Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College majors that pay you back (2021)
(08-16-2021, 05:52 PM)Pats20 Wrote: Like I said roi isn’t only measured monetarily.  Teachers enjoy state benefits and pensions along with weekends, holidays, and summers off, and let’s not forget tenure. That’s the trade off.

Also if their is such a teacher shortage why are there  so many adjunct professors working for peanuts with no benefits and substitute teachers ?  You would think they would be filling these full time positions and the shortage would be with the subs and adjuncts.

Teaching a college course is nothing at all like teaching a classroom full of 3rd graders all day every day. You also need to be licensed/certified to be a teacher in many states. I have no problem teaching college business courses. I've tutored in the past. Teach business classes to high school kids? Nope. Not my thing at all. I'm not into that bureaucracy.
(08-16-2021, 05:09 PM)MNomadic Wrote:
(08-16-2021, 12:45 PM)sanantone Wrote: Some school districts have started temporarily hiring people with no teacher training, not even alternative teacher certification training. 

It's funny that you say that... I actually just began work as a remote, part-time teacher because of that, despite not having my undergrad yet(expected soon, this year).
Oh, wow!

(08-16-2021, 05:52 PM)Pats20 Wrote: Like I said roi isn’t only measured monetarily.  Teachers enjoy state benefits and pensions along with weekends, holidays, and summers off, and let’s not forget tenure. That’s the trade off.

Also if their is such a teacher shortage why are there  so many adjunct professors working for peanuts with no benefits and substitute teachers ?  You would think they would be filling these full time positions and the shortage would be with the subs and adjuncts.
I did student teaching in a kindergarten class and college instruction. The older the student, the better. There often is a shortage of subs. Some who work as subs or adjuncts only want a part-time job. Some people work as adjuncts for the extra income.

I don't think most K-12 teachers get tenure. I haven't seen any tenure in my state. Many professions get holidays and weekends off. Some regions mostly have long summer breaks, but other regions have shifted to year-round schooling. I attended a year-round middle school; it was the only one in the district, though. Teachers don't get the full summer break. They have to attend training and prep courses for the year. Also, many teachers report working 10+ hours per day without overtime or comp time.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
In addition to having to attend training and continue to get CEUs, it's also not uncommon for teachers to work a summer job so that they can pay for school supplies.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
On the topic of teachers, I can say I have seen a lot of similar situations to the above.

I have worked in a variety of K-12 schools in both low income and affluent areas. I work as an administrative assistant, so I see a lot.

The pool of subs has been atrocious. In some cases, there is a reason they are a sub - they suck. I even had 3rd grade kids comment on how lazy their sub was because he literally did nothing. Another sub fell asleep in class. Some are rude. One looked like Mimi from the Drew Carey Show and was screaming at Kindergarteners.

Some regular classroom teachers don’t last because they have no classroom Management skills. I had to go up to a 6th grade classroom because the class was so loud and out of control. When an office lady has to go up and scold 6th graders to be quiet during testing - that is a huge issue.

Some of the absolute best teachers bust their butts all day long. And extra duties are put upon them all day and in to the evening and weekends. They don’t all have planning periods. They have to cover study halls, lunches, before school and after school programs. In high school they also have to cover athletics and performing arts programs (even if it is not their program). They are also planning all the extra events throughout the year. And in their “off time” they are grading, responding to parent emails, etc etc.
Sometimes they are also doubling as the cleaning staff, cafeteria workers, nurses, and more.

And all that is on a good day.
MBA - JWMI (in progress)
BA - Edinboro University
Certificate, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation

LawShelf Affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Additional course free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview

ENEB Affiliate
MBA + Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/N92904319K?ap=12c8
MBA *or* Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/S92904390Y?ap=44dc
[-] The following 2 users Like Vle045's post:
  • rachel83az, ss20ts
I realize that it’s not all peaches and cream, but it’s not all doom and gloom either. My sis in law just got back from a months long cross country trip with her family. What other profession allows for this ? Not many. She teaches k-12 and is tenured. In my state teachers get tenure after 5 years. No it’s not as safe teaching in inner city schools over suburban, but then again neither is being a police officer , emt, or even a grocery store clerk for that matter. Many inner city teachers are from the area and it’s their passion to give back. Roi isn’t just about money. My hats off to them, I’m sure it’s tough. That’s the nice thing about being educated in America. You have options.
(08-17-2021, 09:18 AM)Pats20 Wrote: I realize that it’s not all peaches and cream, but it’s not all doom and gloom either. My sis in law just got back from a months long cross country trip with her family. What other profession allows for this ? Not many. She teaches k-12 and is tenured. In my state teachers get tenure after 5 years. No it’s not as safe teaching in inner city schools over suburban, but then again neither is being a police officer , emt, or even a grocery store clerk for that matter. Many inner city teachers are from the area and it’s their passion to give back. Roi isn’t just about money. My hats off to them, I’m sure it’s tough. That’s the nice thing about being educated in America. You have options.

IT. Get a job where when you're hired you start with minimum 3 weeks vacation. After a few years you're up to 4 weeks vacation. Yes, some place will allow you to take the entire vacation at one time. Teachers also don't get paid for summer. So she isn't really on vacation. Teachers are 10 month positions in most states so they're paid for 10 months of work not 12 months.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit bjcheung77 17 172,884 09-16-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Freshman College Comp w/essay mom2school 13 2,766 09-14-2024, 07:37 AM
Last Post: upgradelately
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 18 2,034 08-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: wow
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,346 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Free College Hack - Italian or Hungarian Ancestry nykorn 7 624 07-23-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  College or university isn't what it's cracked up to be... bjcheung77 3 447 07-14-2024, 10:58 AM
  Free college for "Senior citizens" jb111 6 758 07-07-2024, 06:55 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Next Frontier for College Sports: Cornhole Scholarships LevelUP 1 297 07-01-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: lisarox
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 4 1,117 06-13-2024, 09:12 AM
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 22 3,385 05-31-2024, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Thfuriene