Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College Algebra difficulty???
I was wondering if anyone could give me a quick overview of the difficulty of the College Algebra CLEP. If you could use a 1-10 scale, that would be great. I'm 8/8 in my CLEPs so far, and I'm already studying for College Algebra, and just want an idea of what to expect.
Done:
Intro to Sociology
Freshman English Comp
Analyzing and Interpreting Lit
Intro to Psychology
American Gov
English Lit
US History 1
Principles of Macroeconomics

To do:
College Algebra
hmmm......
jamesconner31 Wrote:I was wondering if anyone could give me a quick overview of the difficulty of the College Algebra CLEP. If you could use a 1-10 scale, that would be great. I'm 8/8 in my CLEPs so far, and I'm already studying for College Algebra, and just want an idea of what to expect.
Time will be your biggest enemy on this exam. I've taken several CLEPs, and this is the only one that I didn't finish within the allotted time.

Become familiar with the types of questions that are asked in the official study guide as they're very similar to those asked on the actual exam. I used ALEKS to study, and it took me about 230 hours to complete the entire pie. I put a lot of extra time into studying for this particular CLEP, because I knew that I'd be taking some higher level math courses in the future. I scored a 60, and I'm currently studying for the Calculus CLEP.

So, I strongly suggest you pay the $20 and subscribe to ALEKS. It's a great study tool, and it offers an infinite number of practice problems. There are also a few formulas you may want to memorize (like the quadratic formula or the equations for the sums of geometric/arithmetic sequences).

Also, check out Sal Kahn's videos on Youtube: Khan Academy
ideafx Wrote:Time will be your biggest enemy on this exam. I've taken several CLEPs, and this is the only one that I didn't finish within the allotted time.

Become familiar with the types of questions that are asked in the official study guide as they're very similar to those asked on the actual exam. I used ALEKS to study, and it took me about 230 hours to complete the entire pie. I put a lot of extra time into studying for this particular CLEP, because I knew that I'd be taking some higher level math courses in the future. I scored a 60, and I'm currently studying for the Calculus CLEP.

So, I strongly suggest you pay the $20 and subscribe to ALEKS. It's a great study tool, and it offers an infinite number of practice problems. There are also a few formulas you may want to memorize (like the quadratic formula or the equations for the sums of geometric/arithmetic sequences).

Also, check out Sal Kahn's videos on Youtube: Khan Academy

THANKS! Keep the suggestions coming!
Done:
Intro to Sociology
Freshman English Comp
Intro to Psychology
American Gov
English Lit
US History 1

To do:
College Algebra
hmmm......
jamesconner31 Wrote:I was wondering if anyone could give me a quick overview of the difficulty of the College Algebra CLEP. If you could use a 1-10 scale, that would be great.
I'd give it a 6 or 7, as far as CLEPs go. You definitely have to study, but it's quite doable. Here's what I posted in the Specific Exam Feedback Section:
Quote:I took this test after less than two weeks of preparation. Some months before, I had begun using REA’s book for the test, but found it too bare-bones. I needed some explanation and practice problems occasionally. That’s when I got my main study source: The CLEP Professor Program.

CLEP Professor’s College Algebra CD is wonderful. With it, anyone who has any memories of algebra can easily brush up for and pass this exam. Once I finished it, I was getting scaled scores from the lower to mid 60s on the REA exams and lower 70s on the CLEP Prof’s practice exams.

I reviewed REA’s third test before going into my test. Once I was in front of the computer and going through the tutorials, I performed a brain dump, writing down all the formulas I could remember (don’t let formula’s scare you; you CAN memorize them). This formula sheet was invaluable while I took the test, less because I used it a ton (probably for six questions max), but because it helped me to relax during the test.

When my final score of 62 appeared, I was very pleased. Anyone who can think mathematically can take this test, though it will take some preparation.
Just keep going until you can pass multiple practice tests by a comfortable margin.

The Best,
R.
[SIZE="1"]American Government (68) ~ Analyzing & Interpreting Literature (70) ~ Art of the Western World (72) ~ Astronomy (66) ~ ENG407: Chaucer (A) ~ Civil War & Reconstruction (69) ~ College Algebra (62) ~ College Mathematics (73) ~ College Writing (A) ~ English Composition with Essay (59) ~ GRE Literature in English (610/73%tile) ~ Humanities (75) ~ Introduction to Business (62) ~ Introduction to Computing (459) ~ Introduction to Educational Psychology (72) ~ Introduction to World Religions (478) ~ Introductory Psychology (74) ~ Money & Banking (48) ~ Research & Writing (A) ~ Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union (68) ~ ENG 310: Short Stories (A) ~ Introductory Sociology (77) ~ Social Sciences & History (76) ~ Technical Writing (67) ~ US History I (69) ~ US History II (64) ~ Western Civilization I (76) ~ Western Civilization II (65) Western Europe Since 1945 (65) ~ Exam Feedback

Total Credits: 121 ~ DONE: Literature in English BA from Excelsior College[/SIZE]
Ruddigore Wrote:I'd give it a 6 or 7, as far as CLEPs go. You definitely have to study, but it's quite doable. Here's what I posted in the Specific Exam Feedback Section:

Just keep going until you can pass multiple practice tests by a comfortable margin.

The Best,
R.

Thanks for the information. I'm only needing a 50, so the info is definitely useful.
Done:
Intro to Sociology
Freshman English Comp
Intro to Psychology
American Gov
English Lit
US History 1

To do:
College Algebra
hmmm......

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Liberty University--- Difficulty? midnite123 4 169 6 hours ago
Last Post: midnite123
  ACCUMULATING ACCOUNTING CREDITS for CPA - WHAT COLLEGE TO USE AND FROM WHOM? germ 9 2,809 09-27-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: turbotortuga
  Free College Hack - Italian or Hungarian Ancestry nykorn 8 753 09-27-2024, 03:37 PM
Last Post: naet
  2025 - College Rankings, 5 ups and 5 downs bjcheung77 0 158 09-25-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit bjcheung77 17 174,083 09-16-2024, 07:29 PM
  Freshman College Comp w/essay mom2school 13 2,841 09-14-2024, 07:37 AM
Last Post: upgradelately
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 18 2,236 08-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: wow
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,446 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  College or university isn't what it's cracked up to be... bjcheung77 3 467 07-14-2024, 10:58 AM
  Free college for "Senior citizens" jb111 6 849 07-07-2024, 06:55 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher