Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Canadian Looking For Bachelors
Your Location: Manitoba, Canada
Your Age: 34
What kind of degree do you want?: I would prefer a BS Cybersecurity or BSBA in Marketing.  I am also looking at the BS Electrical Technology or BS Electronic Engineering Technology from TESU depending on how many credits will transfer in.  
Current Regional Accredited Credits:
Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits:  Not sure where to put this, but I have a two year diploma (I think it would be equivalent to an Associates Degree in America?) in Electric and Electronic Engineering Technology from a Canadian College/University.
Any certifications or military experience?
PMI Project Management Professional (PMP)
CompTIA A+
I have paid for the exams for CompTIA Network+, Security+ and Linux+ however have not completed them yet.  

Budget: I 'd like as cheap as possible, but would spend a bit more for fast.    
Commitments: I currently work full time.
Dedicated time to study: I would estimate most weeks I could dedicate about 15 hours, but I am off every fourth week and could dedicate 40+ hours those weeks.
Timeline: Finishing the courses required for the degree as fast as possible would be ideal.  I would like to finish within a year.
Tuition assistance/reimbursement: None, I will be paying out of pocket.  

Thank you to anyone that can help me out here!
Welcome to the board, that's a good addendum and template. Have you looked at any specific degree from UMPI, WGU, besides the TESU options? You're going in a few areas, such as Business, Cyber, Electronics, have you decided? I would start accumulating credits from Sophia.org and Study.com, create a spreadsheet of classes that go towards UMPI, WGU, TESU. You can complete the rest from the institution of choice afterwards, sometimes it's hard to pinpoint the degree... Here's a recommendation I provided a fellow Manitoban! Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...egree-plan
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • sfilipe
(06-04-2024, 12:32 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Welcome to the board, that's a good addendum and template.  Have you looked at any specific degree from UMPI, WGU, besides the TESU options?  You're going in a few areas, such as Business, Cyber, Electronics, have you decided?  I would start accumulating credits from Sophia.org and Study.com, create a spreadsheet of classes that go towards UMPI, WGU, TESU.  You can complete the rest from the institution of choice afterwards, sometimes it's hard to pinpoint the degree... Here's a recommendation I provided a fellow Manitoban!  Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...egree-plan

Thank you bjcheung77.

I would prefer either a business or cybersecurity degree, but with my background I think that electrical/electronic would be the quickest route?

I have mostly been concentrating on TESU because I read that WGU does not accept international students, but from reading more it looks like they accept some Canadians? 

Is there a list somewhere of what classes Sophia and Study.com offer and what they transfer into at each school?
There are so many different options to get to your goal, an easy option is to do the Pierpont BOG AAS with an emphasis of your choice, ladder that up to the BAS (Applied Science) with a minor or two and take 3-4 classes that go towards the MAOL. Another option is the UMPI BABA (Business Admin) PM & IS, this isn't an IS degree even though it's a PM & IS concentration, as I mentioned it's a Business Admin degree.

Another option to look into: WGU works for those who are in a few provinces, I know people who have done their programs in AB, BC, QC and ON. I don't recall anyone outside these provinces yet, you can always apply and see what they say, if you're in an area they allow or not. WGU would be my second choice over TESU unless you're doing a double degree option, TESU BACS/CIS is my recommendation if you are...

(06-04-2024, 08:05 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: There are so many different options to get to your goal, an easy option is to do the Pierpont BOG AAS with an emphasis of your choice, ladder that up to the BAS (Applied Science) with a minor or two and take 3-4 classes that go towards the MAOL.  Another option is the UMPI BABA (Business Admin) PM & IS, this isn't an IS degree even though it's a PM & IS concentration, as I mentioned it's a Business Admin degree.

Another option to look into: WGU works for those who are in a few provinces, I know people who have done their programs in AB, BC, QC and ON.  I don't recall anyone outside these provinces yet, you can always apply and see what they say, if you're in an area they allow or not.  WGU would be my second choice over TESU unless you're doing a double degree option, TESU BACS/CIS is my recommendation if you are...

I have not heard much about Pierpont.  Do they have as liberal of a transfer policy for courses from Sophia, Study, etc?  I don't see much about it on their website.  Laddering up as described does sound like something I would be very interested in.

I will apply to WG, but the UMPI BABA PM & IS degree is sparking the most interest for me.

Can I ask why you recommend these options over TESU?  

