use Plato Learning's College Algebra text. Midterm and Final are proctored exams; no notes permitted for exams. You need to allow 3 hours for each exam. If you plan to take the course at Clovis, you MUST take the Accuplacer unless you can show you have completed Intermediate Algebra at another institution.

Customer service is 1st rate - I've had 2 homeschooled kids take classes there, and would recommend them to anyone!

My daughter took Intermediate and College Algebra, along with Trigonometry through Clovis, then did the Calculus CLEP so she had a good base to build upon.

Really!!!!! Very interesting... I need 3 college math credits, and my school said they will accept College Algebra.
I had not had a Math course in ~25 years and I joined ALEKs and did the Begining Algebra in about 60 hours of work in 2 weeks. I really did the work and used Mathways for help if needed. I may go back and take intermediate algebra later. ALEKS -- Assessment and Learning, K-12, Higher Education, Automated Tutor, Math
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Lindagerr Wrote:I had not had a Math course in ~25 years and I joined ALEKs and did the Begining Algebra in about 60 hours of work in 2 weeks. I really did the work and used Mathways for help if needed. I may go back and take intermediate algebra later. ALEKS -- Assessment and Learning, K-12, Higher Education, Automated Tutor, Math

It's been over 25 years since I've taken a math class. I told my tutor, 1+1=2 and that's as high as I can go. I told him not to laugh at me, but of course he does. He laughed at me today when we met. He loves math, and gets all excited when explaining formulas and things.
ALEKS could be a good option for both of you, but do not consider using it for credit until you know if your college will accept ACE approved credit.

As another thought, ALEKS could be used to learn the material for taking a CLEP/DSST exam.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
NAP Wrote:Hi KBnoweapons!

ALEKS could be a good option for you, but do not consider using it for credit until you know if your college will accept ACE approved credit.

As another thought, ALEKS could be used to learn the material for taking a CLEP/DSST exam.

Thanks Nap! I was thinking the same thing, that ALEKS could help me prepare for CLEP, and it's MUCH cheaper than paying my tutor. The reason I'm using a tutor is because I need that hands-on approach because I've been away from math for so long. Do you think I'll be okay on my own with ALEKS? I just need to learn enough to pass the CLEP College Algebra.
KBnoweapons Wrote:Thanks Nap! I was thinking the same thing, that ALEKS could help me prepare for CLEP, and it's MUCH cheaper than paying my tutor. The reason I'm using a tutor is because I need that hands-on approach because I've been away from math for so long. Do you think I'll be okay on my own with ALEKS? I just need to learn enough to pass the CLEP College Algebra.

Now I feel bad for the tutor who is losing his job!

I have not tried ALEKS yet, but I am looking forward to it. A lot of members of this forum have successfully worked through it on their own. It seems to work in a step-by-step process. There is a free trial, so you could see if you like it.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ACCUMULATING ACCOUNTING CREDITS for CPA - WHAT COLLEGE TO USE AND FROM WHOM? germ 9 2,814 09-27-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: turbotortuga
  Free College Hack - Italian or Hungarian Ancestry nykorn 8 758 09-27-2024, 03:37 PM
Last Post: naet
  2025 - College Rankings, 5 ups and 5 downs bjcheung77 0 162 09-25-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit bjcheung77 17 174,103 09-16-2024, 07:29 PM
  Freshman College Comp w/essay mom2school 13 2,843 09-14-2024, 07:37 AM
Last Post: upgradelately
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 18 2,241 08-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: wow
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,449 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Affordable Math degree for non-US (international) citizen OtterDen 22 1,651 07-17-2024, 09:36 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  College or university isn't what it's cracked up to be... bjcheung77 3 469 07-14-2024, 10:58 AM
  Free college for "Senior citizens" jb111 6 852 07-07-2024, 06:55 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher