Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
aiming for acupuncture degree, need help with CBE bachelors plan
hey all, i'm looking to make a plan to get a bachelors as quickly as possible, however i can only use 30 clep credits due to graduate school reqs. i cannot clep any of the STEM classes other than math. i need to have the following to apply to the masters/doctorate program in Tradtional Chinese Medicine:

intro to physics or conceptual physics
general biology (no lab req)
general chemistry (nursing or health aligned preferable)
intro to psychology
stats or college algebra

would be nice to have:
organic chem
inorganic chem
biochem
anthropology
public speaking

was looking at taking a few universal learner courses from ASU and doing a BA in psych with UMPI but i cannot seem to make this jive with the sciences i need. all advice is welcome and thanks in advance!
You could fill a few gen eds and then the electives section of that UMPI degree with courses that would meet your graduate school needs. Check out Portage Learning courses, transcripted by Geneva College.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • teadrinker000
(08-28-2024, 09:08 PM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote: You could fill a few gen eds and then the electives section of that UMPI degree with courses that would meet your graduate school needs. Check out Portage Learning courses, transcripted by Geneva College.
problem is, umpi doesn't offer the needed classes via yourpace, the catalog is pretty limited science wise.. i was just looking at portage, this might help fill a gap or two for sure!
Community colleges in New Mexico have fairly low tuition at a lot of them offer science classes online. I have been a student at New Mexico Junior college, they definitely have the biology classes you are looking for.

Does 30 credit maximum for CLEP also mean 30 credit maximum for any alternative credits?

Thomas Edison State university offers TECEP exams, which provide RA credit for taking exams that align with certain courses in their catalog. Public speaking is a choice for that, they also have a biology test that may or may not meet your needs. I believe they also have stats and maybe algebra. The test come out to about 150 or $175 for three credits.
[-] The following 1 user Likes wow's post:
  • teadrinker000
(08-28-2024, 10:52 PM)wow Wrote: Community colleges in New Mexico have fairly low tuition at a lot of them offer science classes online. I have been a student at New Mexico Junior college, they definitely have the biology classes you are looking for.

Does 30 credit maximum for CLEP also mean 30 credit maximum for any alternative credits?

Thomas Edison State university offers TECEP exams, which provide RA credit for taking exams that align with certain courses in their catalog. Public speaking is a choice for that, they also have a biology test that may or may not meet your needs. I believe they also have stats and maybe algebra. The test come out to about 150 or $175 for three credits.

i was just thinking about taking some CC classes online to get this started, haven't dug in yet so i'm not sure whats available to me here in hawaii

30 credit max on all alt credits, this is a req of the california acupuncture board, and i'll have to take their exam to get licensed. 

i only technically need 60 credits to start the program so i'm debating just not even getting a degree and building a transcript with what i need
(08-28-2024, 08:57 PM)teadrinker000 Wrote: hey all, i'm looking to make a plan to get a bachelors as quickly as possible, however i can only use 30 clep credits due to graduate school reqs. i cannot clep any of the STEM classes other than math. i need to have the following to apply to the masters/doctorate program in Tradtional Chinese Medicine:

intro to psychology
stats or college algebra

would be nice to have:
organic chem
inorganic chem
biochem
anthropology
public speaking

was looking at taking a few universal learner courses from ASU and doing a BA in psych with UMPI but i cannot seem to make this jive with the sciences i need. all advice is welcome and thanks in advance!

UMPI does not offer any of these sciences in YourPace. These sciences have labs and you're going to need hands on experience with acupuncture so your best bet may be a local community college where you can take the labs in person.
OP, have you looked at the wiki? Lots of info there on getting RA credits. Two pages to start you off: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sources_of_Credit (scroll down to Examples of Colleges Offering Distance Learning Courses) and https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Obscure_Credits. I've already recommended NMJC; I believe New Mexico State University-Alamogordo also has a good selection of science courses.

Since you're from Hawaii, you might qualify for reduced tuition through Western undergraduate exchange: https://www.wiche.edu/tuition-savings/ (Some colleges reserve the discount only for enrolled students and not guest students).
[-] The following 1 user Likes wow's post:
  • teadrinker000
@teadrinker000, Welcome to the board, you've provided a bit of information about what you're trying to accomplish but the details on the addendum and template would have been helpful in providing a bigger overview of your scenario. Is that California school DEAC or RA? I've looked at acupuncture, alternative or holistic health, and TCM schools before... Please fill in the details as an updated reply: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • teadrinker000
(08-28-2024, 08:57 PM)teadrinker000 Wrote: hey all, i'm looking to make a plan to get a bachelors as quickly as possible, however i can only use 30 clep credits due to graduate school reqs. i cannot clep any of the STEM classes other than math. i need to have the following to apply to the masters/doctorate program in Tradtional Chinese Medicine:

intro to psychology
stats or college algebra

would be nice to have:
organic chem
inorganic chem
biochem
anthropology
public speaking

was looking at taking a few universal learner courses from ASU (bio and chem) and doing a BA in psych with UMPI but i cannot seem to make this jive with the sciences i need. all advice is welcome and thanks in advance!

Your Location: hawaii
Your Age: 39
What kind of degree do you want?: associates or bachelors ( will enroll in five branches university masters/doctorate after )
Current Regional Accredited Credits: none
Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: none
Any certifications or military experience?: no
Budget: as cheap as possible, i will be getting a full pell grant
Commitments: i have plenty of free time right now
Dedicated time to study: should be able to do 40+ hours a week
Timeline: as fast as possible
Tuition assistance/reimbursement: pell grant

tentative study plan spreadsheet  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing
Are you going for the UMPI BLS and getting extra credits? Three things that you want to investigate:
1) Accreditation for Five Branches University, I think they're only state approved, yet also have some other programmatic/secondary approval for some programs
2) The cost of the program at Five Branches, they actually offer a dual program, but it's $70K USD for 3-4 years of your time.
3) Investigate alternative options that are DEAC accredited, some may also have similar programmatic/secondary accreditation or approval for their programs
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello Everyone, How Does My Degree Plan Look? karlvon 3 97 5 hours ago
Last Post: LevelUP
  recommendation for fastest bachelor degree? BrendaB 4 139 Yesterday, 08:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree plan wanted for UK student (CS) FungiTao 1 82 Yesterday, 07:42 PM
  TESU BA Math and CS Degree Planning thornytumbleweed 9 277 Yesterday, 02:42 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Looking for advice on choosing a degree for a career change frankc 13 884 Yesterday, 07:33 AM
Last Post: Obrajnick
Question Help with Degree Planning Samhain408 5 245 09-12-2024, 11:14 PM
  Degree Advise/plan Wanted for a Canadian Student nbid 10 485 09-12-2024, 11:12 PM
  UMPI BLS degree planning advice MCMDF79 9 321 09-12-2024, 11:02 PM
  Degree planning help coachteach 3 103 09-12-2024, 08:05 PM
  SNHU Masters Degree RoliJoli 3 199 09-11-2024, 10:42 AM
Last Post: LevelUP