Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does WGU grading hinder jobs/further education?
I'm applying to cybersecurity master degree programs while I'm waiting for my TESU undergrad to confer. 

I've heard everyone who passes at WGU earns a 3.0 gpa, which is generally the minimum grade to stay in good academic standing at most other schools. 

Has anyone who's graduated from WGU had issues with gaining admission to further education or obtaining a job due to the pass/fail nature of WGU? I'm not sure if these are real issues or just ones I'm making up.

Advice is much appreciated.

Thanks!
There are exceptions, but virtually no jobs will ever care about your GPA, especially if you have work experience. The degree is just a checkbox.

Depending on the grad school you want to get into, it might be an issue, but there are plenty of schools that won't have any problem with it. Determine what your long term goal is, and work backwards to see if WGU will fit this goal.

And you technically have *no* GPA, not a 3.0. The transcript does say that graduating at WGU is the equivalent of at least a 3.0, but they do not calculate this or provide the GPA on your transcript. It's strictly PASS/FAIL.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • delightfulwilderness
If you have no experience and want an internship, it can affect your ability to land a competitive internship. In general, the federal government doesn't look at GPA, but if you want to qualify for GS-7 without experience or a year of graduate education, then you need to qualify based on GPA, class rank, or membership in a recognized honors society.

For competitive graduate programs, you'll probably have to demonstrate competitiveness through the GRE, GMAT, MAT, etc.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • delightfulwilderness, jch
I haven't graduated yet but, I had an application rejected because of the p/f grading for one Ed. D program I applied to. To be fair, this program was structured for a very traditional mentorship model and was competitive. A lot of programs I applied for aren't very competitive and have been told as soon as I finish my M. Ed I'm in.
COSC AS 2019 - completed
COSC BSBA 2020 - completed
Cumberland School of Law M.S.L 2022 - completed
UA - MS Hospitality Management 2024 - in process

#GOACORNS
#GOBULLDOGS
#ROLLTIDE
[-] The following 1 user Likes withrown's post:
  • delightfulwilderness
(10-16-2021, 09:27 AM)delightfulwilderness Wrote: I'm applying to cybersecurity master degree programs while I'm waiting for my TESU undergrad to confer. 

I've heard everyone who passes at WGU earns a 3.0 gpa, which is generally the minimum grade to stay in good academic standing at most other schools. 

Has anyone who's graduated from WGU had issues with gaining admission to further education or obtaining a job due to the pass/fail nature of WGU? I'm not sure if these are real issues or just ones I'm making up.

Advice is much appreciated.

Thanks!

My WGU MS-CSIA was good enough to get me into the PhD in Information Technology program at the University of the Cumberlands, and I've heard about plenty of other people getting into other PhD programs without any problems.
John L. Watson
Earned: WGU: BS-NOS (2019), WGU: MS-CSIA (2021)
Current Programs: UC: PhD in InfoSec (2025), AMA: DIT (2024), ENEB: MBA (2023)
Exam Priority: CEH (Practical), PMP, CISA, CISM
Future Plans: TBD - maybe an MS in Cannabis Science & Business, sounds like fun!
LinkedIn
Omni Transcript
Credly Badges
[-] The following 4 users Like jamshid666's post:
  • collegechick, delightfulwilderness, MNomadic, ss20ts
I graduated from WGU and currently working on a Doctorate.
[-] The following 1 user Likes xspect's post:
  • delightfulwilderness

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Master's or PhD in Linguistics/Education/English Mister Linguist 16 2,120 12-10-2023, 03:25 AM
Last Post: nykorn
  Online Master of Arts in Education (French language) TennisCoach 16 1,290 12-07-2023, 10:23 AM
Last Post: nykorn
  VA Discredits HES Eligibility for VA Education Benefits smartdegree 5 591 11-28-2023, 11:22 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Fastest Least Expensive Masters in Psychology or Education dbwdb 21 3,723 09-09-2023, 09:39 PM
Last Post: ejones
  What are people's reasons for taking Masters in Education jb111 10 3,816 09-09-2023, 09:33 PM
Last Post: ejones
  Masters in Elementary Education teacher2 4 1,042 09-09-2023, 11:07 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Seeking Suggestions for Education Pathway for Canada's Permanent Residence OtterDen 8 1,136 06-23-2023, 10:18 AM
Last Post: smartdegree
  Some Master’s Degrees Are the Second Biggest Scam in Higher Education LevelUP 18 3,026 02-11-2023, 07:06 PM
Last Post: aslhou
  $18k University of Virginia Master of Education smartdegree 1 557 09-07-2022, 04:09 PM
Last Post: carrythenothing
  Cheap VESi CEU (Continuing Education) Graduate Credit for $62 per Credit from UMPI ashkir 8 1,875 04-23-2022, 01:32 PM
Last Post: dfrecore