Thanks for the information.
(06-03-2024, 06:24 PM)sfilipe Wrote: Your Location: Manitoba, Canada
What kind of degree do you want?: I would prefer a BS Cybersecurity or BSBA in Marketing.  I am also looking at the BS Electrical Technology or BS Electronic Engineering Technology from TESU depending on how many credits will transfer in.  
Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits:  Not sure where to put this, but I have a two year diploma (I think it would be equivalent to an Associates Degree in America?) in Electric and Electronic Engineering Technology from a Canadian College/University.
CompTIA A+
I have paid for the exams for CompTIA Network+, Security+ and Linux+ however have not completed them yet.  

Dedicated time to study: I would estimate most weeks I could dedicate about 15 hours, but I am off every fourth week and could dedicate 40+ hours those weeks.
Timeline: Finishing the courses required for the degree as fast as possible would be ideal.  I would like to finish within a year.

If you have an interest in Technology and Marketing, then you are a good candidate to do the TESU Computer Science & BSBA Marketing double degree plan. 2 degrees would cost the same as 1 degree and take just a little bit more time. 

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan

Cybersecurity typically isn't an entry-level job, so people would generally start out doing something else, such as IT support, then gather up Cybersecurity certificates to work their way up to a cybersecurity position.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • allvia
sfilipe Wrote:I have not heard much about Pierpont.  Do they have as liberal of a transfer policy for courses from Sophia, Study, etc?  I don't see much about it on their website.  Laddering up as described does sound like something I would be very interested in.

I will apply to WG, but the UMPI BABA PM & IS degree is sparking the most interest for me.

Pierpont is 100% transfer credit, you don't take any classes from them. UMPI for the cost, ease, speed to finish. WGU for specific degrees that aren't offered at UMPI. TESU if you want to get a double degree. Take your time to review posts, threads, and the WIKI for more info on each and every one of these institutions mentioned.

(06-10-2024, 01:28 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(06-03-2024, 06:24 PM)sfilipe Wrote: Your Location: Manitoba, Canada
CompTIA A+

If you have an interest in Technology and Marketing, then you are a good candidate to do the TESU Computer Science & BSBA Marketing double degree plan. 2 degrees would cost the same as 1 degree and take just a little bit more time. 

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan

Cybersecurity typically isn't an entry-level job, so people would generally start out doing something else, such as IT support, then gather up Cybersecurity certificates to work their way up to a cybersecurity position.

Okay, I see what bjcheung77 was talking about, TESU is best for getting two degrees.  I am going to look into this more, but my goal currently is finishing ASAP.  

(06-10-2024, 02:53 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
sfilipe Wrote:I have not heard much about Pierpont.  Do they have as liberal of a transfer policy for courses from Sophia, Study, etc?  I don't see much about it on their website.  Laddering up as described does sound like something I would be very interested in.

Pierpont is 100% transfer credit, you don't take any classes from them.  UMPI for the cost, ease, speed to finish.  WGU for specific degrees that aren't offered at UMPI.  TESU if you want to get a double degree.  Take your time to review posts, threads, and the WIKI for more info on each and every one of these institutions mentioned.

From what you have described, Pierpont laddering into UMPI sounds like the best option so far.  

Do you (or anyone) know if there is a way to get my Canadian credits transferred into Pierpont/UMPI?  TESU recommended these agencies (https://acei-global.org/http://www.iescaree.comhttp://www.ece.orghttp://www.wes.orghttp://www.sdreducational.orghttp://www.spantran.com or http://www.transcriptresearch.com/), but I haven't seen anything listed on Pierpont or UMPI's website.  Pierpont sounds like it might do their own audit of credit based on what the wiki says about them: "You should already have at least 60 credits that you can transfer to Pierpont. However, Nancy Parks will encourage you to apply, so she can audit you and see where you stand, if you have less than 60.".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bachelors Degree Planning Guidance intergalacticyam 2 52 1 hour ago
Last Post: intergalacticyam
  Degree Advise/plan Wanted for a Canadian Student nbid 10 509 09-12-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  aiming for acupuncture degree, need help with CBE bachelors plan teadrinker000 16 600 09-01-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
Big Grin Speedy and Inexpensive Bachelors ATM925 7 962 08-25-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: ATM925
  Next Steps for Bachelors liz0814 8 826 07-12-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Engineering/Physics/Applied Science Bachelors NotJoeBiden 7 840 05-18-2024, 11:44 PM
Last Post: karehiro
  Help creating a degree plan for education bachelors. System360 9 618 05-18-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: allvia
  New Member looking to plan out Bachelors in finance Thelifenfc 8 599 05-13-2024, 03:37 PM
  Newbie looking for efficient path to bachelors degree Santi 2 407 05-09-2024, 09:24 AM
  Canadian 90 credit BA -> any 120 credit BA rarebird 4 575 05-07-2024, 01:59 AM