Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Do you really read the whole textbook from A-Z?
Right now I'm preparing for a bunch of exams and got myself ready for some textbooks. No surprises looking at the number of pages (its 600-700) they may just take me about month and a half to complete these books with all the quizzes and assignments. I like studying but I have to confess it's a tad inefficient.

On this forum there are seem to be so many wizards that seem to finish their studying and pass their exams in a day or two. I don't know if that is corrupting my mind but hey it's some food for thought.

Back to the discussion how would you manage your studying if you were to tackle a 600 pager tome?
charismo Wrote:Right now I'm preparing for a bunch of exams and got myself ready for some textbooks. No surprises looking at the number of pages (its 600-700) they may just take me about month and a half to complete these books with all the quizzes and assignments. I like studying but I have to confess it's a tad inefficient.

On this forum there are seem to be so many wizards that seem to finish their studying and pass their exams in a day or two. I don't know if that is corrupting my mind but hey it's some food for thought.

Back to the discussion how would you manage your studying if you were to tackle a 600 pager tome?

I imagine you're doing TECEP exams. I specifically avoided these exams and TESC for this reason. But to answer your question, a lot of people end up skimming these textbooks and reading them quickly out of boredom - it may or may not work though as it really depends on the individual. IMO, it's not very efficient or feasible to get much out of reading a 500 - 1000 page tome and is why I went with UExcel exams instead where you can pass exams by simply doing the instantcert flash cards, do some practice official exams, and read some instantcert subscriber discussions about what will be on the exams.

I discuss this issue in some threads like here: http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...etter.html and also here: http://degreeforum.wikia.com/wiki/COSC_Degree_Plans

If you can find exams through UExcel, or DSST that are covered by Instantcert, you will likely be able to study for them in a few hours and pass.
KittenMittens Wrote:I imagine you're doing TECEP exams. I specifically avoided these exams and TESC for this reason. But to answer your question, a lot of people end up skimming these textbooks and reading them quickly out of boredom - it may or may not work though as it really depends on the individual. IMO, it's not very efficient or feasible to get much out of reading a 500 - 1000 page tome and is why I went with UExcel exams instead where you can pass exams by simply doing the instantcert flash cards, do some practice official exams, and read some instantcert subscriber discussions about what will be on the exams.

I discuss this issue in some threads like here: http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...etter.html and also here: COSC Degree Plans - Degree Forum Wiki

If you can find exams through UExcel, or DSST that are covered by Instantcert, you will likely be able to study for them in a few hours and pass.

Correct. Environmental Ethics and Marriage and Family to be specific.

Well your advice would have worked wonders If I wasn't locked into the Per Credit tuition plan. I will be taking 8 TECEP's to fulfill that requirement.

The other thing I could do as you said, to simply read over the summary and glossary words but when I checked out the MCQ's on the course outline of TECEP's some of them were really specific. Man, let's see if I could conjure up a pattern how these questions are made and where they take their main knowledge points.
charismo Wrote:Correct. Environmental Ethics and Marriage and Family to be specific.

Well your advice would have worked wonders If I wasn't locked into the Per Credit tuition plan. I will be taking 8 TECEP's to fulfill that requirement.

The other thing I could do as you said, to simply read over the summary and glossary words but when I checked out the MCQ's on the course outline of TECEP's some of them were really specific. Man, let's see if I could conjure up a pattern how these questions are made and where they take their main knowledge points.

It's really quite frustrating isn't it? For the sake of saving about a grand or two, it comes at a major expense i.e. time spent slaving away through textbooks. Now try doing that for a TECEP like in Federal Taxation where you'd have to read a 300 page textbook on IRS codes...

How far into the program are you? If you haven't done too many, you can always switch out of it and still apply those credits to other degree programs. Charter Oak has a B.S. in Cybersecurity, though the guides I've created are for pursuing a B.S. in Business Administration through Charter Oak. In the Degree Wikia (in my signature), it explains your options between the different schools.

That said, if you search around, you may find some TECEPs that are easier than others i.e. the math/computer science ones, though you may have already completed those.
KittenMittens Wrote:It's really quite frustrating isn't it? For the sake of saving about a grand or two, it comes at a major expense i.e. time spent slaving away through textbooks. Now try doing that for a TECEP like in Federal Taxation where you'd have to read a 300 page textbook on IRS codes...

