Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bad news, Everybody!
vanglorious Wrote:I signed into MyEC and saw that I had applied (paid the $75 application fee) a few years ago in the middle of moving. I didn't request any transcripts be sent but I did ask to be put in their payment plan (I think). Would I have to pay the application fee twice?

Also, I've read recent posts about the Psych subject exam and study aides. Could someone one point me to the same type of info for the Bio exam?
Concerning the application fee, yes, you'll have to pay again because you did not enroll within one year.

There are lots of Biology threads out there. If you're paying for IC, you have access to the 800+ flashcards and the Specific Exam Feedback Forum, which has a special Biology thread in it. Hope the test goes well!

R.
[SIZE="1"]American Government (68) ~ Analyzing & Interpreting Literature (70) ~ Art of the Western World (72) ~ Astronomy (66) ~ ENG407: Chaucer (A) ~ Civil War & Reconstruction (69) ~ College Algebra (62) ~ College Mathematics (73) ~ College Writing (A) ~ English Composition with Essay (59) ~ GRE Literature in English (610/73%tile) ~ Humanities (75) ~ Introduction to Business (62) ~ Introduction to Computing (459) ~ Introduction to Educational Psychology (72) ~ Introduction to World Religions (478) ~ Introductory Psychology (74) ~ Money & Banking (48) ~ Research & Writing (A) ~ Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union (68) ~ ENG 310: Short Stories (A) ~ Introductory Sociology (77) ~ Social Sciences & History (76) ~ Technical Writing (67) ~ US History I (69) ~ US History II (64) ~ Western Civilization I (76) ~ Western Civilization II (65) Western Europe Since 1945 (65) ~ Exam Feedback

Total Credits: 121 ~ DONE: Literature in English BA from Excelsior College[/SIZE]
vanglorious Wrote:Hello,

I signed into MyEC and saw that I had applied (paid the $75 application fee) a few years ago in the middle of moving. I didn't request any transcripts be sent but I did ask to be put in their payment plan (I think). Would I have to pay the application fee twice?

Thanks in advance

You should email Excelsior and tell them you want to waive the unofficial evaluation/ application fee and want to register immediately before July. You might mention you paid it already. I got my unofficial evaluation done a year and half - almost two years ago. I emailed them and told them I wanted to register immediately before July so that I could be under the old requirements. They were fine about it and less then a week later I was enrolled. A couple of other people on this forum have also requested the same thing from Excelsior.

On a side note, they still had my old transcripts after almost 2 years! I was so excited not to have to resubmit them! And my new ones from ACE and DSST have already arrived. I am just waiting for my official evaluation now,
with luck, I will graduate in October.
vanglorious Wrote:Hello,
I'm new and I have questions regarding the GRE as well as reduced enrollment fees via joining a partner organization. I just read (today) that someone joined POAG. I want to join as an associate but the only online option is joining as an active member. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to fill out that online application unless it's valid for both associate & active members.

If I am able to join online, can I in theory join POAG tomorrow and then call Excelsior and mention my membership and pay the reduced enrollment fee? Also, can one pay that fee ($150) in multiple payments? I have an expensive training course I have to pay for soon and need to save as much as possible.

I signed into MyEC and saw that I had applied (paid the $75 application fee) a few years ago in the middle of moving. I didn't request any transcripts be sent but I did ask to be put in their payment plan (I think). Would I have to pay the application fee twice?

Also, I've read recent posts about the Psych subject exam and study aides. Could someone one point me to the same type of info for the Bio exam?

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum!

The situation with the POAG website sounds familiar. I think if you search the forum you will be able to find the answer to that question.

I am not aware of anyone on this forum taking the Biology GRE recently. I do know that Sunshine just completed a Biology major through coursework and is considering taking the Biology GRE for graduate school admission. Alissaroot posted some helpful links in the specific exam feedback section. There is also the GRE Subject Test Forums with discussions about each exam - GRE Subject Tests Please keep us updated on your progress; I'm sure it will help others to learn from your experience with it.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Ok, thanks for the advice I'll contact Excelsior.

cde Wrote:You should email Excelsior and tell them you want to waive the unofficial evaluation/ application fee and want to register immediately before July. You might mention you paid it already. I got my unofficial evaluation done a year and half - almost two years ago. I emailed them and told them I wanted to register immediately before July so that I could be under the old requirements. They were fine about it and less then a week later I was enrolled. A couple of other people on this forum have also requested the same thing from Excelsior.

On a side note, they still had my old transcripts after almost 2 years! I was so excited not to have to resubmit them! And my new ones from ACE and DSST have already arrived. I am just waiting for my official evaluation now,
with luck, I will graduate in October.
As of July 8th, I learned that no changes have been made to the GRE policy. The situation is still under consideration. I am not sure what the implications of this are, like for the GREs this fall or when the next time is (January 1st?) that official policies can be set.

Be sure to check with Excelsior because this opportunity may still be available!
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
NAP Wrote:As of July 8th, I learned that no changes have been made to the GRE policy. The situation is still under consideration. I am not sure what the implications of this are, like for the GREs this fall or when the next time is (January 1st?) that official policies can be set.

