Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Affirmative Action for Males is Still Legal
Even though males are not a historically oppressed group, and we still live in a patriarchy, some institutions of higher education have implemented Affirmative Action for male applicants. In high school, female students have higher grades, complete more credits, participate in more extracurricular activities, and take more challenging courses. Women also apply to college, attend college, graduate from college, and graduate with honors at higher rates than men do. This has led to some institutions setting gender quotas and/or applying higher standards for female applicants.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-com...on-for-men
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(05-23-2024, 09:51 PM)sanantone Wrote: ...and we still live in a patriarchy, [...] In high school, female students have higher grades, complete more credits, participate in more extracurricular activities, and take more challenging courses. Women also apply to college, attend college, graduate from college, and graduate with honors at higher rates than men do.

It is impressive the mythical patriarchy allowed this to happen.
No one had to allow anything to happen. According to a survey conducted by Pew, men are not attending college as much as women are because they simply don't want to. Black and white thinking gets some people into trouble because they don't understand spectrums. While some societies have moved closer to egalitarianism, the vast majority of human societies still lean toward the patriarchal side. If lineage is still passed via the male line, it is a patriarchy. It is still the case in American society that most children will take their father's surname. If most of the politicians and executives are men, even though women outnumber men in a country, then it is still a patriarchy.

pa·tri·arch·y
noun
a system of society or government in which the father or eldest male is head of the family and descent is traced through the male line.
"the thematic relationships of the ballad are worked out according to the conventional archetypes of the patriarchy"
a system of society or government in which men hold the power and women are largely excluded from it.
"the dominant ideology of patriarchy"
a society or community organized on patriarchal lines.
plural noun: patriarchies
"we live in a patriarchy"

Dichotomous thinking is a trait of autism spectrum disorder, which is, ironically, a spectrum. Those with autism spectrum disorder also tend to stress over alignment and orderliness.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • rachel83az, ss20ts
(05-30-2024, 12:39 PM)Ares Wrote: Men are not attending college because they learn quicker than women it is a waste of money and they can earn just as much money without a degree or by learning a trade.

You don't understand anything about economics or functioning societies.

Most of the politicians and executives are men because they are better at those jobs. Any company can at any time go ahead and hire only women but they would likely quickly go out of business.

You don't research anything, do you? On average, men with degrees earn substantially more than men without degrees. Also, up until recently, there has been a steep decline in men pursuing skilled trades. No matter how fast you learn, you can't become an engineer, physician, attorney, or CPA without post-secondary education. Not to mention that, in societies where women are no longer restricted from pursuing education, they now have higher average IQ scores than men. That seems to correlate with women now performing better than men in academics.

I'm starting to think you're a troll, so I'm just going to ignore you from now on. You say the absolute dumbest things. I don’t know what your sex is, but I hope you aren't one of those, supposedly, intellectually superior males because you are not representing them well. I guess this should be expected since people on the far right tend to have below average cognitive scores.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • davewill, rachel83az
(05-30-2024, 01:18 PM)sanantone Wrote: I'm starting to think you're a troll, so I'm just going to ignore you from now on. ...
I have to agree. It's almost impossible to construe their message as anything but intentionally offensive.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(05-30-2024, 01:18 PM)sanantone Wrote: Not to mention that, in societies where women are no longer restricted from pursuing education, they now have higher average IQ scores than men.

Sure they do, and yet they still suck at chess.
(05-30-2024, 01:37 PM)Ares Wrote:
(05-30-2024, 01:18 PM)sanantone Wrote: Not to mention that, in societies where women are no longer restricted from pursuing education, they now have higher average IQ scores than men.

That's like saying that non-Russians suck at chess. It reflects something about the popularity of high-level competitive chess among Russians (or likewise males) relative to its unpopularity among others. It doesn't indicate Russian (or likewise male) superiority in any other domain.
(05-30-2024, 01:49 PM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote:
(05-30-2024, 01:37 PM)Ares Wrote:

That's like saying that non-Russians suck at chess. It reflects something about the popularity of high-level competitive chess among Russians (or likewise males) relative to its unpopularity among others. It doesn't indicate Russian (or likewise male) superiority in any other domain.

I had no idea Magnus Carlsen and Bobby Fisher were Russian. When was the last time a Russian was world champion? No what it shows is men have higher IQs than women.
The ignore list is a useful tool.
Completed: HAU MBA | BA Economics (US) | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
(05-30-2024, 01:54 PM)Ares Wrote: No what it shows is men have higher IQs than women.

Which gender predominates in the championship levels of a board game hobby is a terrible proxy for IQ.

"Ares introduces increasingly ridiculous proxies for IQ" is a recurring topic on DegreeForum. Previously you treated MCAT scores and undergraduate GPAs as proxies for IQ. You could have noticed that they aren't even good proxies for each other – that's why the measures are consistently used together, because they measure different things. And IQ measures a third different thing in turn.

And now that someone's noted women have high IQs (and high grades), you've reached for a new and even sillier proxy for IQ.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • rachel83az, sanantone

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  In Rare Alliance, Democrats and Republicans Seek Legal Power to Clear Homeless Camps LevelUP 8 1,548 06-28-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Elon Musk ends legal battle and buys Twitter for $44 billion! bjcheung77 13 1,653 10-26-2022, 06:14 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Black Widow Movie: Action Packed! bjcheung77 6 1,135 07-18-2021, 01:22 AM
Last Post: Randyj512
  Car wash damaged my car! Do I have any legal recourse? sanantone 11 2,304 07-13-2014, 07:43 PM
Last Post: soliloquy
  Grant Legal Status to Romeikes-Homeschool Petition TayTay 17 3,030 04-15-2013, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley