Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Strayer Challenge Exams
Has anyone taken one lately? They use to be open book and unproctored. I know that they are being done via ProctorU now and am wondering if they are still open book.
Never heard of these before, but I would be very suspicious of anything related to Strayer, they are a predatory institution very similiar to UofP.

What sort of titles, cost, and standing do the exams hold?
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Contact strayer. It is legit. You get a credit that is regionally accreditted.
A.A.S. IN RESPIRATORY CARE (LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE): 2007
A.A. IN SOCIAL SCIENCE (LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE): 2015
B.S.A.S.T IN RESPIRATORY CARE (TESU) 2015
rebel100 Wrote:Never heard of these before, but I would be very suspicious of anything related to Strayer, they are a predatory institution very similiar to UofP.
Those are strong words -- can you back them up? I took a few courses through them and had a good experience. Granted that this was a long time ago, but they were already a publicly traded and rapidly growing institution at that time.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
out of curiosity are these exams that can be taken to other institutions, specifically the big 3.
AAS in Environmental Safety & Security Technologies from TESC - Completed 2014
and BA Emergency & Disaster Mgmt at American Military University with a minor in Security Management - Completed

Completed:
FEMA: 20 credit hours, B&M: 33 credit hours, AARTS: 14 credit hours, certifications
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpret. Literature CLEP - 66, English Composition Modular CLEP - 58, American Government CLEP - 58, Social Sciences & History CLEP - 63
DSST: Intro to Computing DSST - 452
Straighterline: Business Ethics (88%), Criminal Justice (94%), World Religions (93%), Cultural Anthropology (92%), Intro to Sociology (94%)
TECEP: CIS 107, ENGL 102, PSY 270, BIO 208
So I finally found someone at Strayer that knows about the process, etc.

The Strayer Challenge Exams are no longer open book. They are taken via ProctorU or can be proctored at any Strayer campus. They cost $100 and give you credit for Strayer specific classes. They are listed on transcript as pass/fail credit (so I assume they would be transferable).

Still waiting confirmation on if you have to be an enrolled student. She kept asking for my Strayer Student ID #, which I have, so it may be needed to take them. The exams test the knowledge obtained in the class which is listed in the Strayer course guide. Key thing to remember is that Strayer makes its own textbooks and the classes are textbook specific. I have registered to take three exams and will let everyone know how they go. I here they are very broad and difficult. I can't imagine it would be any more difficult than the ones I took at WGU.

They are normally about 50 questions.
barbeque22 Wrote:So I finally found someone at Strayer that knows about the process, etc.

The Strayer Challenge Exams are no longer open book. They are taken via ProctorU or can be proctored at any Strayer campus. They cost $100 and give you credit for Strayer specific classes. They are listed on transcript as pass/fail credit (so I assume they would be transferable).

Still waiting confirmation on if you have to be an enrolled student. She kept asking for my Strayer Student ID #, which I have, so it may be needed to take them. The exams test the knowledge obtained in the class which is listed in the Strayer course guide. Key thing to remember is that Strayer makes its own textbooks and the classes are textbook specific. I have registered to take three exams and will let everyone know how they go. I here they are very broad and difficult. I can't imagine it would be any more difficult than the ones I took at WGU.

They are normally about 50 questions.

Sounds interesting but more costly than a CLEP. Have you got advisor approval for these challenge exams from your college of choice. Strayer transcribes in quarter credit hours. How will that transfer to your COC?
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,
They have a lot of exams that aren't typically found as CBE, which is really making me think about potentially switching to Strayer... though not sure how they would treat my SL and Aleks credits which I need.

*ETA: Just checked, challenge exams do not count toward their residency requirement for degree granting, but I would still be interested in taking some of their exams for transfer.
AAS in Environmental Safety & Security Technologies from TESC - Completed 2014
and BA Emergency & Disaster Mgmt at American Military University with a minor in Security Management - Completed

Completed:
FEMA: 20 credit hours, B&M: 33 credit hours, AARTS: 14 credit hours, certifications
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpret. Literature CLEP - 66, English Composition Modular CLEP - 58, American Government CLEP - 58, Social Sciences & History CLEP - 63
DSST: Intro to Computing DSST - 452
Straighterline: Business Ethics (88%), Criminal Justice (94%), World Religions (93%), Cultural Anthropology (92%), Intro to Sociology (94%)
TECEP: CIS 107, ENGL 102, PSY 270, BIO 208
SteveFoerster Wrote:Those are strong words -- can you back them up? I took a few courses through them and had a good experience. Granted that this was a long time ago, but they were already a publicly traded and rapidly growing institution at that time.