Be sure to check with Excelsior because this opportunity may still be available!

Next GREs subject test offerings are in October & November.
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Bachelor of Science in PsychoRabbitology degree
Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully
I found this on another forum, but I've yet to see any Official Announcement from EC to this effect -
Excelsior gives ZERO credit for GRE as of Sept 1, 2011 - DegreeInfo Distance Learning - online degree forum

Quote:Excelsior College will no longer grant credit to
any student enrolling on or after September 1, 2010,
for any GRE Subject Test. This
decision was approved by the Academic Affairs
Council on August 11, 2010.

Should any currently enrolled student wish to use
GRE Subject credit, they will need to contact their
advisor and have an official GRE transcript sent in
by September 1, 2011.

I'd check with admissions/academic advisors before totally freaking out, but if this is true, people have until Tuesday to enroll, and that gives 3 last test dates to sit for the Subject tests, that they'll take - Oct/Nov/April.
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully
I want to confirm that I received the notice directly from Excelsior, as stated in the last message:

Quote:Excelsior College will no longer grant credit to any student enrolling on or after September 1, 2010, for any GRE Subject Test. This decision was approved by the Academic Affairs Council on August 11, 2010.

Should any currently enrolled student wish to use GRE Subject credit, they will need to contact their advisor and have an official GRE transcript sent in by September 1, 2011.

I ended up deciding to not do the GRE and spent the summer taking other exams and two classes...it definitely costs more money to do it that way. I feel for Math majors who have fewer options. For me, I decided that individual classes/exams might be better received if I apply for graduate school, as they can see exactly what I studied.
Alix

[SIZE="1"]Excelsior College, B.S. in Liberal Studies (awaiting conferral)
Traditional College: 46 credits
Exams taken: 75 credits
May 2008: A&I Literature-78, General Anthropology-70 (A), Info Sys & Comp. Apps-73, American Government-60, Technical Writing-67 (A), Principles of Supervision-65 (A), Fundamentals of Counseling-68 (A), Drug & Alcohol Abuse-66 (A), Principles of Marketing-73
June 2008: Biology-73, MIS-58 (A)
April 2010: Intro to Business-444, Intro to Computers-466, ALEKS Statistics for Behavioral Science
May 2010: Civil War & Reconstruction-70 (A)
June 2010: Intro to Psych-78, Research Methods-A, Intro to Educ. Psych-72, Foundations of Education- (A)
July 2010: World Population-A
August 2010: Abnormal Psychology-A, Social Psychology-A
August 2010: Psychology of Adulthood & Aging-A
[/SIZE]
Had booked in for the psychology subject gre in november. $160! All those study guides which haven't even arrived yet! Bahhh. Things are never easy.
[SIZE="1"]
Bachelor of Science in Psychology, Excelsior College 2012
Master of Arts in International Relations, Staffordshire University, UK - in progress

Aleks
All courses taken, 12 credits applied
CLEP
A&I Literature (74), Intro Sociology (72), Info Systems and Computer Apps (67), Humanities (70), English Literature (65), American Literature (51), Principles of Mangement (65), Principles of Marketing (71)
DSST
Management Information Systems (469), Intro to Computing (461)
Excelsior College
Information Literacy, International Terrorism (A), Contemporary Middle East History (A), Discrete Structures (A), Social Science Capstone (A)
GRE Subject Test
Psychology (93rd percentile, 750 scaled score)
Straighterline
English Composition I&II, Economics I&II, Accounting I&II, General Calculus I, Business Communication

Progress history[/SIZE]
irnbru Wrote:Had booked in for the psychology subject gre in november. $160! All those study guides which haven't even arrived yet! Bahhh. Things are never easy.

BTW - Kaplan's GRE Subject Psych book is free through iBooks until 8/31. If you've got a iPod Touch, iPhone, or Apple, snag it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice for TESC's TECEPs: Public Relations, Intro to News Reporting or Marketing Com? tickledpink 11 2,061 07-15-2015, 04:02 PM
Last Post: scribbler
  Great news JJ65 5 977 04-24-2014, 01:24 PM
Last Post: rmonte
  Bad news for my TESC degree Snickerdoodle 50 4,716 03-03-2013, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Snickerdoodle
  Applying soon to TESC BA Liberal Arts (NEWS FLASH: Must Read) bldclot2 10 1,317 03-28-2012, 03:54 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  U.S. News info on Big 3 IrishJohn 11 1,615 02-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Last Post: perriquit
  News Flash!!!!!! Excelsior Capstone bldclot2 4 894 12-30-2011, 02:39 AM
Last Post: bldclot2
  Good news about TESC math/natural science ryoder 8 1,962 03-20-2011, 11:17 PM
Last Post: Yenisei
  got my inital assessment back from Ecelsior and COSC...not good news ! rebel100 3 1,208 11-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Last Post: GoodYellowDogs
  Worst...news...ever betch 10 2,531 06-23-2010, 06:45 AM
Last Post: betch
  Bad News--Excelsior Unofficial Evaluation mlwilliamsiv 19 3,840 04-01-2009, 11:47 AM
Last Post: malcs