Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Armour College
In my never ending quest to find a security guard AS that can be picked up cheaply, I ran across this place:

http://armourcollege.org/programs/

Can't seem to find anything about them, and there are several things that concern me. Headed out to fight the heathens at the grocery store, will check back in later!
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

The school itself is non-accredited, so that's an automatic no go imo.

they claim their their training has programmatic accreditation, but i don't know anything about the security guard world so i have no idea if it's legit or even worthwhile.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I know a lot about the security guard world, and security guard degrees aren't a thing. You get the training at a place that is authorized by your state. Security companies will hire anyone with a GED and no criminal record.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
There is an industry certificate for hospital security guards. None of the security guards at the hospital I worked at had it when hired, but some got it to qualify as shift lead and make $2 more an hour. I am not certain,but I think the hospital paid or reimbursed for the certificate cost. Other regulated industries might offer similar certificates from professional organizations.
(12-23-2017, 01:26 PM)jsd Wrote: The school itself is non-accredited, so that's an automatic no go imo.

they claim their their training has programmatic accreditation, but i don't know anything about the security guard world so i have no idea if it's legit or even worthwhile.

Yeah, there's a lot of weasel wording, and googling them didn't really do anything for me, so I'll keep looking. Not interested in the UoP degree, and not sure what I'd have to do to get the Kaplan one; wish the BoG would offer something. There's a couple of guard organizations with some young people that would pay for a degree like that. (shrugs)
Angel 
Three Rivers CC 2017

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

link

There are security management degree programs, but not security guard degree programs. Security management programs are for those who want to work in management. G4S, one of the largest security companies in the world, has higher level security positions that either require military or law enforcement experience or an associates in criminal justice. Criminal justice degrees are still the most common in the security field.

Penn Foster, and possibly Ashworth, offer non-credit, certificate programs for security guards who want to gain more knowledge, but these have very little value on the job market.

I don't even see an AS on the page you linked to. Those are just continuing education courses. That place is more like a training provider than a college.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Here's one geared to the guard: https://www.fvtc.edu/program/public-safe...management

there are a few more. I haven't found one I like enough, yet.

I will say, I actually agree with your assessment of the... uh, school. They are trying to appear like a college, but seem to do nothing besides repackage ConEd / state license courses.

Well, they're on the board here, now. Maybe others searching will be able to flesh it out more.
Angel 
Three Rivers CC 2017

link

I don't understand the purpose of searching so hard for this type of degree. If it had any value, there would be demand and schools trying to meet that demand. Most people get a criminal justice degree and call it a day. Getting a degree for security, other management,  is overkill. This is a very low-paying field. The high-paying jobs want military or law enforcement experience and certifications, not security degrees.

Security is very basic work that requires a week of training and is mostly learned on the job. You don't need a degree to learn how to watch CCTVs and check doors.

I'm looking at the Fox Valley Technical College program, and the only courses you can't find in a CJ or homeland security program are the alarm installation courses. Security guards don't do alarm installation, though.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(12-24-2017, 06:43 PM)sanantone Wrote: I don't understand the purpose of searching so hard for this type of degree. If it had any value, there would be demand and schools trying to meet that demand. Most people get a criminal justice degree and call it a day. Getting a degree for security, other management,  is overkill. This is a very low-paying field. The high-paying jobs want military or law enforcement experience and certifications, not security degrees.

Security is very basic work that requires a week of training and is mostly learned on the job. You don't need a degree to learn how to watch CCTVs and check doors.

I'm looking at the Fox Valley Technical College program, and the only courses you can't find in a CJ or homeland security program are the alarm installation courses. Security guards don't do alarm installation, though.

I'm with you on this.  It's kind of senseless - to find a degree program for a job that basically pays minimum wage.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Private security and policing is undergoing a transformation. Unarmed guards are going away.

Not all security is as sanantone describes, but it's what people envision when they think 'security'.

The reason employers ask for law enforcement or military experience / credentials is because there is no real security guard college path. Criminal justice degrees are useless.

I have always been a forward thinker in education in my career field. I'd like a painless as possible, low-cost two year degree with the word security in it. Maybe a diploma, now that I think about it. It makes sense to me, and it makes sense to others in my culture, rounding out my academic credentials.

If all you see it as is a low-paying, simple job, none of what I say is going to make any sense to you.

(12-23-2017, 09:10 PM)DavidHume Wrote: There is an industry certificate for hospital security guards.

Sorry I missed this.

You're right, there is a credential for professional hospital guards. There's also one for hospitality guards, and a general one for protection officers, too. It's a great study in how things change. Few know or assign weight to the protection officer certification, but most JACHO hospitals recognize the hospital ones.

As time goes on, the need for professionally educated guards will grow, and not simply military or law enforcement rehashes. It's coming; I wish I had the time and resources to be in on the ground level of it. (shrugs) Maybe I will...
Angel 
Three Rivers CC 2017

link

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ACCUMULATING ACCOUNTING CREDITS for CPA - WHAT COLLEGE TO USE AND FROM WHOM? germ 9 2,921 09-27-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: turbotortuga
  Free College Hack - Italian or Hungarian Ancestry nykorn 8 820 09-27-2024, 03:37 PM
Last Post: naet
  2025 - College Rankings, 5 ups and 5 downs bjcheung77 0 200 09-25-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit bjcheung77 17 175,036 09-16-2024, 07:29 PM
  Freshman College Comp w/essay mom2school 13 2,878 09-14-2024, 07:37 AM
Last Post: upgradelately
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 18 2,429 08-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: wow
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,505 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  College or university isn't what it's cracked up to be... bjcheung77 3 500 07-14-2024, 10:58 AM
  Free college for "Senior citizens" jb111 6 891 07-07-2024, 06:55 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Next Frontier for College Sports: Cornhole Scholarships LevelUP 1 331 07-01-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: lisarox