Again, I know nothing about the "challenge exams". If they count for credit at only $100 and the school doesn't screw you on the transcript process then go forth by all means. Strayer U however shares the typical for profit MO of promising a lot, milking the F/A system, and focusing on selling over educating. It's not that I find the model immoral, its that I think there are so many better alternatives that I question the individulas decision to pursue a program of study that will set the vast majority of students on a shaky fiscal path of debt with poor outlook for future earnings. Stories like this: For-profit colleges grab big share of GI Bill money | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com "Strayer University, the No. 1 recipient of Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits in Virginia last year, devotes 52 percent of its revenue to marketing and profit, according to a staff analysis last month from the U.S. Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee."

Let's consider the cost of Strayer Tuition and Fees | Tuition and Financial Aid At the undergrad level it runs $1400/course rack rate. And look at the ad that pops up on that page...some weird concept that Strayer is going to give you back $14,200 in their "graduation fund" might as well say "what do I have to do to put you in this car...err....degree today".

A few other links:
Would You Go to Strayer University? | Center for American Progress

This New York Times article http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/30/educat...d=all&_r=0 on the Senator Harkin report states of Strayer "Robert S. Silberman, the chief executive of Strayer Education, made $41 million in 2009, including stock options." rather astounding that that came when Drew Faust president of Harvard only makes about a million a year. and the money is made on the carcass of those to dumb to know any better.

Read through Harkin's actual report to see that Strayer is a pack leader in receipt of Post 911 GI Bill Benefits yet helps leads the way in student drop outs. http://www.harkin.senate.gov/documents/p...292704.pdf

If Strayer worked for you great. If the Challenge exams are legit, awesome, we should compile a list and plug them into the Big 3 degree plans. But that won't change the perception that Strayer University is an undesirable actor in US Higher education.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
defscarlett Wrote:They have a lot of exams that aren't typically found as CBE, which is really making me think about potentially switching to Strayer... though not sure how they would treat my SL and Aleks credits which I need.

*ETA: Just checked, challenge exams do not count toward their residency requirement for degree granting, but I would still be interested in taking some of their exams for transfer.

I know they recently started accepting Straighterline....not sure about ALEKS.

Strayer University Course Equivalency Guide | StraighterLine

Yes, they do not count for residency requirements. You are required to take 12 classes at Strayer to graduate from there. As for the transfer of quarter to semester credits. The classes at Strayer are 4.5 credits which equal 3 semester credits of transfer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Major Study: Unproctored Online Exams Provide Meaningful Assessment Jonathan Whatley 0 333 11-16-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Exciting News at ENEB! Introducing test-type exams to fast-track your studie akr680 37 5,413 10-27-2023, 06:53 AM
Last Post: karehiro
  Anybody taken any certification exams (CPA, CIA, CFE, etc.)? kevinmane 9 2,339 08-21-2022, 11:19 PM
Last Post: lisarox
Information New Batch of Microsoft Exams are now ACE(data, cloud, cs, UL) MNomadic 5 1,359 04-05-2022, 04:56 AM
Last Post: jch
  Cambridge International Exams - A Level or AS Level exams Lydclrk 1 695 09-17-2021, 06:07 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
Exclamation Is Sophia similar to Study in terms of course format and allow Open Book exams? OP88 4 1,293 05-26-2021, 05:29 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Applied to Strayer University - FREE Winter term! bjcheung77 14 2,541 11-13-2020, 02:27 PM
Last Post: ylmir
  Pearson OnVUE - Online Excelsior Exams bjcheung77 5 1,316 09-23-2020, 11:33 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  Does your community college offer challenge exams? muu9 2 963 07-19-2020, 04:21 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Course hero membership... Worth it for SL final exams? onmygo 2 3,879 03-07-2020, 01:41 PM
Last Post: Lacedonia4