Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternatives to Pierpont BOG
(08-25-2024, 08:07 PM)Rhonda Wrote: I have tried more than a dozen times to verify my identity using my ID and passport, but the page keeps indicating that my identity cannot be verified. My other Chinese friends also cannot verify their identity with their Chinese IDs or Chinese passports, but they were able to pass the verification using long-term residence cards from other countries and received their student accounts and passwords. I feel very depressed Sad

Does a Chinese passport have enough English on it so an American can verify your identity by reading it?  Do you live in a country where you can get an ID in English?  Where I live the motor vehicles office provides non driver's license IDs so people can prove their age to drink in bars.  You need to talk to a human.  Try phoning their admissions people.
(08-25-2024, 11:25 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: All international students are accepted, did you specifically apply for the Pierpont BOG AAS program and get accepted?  There aren't many other WV programs available to go for, there was Blue Ridge and WVNCC and others, but you'll most likely come across the same issue.  Why are they needing to verify your identity?  Many people from Asia, including China/India have gone on to get this... You don't need any Visa for online programs, you're not studying at Pierpont for their BOG AAS, I believe you selected the wrong program (like a few other people).

That's not true. Now everyone, no matter who they are, must go through a verification system called Persona. This is Pierpont's latest requirement. However, this system cannot verify Chinese documents. I asked their staff, and Pierpont asked me to go to the American campus and take my passport to verify my identity on the spot. Hahahaha, you know, this is very difficult to do.

(08-25-2024, 11:33 AM)Pikachu Wrote: Is a passport not allowed at the ID verification stage for Chinese nationals? I'm not Chinese but I remember it showed me that passport was one of the options available.

You can try to select China, and you will find that they cannot verify any documents from mainland China. Please select documents from other countries to continue authentication.

(08-25-2024, 11:42 AM)wow Wrote: No judgment intended, but if you sent them 30 unsolicited emails, it's likely that they have categorized you as difficult to deal with and therefore have decided not to deal with you. Perhaps the reaction in China would have been different-- I don't know, I've never lived there-- but at a certain point most Americans will perceive that kind of persistence as harassment and block someone or at least refuse to interact further.

UMPI has many options other than the BAS, so you might just want to consider a different UMPI degree instead. You can transfer up to 90 credits to any of those degrees.

I see. I will pay attention to this next time. Haha. I am very sorry for doing this. It really troubled the Pierpont staff.

(08-25-2024, 08:58 PM)Old Guy Wrote:
(08-25-2024, 08:07 PM)Rhonda Wrote: I have tried more than a dozen times to verify my identity using my ID and passport, but the page keeps indicating that my identity cannot be verified. My other Chinese friends also cannot verify their identity with their Chinese IDs or Chinese passports, but they were able to pass the verification using long-term residence cards from other countries and received their student accounts and passwords. I feel very depressed Sad

Does a Chinese passport have enough English on it so an American can verify your identity by reading it?  Do you live in a country where you can get an ID in English?  Where I live the motor vehicles office provides non driver's license IDs so people can prove their age to drink in bars.  You need to talk to a human.  Try phoning their admissions people.

Chinese passports are written in Chinese and English, and anyone who knows one of these languages can understand them. They asked me to go to the campus to verify my Chinese passport, because Persona cannot verify documents from mainland China, but you also understand that I can't go to the United States at all.
(08-29-2024, 10:09 PM)Jin Wang Wrote:
(08-25-2024, 08:58 PM)Old Guy Wrote: Does a Chinese passport have enough English on it so an American can verify your identity by reading it?  Do you live in a country where you can get an ID in English?  Where I live the motor vehicles office provides non driver's license IDs so people can prove their age to drink in bars.  You need to talk to a human.  Try phoning their admissions people.

Chinese passports are written in Chinese and English, and anyone who knows one of these languages can understand them. They asked me to go to the campus to verify my Chinese passport, because Persona cannot verify documents from mainland China, but you also understand that I can't go to the United States at all.
That's unfortunate.  They kept expanding the program until they decided to kill it.  There is a real need for alternative programs.  Excelsior, Charter Oak, and Thomas Edison used to grant bachelor's degrees entirely from CLEP, DSST, ACE, NCCR, and some other courses.  At Excelsior's prior iteration you could get 30 credits and a second bachelors by passing a subject area GRE with a high score.  I am not sure whether it was greed or accreditors that killed it all.
(08-30-2024, 05:35 AM)Old Guy Wrote:
(08-29-2024, 10:09 PM)Jin Wang Wrote:
(08-25-2024, 08:58 PM)Old Guy Wrote: Does a Chinese passport have enough English on it so an American can verify your identity by reading it?  Do you live in a country where you can get an ID in English?  Where I live the motor vehicles office provides non driver's license IDs so people can prove their age to drink in bars.  You need to talk to a human.  Try phoning their admissions people.

That's unfortunate.  They kept expanding the program until they decided to kill it.  There is a real need for alternative programs.  Excelsior, Charter Oak, and Thomas Edison used to grant bachelor's degrees entirely from CLEP, DSST, ACE, NCCR, and some other courses.  You could get 30 credits and a second bachelors by passing a subject area GRE with a high score.  I am not sure whether it was greed or accreditors that killed it all.

so glad we are fortunate enough to have had this opportunity. this is a true reminder of the fact that opportunities come and go. best to catch them while we can!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pierpont BOG requirement / register before 10/4/24 Jkjy 29 1,751 2 hours ago
Last Post: delvin
  Pierpont BOG Associates - speedrun before residency changes millionwords 22 1,110 5 hours ago
Last Post: millionwords
  Pierpont BOG Progress AirborneAgent 10 1,163 Yesterday, 05:38 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Anyone Have Issues Transferring Earned College Credits to Pierpont? Gumbeaux 20 3,570 09-13-2024, 08:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Rest in peace, Pierpont BOG AAS? Robson 10 842 09-13-2024, 02:17 PM
Last Post: slaterjack
  Pierpont BOG inkwell 2 201 09-12-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Pierpont BOG / 1 credit needed intheprocess 7 516 09-09-2024, 01:44 PM
Last Post: DThomas
  new here applied to Pierpont and Umpi doctorTorres 24 1,440 09-04-2024, 01:12 AM
Last Post: doctorTorres
  Pierpont new residency requirement homeschoolmom1 59 6,130 09-02-2024, 05:48 PM
Last Post: ElderlyLeemur
  Sophia to Pierpont The need 2 learn 45 7,206 08-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: Tonyoliver097