Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College for Criminals
I found this article covering a recent event in New York. The Governor announced a $1 million plan to bring college courses to various prisons in New York.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/10/opinio...inion&_r=0

The cost for the program would have been $5000 per inmate per year.

A program like this has its merits, but I'm curious how the Governor plans to justify being able to make tuition for an inmate $5000, when the average price of in-state tuition at a public university is nearly $9000. Shouldn't these same reforms be made in public higher education to lower the costs for the average student first?
[COLOR="#0000FF"] B.S. - COSC (December, 2013) :hurray:
20-Community College Courses (2004-2006)
80-Semester Hours at Western Governors University (2010-2012)
15-Charter Oak State College (2013)
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
If I can do it, ANYONE can do it![/COLOR]
I'm assuming the inmates would have been attending through correspondence; that's why it's cheaper to educate them. It's not like New York isn't already spending millions (maybe billions) subsidizing the educations of New York residents. $1 million for a prison program wouldn't even make a dent in the tuition rates for New York residents. This is where one would do a cost-benefit analysis. How much money can New York save taxpayers by educating and training inmates for jobs and having them be less likely to recidivate because of this? The savings could go to other things such as subsidizing in-state tuition.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:I'm assuming the inmates would have been attending through correspondence; that's why it's cheaper to educate them. It's not like New York isn't already spending millions (maybe billions) subsidizing the educations of New York residents. $1 million for a prison program wouldn't even make a dent in the tuition rates for New York residents. This is where one would do a cost-benefit analysis. How much money can New York save taxpayers by educating and training inmates for jobs and having them be less likely to recidivate because of this? The savings could go to other things such as subsidizing in-state tuition.

I don't think this will do anything to help recidvism rates at all. Have you ever worked with convicted criminals trying to get them a job that paid more than minimum wage? It doesn't matter what education, training or skills these guys have, no one wants the liability of hiring an (ex?)offender.
AAS in Environmental Safety & Security Technologies from TESC - Completed 2014
and BA Emergency & Disaster Mgmt at American Military University with a minor in Security Management - Completed

Completed:
FEMA: 20 credit hours, B&M: 33 credit hours, AARTS: 14 credit hours, certifications
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpret. Literature CLEP - 66, English Composition Modular CLEP - 58, American Government CLEP - 58, Social Sciences & History CLEP - 63
DSST: Intro to Computing DSST - 452
Straighterline: Business Ethics (88%), Criminal Justice (94%), World Religions (93%), Cultural Anthropology (92%), Intro to Sociology (94%)
TECEP: CIS 107, ENGL 102, PSY 270, BIO 208
Hopefully, the Governor is making decisions based on empirical evidence rather than anecdotal evidence.
defscarlett Wrote:I don't think this will do anything to help recidvism rates at all. Have you ever worked with convicted criminals trying to get them a job that paid more than minimum wage? It doesn't matter what education, training or skills these guys have, no one wants the liability of hiring an (ex?)offender.

The decision to deny an inmate college level schooling, I hope, will not be based on speculation as to whether they will be viable in the job market when they get out of prison. It would be difficult enough I would think to be an ex-convict looking for a job - but to spend a decade or more in prison only to also be dismissed with absolutely no educational opportunities is counter-intuitive to the notion that they are supposed to be rehabilitated rather than punished.
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
defscarlett Wrote:I don't think this will do anything to help recidvism rates at all. Have you ever worked with convicted criminals trying to get them a job that paid more than minimum wage? It doesn't matter what education, training or skills these guys have, no one wants the liability of hiring an (ex?)offender.

The article says this.
Quote:This is not a bleeding-heart cause. Leading conservatives and red-state politicians have supported prison college programs as a matter of public safety and fiscal prudence. A RAND meta-analysis of 58 studies concluded that inmates who participated in these programs were 43 percent less likely to return to a life of crime; even assuming that the most redeemable inmates are the likeliest to sign up, this is an incredible return on a modest investment. Moreover, wardens and prison guards believe such programs lower the explosive tensions in prison.

And links to this.
http://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pub..._RR266.pdf

It's not easy, but there are ways to get around bias against felons. Those trained in the trades can go into business for themselves. Oftentimes, blue collar employers are willing to give felons a second chance. There are many substance abuse counselors who are former drug addicts and alcoholics. My county has had a defense attorney nominated as the Democratic candidate for DA twice. Even though he was convicted of a drug charge a long time ago, he has a successful practice. Our current DA, who just received the Republican nomination again, was once arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence. She's still suspected of being an alcoholic because she always appears drunk. hilarious
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
The problem with this initiative is that it aims too high. 82% of prison inmates are high school drop outs and over 60% of them are functionally illiterate.

Literacy Statistics

https://www.dosomething.org/actnow/tipsa...l-dropouts

Most of these guys don't need college, they need high school.
I think what is important here is hope. Statistics indicate that minorities populate our prison systems regardless of State some may say the life of crime was due to their surroundings or lack of hope in another option. In many cases though criminals take advantage of an opportunity which given other hopeful opportunities like a college education they may be willing to make a go of living "normal" lives which since they already have lost their right to participate in the political system through their felony may be able to participate in our economic system through business and enterprise.
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,
Ayla87 Wrote:The problem with this initiative is that it aims too high. 82% of prison inmates are high school drop outs and over 60% of them are functionally illiterate.

Literacy Statistics

https://www.dosomething.org/actnow/tipsa...l-dropouts

Most of these guys don't need college, they need high school.

Most prisons already offer high school and GED programs.

Texas is extremely conservative, and even we offer college degree programs to inmates.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
If I end up in prison I will go to law school...if it's the last thing I ever do. Smile
BA Liberal Arts in 2014 from Excelsior College. (Took 25 tests)
Certificate in Writing in 2018 from University of Washington.
Have 180 hour TEFL/TESOL Advanced Cert from TEFL HERO.
Member of World Genius Directory. IQ 148 SD 15/IQ 151 SD 16.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ACCUMULATING ACCOUNTING CREDITS for CPA - WHAT COLLEGE TO USE AND FROM WHOM? germ 9 2,937 09-27-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: turbotortuga
  Free College Hack - Italian or Hungarian Ancestry nykorn 8 822 09-27-2024, 03:37 PM
Last Post: naet
  2025 - College Rankings, 5 ups and 5 downs bjcheung77 0 204 09-25-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit bjcheung77 17 175,129 09-16-2024, 07:29 PM
  Freshman College Comp w/essay mom2school 13 2,895 09-14-2024, 07:37 AM
Last Post: upgradelately
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 18 2,450 08-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: wow
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,507 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  College or university isn't what it's cracked up to be... bjcheung77 3 515 07-14-2024, 10:58 AM
  Free college for "Senior citizens" jb111 6 893 07-07-2024, 06:55 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Next Frontier for College Sports: Cornhole Scholarships LevelUP 1 333 07-01-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: lisarox