How far into the program are you? If you haven't done too many, you can always switch out of it and still apply those credits to other degree programs. Charter Oak has a B.S. in Cybersecurity, though the guides I've created are for pursuing a B.S. in Business Administration through Charter Oak. In the Degree Wikia (in my signature), it explains your options between the different schools.

That said, if you search around, you may find some TECEPs that are easier than others i.e. the math/computer science ones, though you may have already completed those.

Let's take a bit of a detour. I'm one of those learners that likes to go to the meat and bones of the material that I'm trying to learn. I started my journey of test taking with CLEP and DSST. Since they were the first tests I ever took I studied really hard. It took me about 50 days to study for 2 tests.

But then I got wiser. I realized I need not study harder. I can study smarter by cutting my time on textbooks and studying the flash cards, the specific feedbacks on those exams and most importantly testing the Peterson's mock exam early on in the preparation. Just a week of study and I was already passing the Peterson's tests. Another week of study I was passing the CLEPs and DSST's.

Fast forward in time, I have now accumulated around 70 credits at TESC comprising of previous college credits, CLEPs and DSSTs.

I decided it's time taking TECEP's. Now If I was aware how scarce studying materials were for TECEP I would have started it long time ago. I would have structured it in a way that time would not have been a factor. I made up my mind that the same studying pattern would also apply for TECEP alas it was a bad foresight.

I would also be doing the Network Technologies and that one seems easy enough with someone who is already computer network savvy.

Lets see someone with experience of TECEP's could chime in with some tips. :coolgleam:
It depends on your major. The key is to take TECEPs that are easy. Federal Income Taxation is open book. I passed it without studying. Their computer applications or whatever it's called test requires basic computer knowledge. Other options to reading textbooks are to use TESC's suggested free study materials. I've heard Public Relations is easy, and there are flashcards for that.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
For subjects in the Social Sciences and Humanities, I prefer to read the textbook and watch lectures. When I do, I don't take notes or work through the assignments. I just read the chapters and review the summary. If you ask ten students, you are likely to get ten different answers. The key is to find a system that works well for you.
Usually I do, but not always. In the case of 800-page textbooks, you'll pretty much be forced to skim over certain sections.
Course clear! You got a card.

Analyzing & Interpreting Literature 72|American Government 71|Introductory Sociology 63|Humanities 70|College Composition 60|U.S. History II 67|Principles of Marketing 73|Principles of Macroeconomics 67|Principles of Microeconomics 66|U.S. History I 74|College Mathematics 68|Information Systems & Computer Applications 68|College Algebra 56|Biology 63|Financial Accounting 65

B.A.S. IT Management, Class of 2015
MBA, Class of 2017
[quote=KittenMittens]I imagine you're doing TECEP exams. I specifically avoided these exams and TESC for this reason. But to answer your question, a lot of people end up skimming these textbooks and reading them quickly out of boredom.[QUOTE]

I don't know why you keep telling people this, without taking one of them. I took and passed the OM TECEP, without reading the textbook. My spouse took and passed the ENC 102 TECEP without a text, and there are others. Please let people who took TECEPs answer these questions. in this way, there is less searching and scrolling info members need to do to find relevant information.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
There are times, especially with familiar subject matter, when I find it entirely possible to glean the required information from the bold faced type and end of chapter summaries. Wikipedia and google are your pal here too as you can fill in the blanks and weaknesses quickly.

Of course I like this approach best when dealing with a known exam and I can check what I think I know against some measure to see if I'm on track.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You've been reading wrong all your life. How to read 1000 pages a day. LevelUP 2 188 04-17-2024, 08:24 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Perlego: Startup for "all you can read" textbooks bjcheung77 7 1,073 09-08-2023, 04:03 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Do you read the syllabus? bjcheung77 9 1,224 01-27-2022, 12:50 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  One of the Worst Education Articles I've Read sanantone 19 2,601 04-08-2019, 02:34 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Another Textbook Option AngelaP 5 763 03-13-2016, 10:23 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Humanities Textbook Debugjaws 1 588 10-06-2015, 11:46 AM
Last Post: cstock
  social psychology by aronson textbook editions ladylearner 1 587 05-14-2015, 12:31 PM
Last Post: AngelaP
  Do you read everything that is assigned to you? soliloquy 15 1,444 04-28-2015, 07:58 PM
Last Post: Devanna
  Using a digital textbook during straighterline tests? Kaskadian 3 823 03-17-2015, 10:10 PM
Last Post: CollegeKid
  TECEP Exams Textbook Clarification heidi08 13 1,468 02-04-2015, 02:18 PM
Last Post: bricabrac